Refusal to pay for apps/software

Hrishi

WHat happens if somebody is caught using a P*****d android app , ?? Say , you receive an email from APp developer for copyright infringm*** ??? Threatens to contact ISP , local authority , google store ?? gets access to your IP , GEo-Location , IMEI ???
Can this be fixed , if we buy the app from playstore ???

Actually I want to purchase apps from PlayStore but unfortunately it doesn't seems to accept Kotak NetCard/VCC or any indian Debit Card .

tkin

Back to school!!
WHat happens if somebody is caught using a P*****d android app , ?? Say , you receive an email from APp developer for copyright infringm*** ??? Threatens to contact ISP , local authority , google store ?? gets access to your IP , GEo-Location , IMEI ???

Actually I want to purchase apps from PlayStore but unfortunately it doesn't seems to accept Kotak NetCard/VCC or any indian Debit Card .
Chill dude, this is India, its not easy for some foreign app dev to come here to sue you, most app dev can't afford to chase you around like that, specially come and do it in India.

PS: I do not support piracy.

Hrishi

Chill dude, this is India, its not easy for some foreign app dev to come here to sue you, most app dev can't afford to chase you around like that, specially come and do it in India.

PS: I do not support piracy.
But is there any except Credit Cards to use at PlayStore.
I don't want to get in trouble in future.And will try to resolve this issue as well by purchasing that app.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

How do you think does The Pirate Bay evade copyright infringement?

Go to TPB's site and click on Legal (something like that) and you can see all the mail that different companies have sent them and their replies.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
How do you think does The Pirate Bay evade copyright infringement?

Go to TPB's site and click on Legal (something like that) and you can see all the mail that different companies have sent them and their replies.

Legal threats. The Pirate Bay - The galaxy's most resilient bittorrent site

Pat

Beyond Smart
I am proud of the fact that I have purchased 11 of the Top 15 Paid Apps in the playstore. I guess we should open a show-off thread for the Apps/Softwares legally purchased since that (showing off) is one thing that comes naturally to a lot of Indians and maybe that would lead to some of us actually purchasing wares legally.

playstore.jpg

Hrishi

BUt what usually happens if a legal action is taken for this in India. ? Maximum penalty for it ????

I am proud of the fact that I have purchased 11 of the Top 15 Paid Apps in the playstore. I guess we should open a show-off thread for the Apps/Softwares legally purchased since that (showing off) is one thing that comes naturally to a lot of Indians and maybe that would lead to some of us actually purchasing wares legally.

View attachment 8282

:eyebrow: , :mad:_@:

tkin

Back to school!!

View attachment 8282
Ah, but there's one problem, when you show off hardware we get jealous, cause we can't just go and steal some, but softwares, what will you show off? We'll take it and return it hundred fold(just kidding). Won't work, and as per softwares go impossible to differentiate between purchased and pirated.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
if piracy was less, how much more software we would have, and what would be the quality of that software?
we are jeopardizing our own computing machines, reducing the options we have with rampant piracy

Pat

Beyond Smart
Ah, but there's one problem, when you show off hardware we get jealous, cause we can't just go and steal some, but softwares, what will you show off? We'll take it and return it hundred fold(just kidding). Won't work, and as per softwares go impossible to differentiate between purchased and pirated.

Umm.Well I guess you did not see my attached screenshot. And in any case, my comment was made in a lighter vein. :)

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
I think it's a multi level problem. Lack of regard of Intellectual Property in the end user's mind being the most unfortunate one.

Unofficial PC owners: Obviously a major part of the problem. These machines have no warranty, no stability and no legit software. Their target: non tech savvy people they can easily bluff.

The End Users: "you paid $$$$ for that windows? I paid just Rs100 LoL " is a common remark. All they want is all the latest new movies, songs and software without paying anything.

Law Enforcement: I dont think indian law enforcement are doing enough to tackle piracy. It is done so openly that it is scary. raiding a few shacks in Nehru Place is NOT enough. The laid back lazy and slacking attitude of the law enforcement is not helping at all.
(*news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57499519-38/court-affirms-$675000-penalty-in-music-downloading-case/)
One of my friend downloaded MW4 through torrent. a week later, he got a letter from ISP warning him the consequences of Online piracy. Along with the letter from software alliance who busted the illegal download. They had the WAN IP, local IP, Computer name, MAC, exact name of the torrent file, file size and duration of download. They told him to stop the activities immediately. If not, they will cancel his internet connection and prohibit him from getting a new connection for 6 months(here you need SSN to get internet connection) AND also initiate a lawsuit against him.
Now he is totally piracy free and feels good about it.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
One of my friend downloaded MW4 through torrent. a week later, he got a letter from ISP warning him the consequences of Online piracy. Along with the letter from software alliance who busted the illegal download. They had the WAN IP, local IP, Computer name, MAC, exact name of the torrent file, file size and duration of download. They told him to stop the activities immediately. If not, they will cancel his internet connection and prohibit him from getting a new connection for 6 months(here you need SSN to get internet connection) AND also initiate a lawsuit against him.

