really very tricky gaming pc config under 45k....can anyone help me?

ramesh4388

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer?
What all applications and games are you
going to run? (Stupid answers like
'gaming' or 'office work' will not work.
Be exact. Which games? Which
applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

Ans:a compact gaming pc which can play crysis warhead at mid-high settings

2. What is your overall budget? If you
can extend a bit for a more balanced
configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 40-45k max

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: if possible yes

4. Which Operating System are you
planning to use?

Ans:windows 7 and occasionally ubuntu

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans:320 gb or more but strictly a 2.5 inch drive

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes,
please mention which screen size and
resolution do you want. If you already
have a monitor and want to reuse it,
again mention the size and resolution of
monitor you have.

Ans: a slim 12 inch or less LCD monitor with 1280*1024 resolution

7. Which components you DON'T want to
buy or which components you already
have and plan on reusing?

Ans:DVD drive, ups,mouse and keyboard(I've planned to buy razor cyclosa bundle outside the budget)

8. When are you planning to buy the
system?

Ans: within a month but asap if I get good suggestions

9. Have you ever built a desktop before
or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: no it ll be done by an assembler

10. Where do you live? Are you buying
locally? Are you open to buying stuff
from online shops if you don't get
locally?

Ans: Madurai but I'll be taking all components from online only

11. Anything else which you would like to
say?

Ans:now comes the tricky part......
thanks everyone ....

1.I'm from armed forces and I 'm posted in a place where there is no electricity or mobile networks and would be carrying it for long distances frequently by foot.

2. I want the pc to be powerful and pls suggest me a best compact pc only...its ok if it doesn't fit inside my laptop bag but should not be bulky. I want the pc to be a maximum 4 inches thick .no problems with length and breadth....

3. I also would love to buy a laptop but I already have one hp dv4 series laptop and I wish to buy a pc which will be my desktop pc after a year with some upgrades and I'll be taking a new laptop after a year.that's why after so much thought I settled for a pc.

4. I have a microtek 800 va ups and two 30ah batteries for back up and it is charged by a generator for 3 hrs daily.the pc should be able to run for maximum time for the above set up.

5. I'm open to both Intel/AMD rig.

6. I WANT THE RIG TO BE AS COMPACT AS POSSIBLE(Top priority)

7. I require atleast 2* USB 3.0 ports and 1*esata port.

8. pls suggest me a good external USB 3.0 DVD writer (outside budget)

9. I 've some queries as follows:

a) can I use an external power brick since it'll help making the config more compact ? if yes then pls suggest accordingly.

b)are there any tablet pc around 15k which can doubleup as a monitor for my setup?if yes my budget can extend upto 60-65k.

c) is there any powerful half height graphic card which does not use additional power but able to play latest games at mid-high settings?

d) how good are AMD APU's and can it be crosssfired with additional GPU?

10. and finally I thank everyone in advance who help me....

Last edited:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
to be slim, you'll need a cabinet like Cooler Master Elite 100. but it comes with a 150W PSU which won't be sufficient for even GPU less PCs. finding an alternate slim PSU won't be easy here.

also cause it is slim tower, there can be problem fitting in AMD coolers. Intel HSF should fit in just fine. they are really low nowadays but as you already know Intel IGP = absolute crap. and as you can't add a GPU gaming is next to impossible here.

so its better to buy a laptop. also laptops that can run games at moderate settings doesn't cost a lot. should come easily in your budget.

8. I 've some queries as follows:

a) can I use an external power brick since it'll help making the config more compact ? if yes then pls suggest accordingly.

b)are there any tablet pc around 15k which can doubleup as a monitor for my setup?if yes my budget can extend upto 60-65k.

c) is there any powerful half height graphic card which does not use additional power but able to play latest games at mid-high settings?

d) how good are AMD APU's and can it be crosssfired with additional GPU?

a. no. external power bricks are usually designed for low power desktops (AMD Brazos or Intel Atom).

b. instead for 65k, you can have some really nice gaming laptops.

c. there are many but to fit a half height GPU in a cabby, cabinet must have a certain width. and you can't fit such cabinets into laptop bag. not possible.

d. APUs are ok for casual gaming. it can be XFired but the performance gain is not worth it. so it should either be APU or Intel proccy + GPU.

Niilesh

Padawan
You should probably buy a laptop. There are options for ASUS and HP

BTW a idea struck in my mind
Buy PS3 slim and install linux(or Windows) on it (there are many tutorials available). You can upgrade its hard disk without voiding warranty. Also you can install linux without voiding warranty but installing windows voids the warranty.

Last edited:

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
d. APUs are ok for casual gaming. it can be XFired but the performance gain is not worth it. so it should either be APU or Intel proccy + GPU.

worth it. Check anandtech APU reviews. Though the drivers & BIOS are still buggy and not mature, they are expected to be fine, with trinity.

OP
R

ramesh4388

thanks everyone .....

1. I also would love to buy a laptop but I already have one hp dv4 series laptop and I wish to buy a pc which will be my desktop pc after a year with some upgrades and I'll be taking a new laptop after a year.that's why after so much thought I settled for a pc.

2. pls suggest me a best compact pc only...its ok if it doesn't fit inside my laptop bag but should not be bulky. I want the pc to be a maximum 4 inches thick .no problems with length and breadth.....

3. Also please give suggestions for a tablet pc which can also be used as a monitor.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Gaming PC in a very slim case is not recommended. It won't be tricky, it will be foolish as it might damage components due to overheating.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
ramesh - HP DV4-3016TX

HP Pavilion dv4-3016tx Price in India, HP dv4-3016tx Specs & Features

Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M
Chipset: Intel HM65 Graphics
Memory: 4 GB DDR3 RAM
Hard Disk: 500 GB SATA Drive
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon-6750M HD
Display: 14.0” High-Definition LED Bright view
Optical Drive: Super-Multi with Dual Layer
Webcam: HP True Vision High-Definition
Connect: Bluetooth and Wireless LAN
Gigabit Ethernet LAN
Audio: Altec Lancing Speakers with Dolby Digital
Adapter: 90 Watt AC Power
Lock Slot: Kensington Micro-Saver
Dimension: 23.8 x 34 x 2.81-inch
Weight: Approx 2.22 