Where did this happen? Not India for sure..

tkin

Back to school!!
I think it's a multi level problem. Lack of regard of Intellectual Property in the end user's mind being the most unfortunate one.

Unofficial PC owners: Obviously a major part of the problem. These machines have no warranty, no stability and no legit software. Their target: non tech savvy people they can easily bluff.

The End Users: "you paid $$$$ for that windows? I paid just Rs100 LoL " is a common remark. All they want is all the latest new movies, songs and software without paying anything.

Law Enforcement: I dont think indian law enforcement are doing enough to tackle piracy. It is done so openly that it is scary. raiding a few shacks in Nehru Place is NOT enough. The laid back lazy and slacking attitude of the law enforcement is not helping at all.
(*news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-57499519-38/court-affirms-$675000-penalty-in-music-downloading-case/)
For a mere $10 per month one could use a BT proxy, your friend is stupid, no offense.

PS: I don't support piracy either, I buy android apps, but one can't expect me to pay 10000/- for an OS, PPP wise the OS should be sold for 2000-3000/- max in India, not more, same with tools like photoshop, office etc, we do not live in a country where average wage of a software engineer is 50LPA, its 1/10th of that. I won't pay 2.5k for a game which is pocket change in USA, sell it for 500/- and I'll buy every one of them(GTA IV, LC all bought, gonna buy BF3)

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
Where did this happen? Not India for sure..

It was in USA

For a mere $10 per month one could use a BT proxy, your friend is stupid, no offense.

PS: I don't support piracy either, I buy android apps, but one can't expect me to pay 10000/- for an OS, PPP wise the OS should be sold for 2000-3000/- max in India, not more, same with tools like photoshop, office etc, we do not live in a country where average wage of a software engineer is 50LPA, its 1/10th of that. I won't pay 2.5k for a game which is pocket change in USA, sell it for 500/- and I'll buy every one of them(GTA IV, LC all bought, gonna buy BF3)

So, you're telling me it's ok for a guy to break into a car showroom and steal the latest BMW's and claim that "one can't expect me to pay 5000000 for a car", "they should be sold for 1000000 or less" "we do not live in a rich country"?? Do you think it's right? If someone is selling a product, you like it and you think it's overpriced, do you steal it?

tkin

Back to school!!
[/COLOR]It was in USA

So, you're telling me it's ok for a guy to break into a car showroom and steal the latest BMW's and claim that "one can't expect me to pay 5000000 for a car", "they should be sold for 1000000 or less" "we do not live in a rich country"?? Do you think it's right? If someone is selling a product, you like it and you think it's overpriced, do you steal it?
Nope, but I can buy an alto if I like, suppose there was a monopoly, ever car sold is a BMW, and suppose you can't get to work or move without a car, what would you do?

MS has a monopoly in OS market, almost 99% of all pc softwares and games are made for it, hence we don't have a choice. I do not pirate apps, I don't have to, there are enough free alternatives to do the job, but what would I do without an OS?

Also an interesting fact, you know that India does not support patents for medicines, hence you can buy drugs at dirt cheap rate here, there has been some lobbying going on for months trying to pass a bill so all medicines will cost as same as US counterparts, will you support that bill?

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^to drugs, the answer is no. but it is meaningless to compare the prices for every category of goods, the price depends on various factors including geographic distance from source, subsidies by companies, protectionist policies, or compulsory license policies (drugs, education, broadcast etc)
to some extent this may be an intellectual property rights problem, but only to some extent, but that is a smaller danger in comparison to what rampant piracy does to software.
there is the very real problem of software becoming dirt cheap, and more importantly, the failure rate is too high, you need considerable marketing and visibility for software to be success at the current pricing schemes. it is a question of finding sponsors for art, where software is different is there is no other media for delivery. a movie is still screened in theatres, a song is still performed in stadiums. whatsapp is just an app, why do you expect it to be free? kickstarter is a great idea, so is microfinance, but the successful projects seem limited compared to the sheer number of failed projects.
subscription and micro transactions are helping solving both these problems,
there is a direct relation, who knows, maybe google would find it fit to subsidize nexus devices to US prices if people here invested in apps instead of just reviewing them
then there is the question of quality. the argument is that there is free software alternatives for everything paid. there are free music released on jamendo, and free movies released all over the place... legit ones on YouTube as well. why not consume these as against pirate? obviously free content is no substitute for paid content

Sarath

iDota
Spent an hour trying to add a CC to my Apple account. This reminds me of one more reason. Legit SW is just too much pain to buy.

I hope they start selling apple app store gift cards in India and stop taking it for granted that we will be pirating them. :|

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
oh it's a hassle even then, only a fraction of the content and services are available even if you are willing to pay

in fact, with increasing reach and connectivity, the services are actually being withdrawn from the places they were initially available in, it is bizarre, as if increased connectivity, increased the piracy burden, pushed up the server, maintenance and support costs - this can be as indirect as the number of signups for the software forum - and then subsequent withdrawals from entire markets. obviously software companies will focus on viable customer bases.

software will be free when it is free to make

Top Bottom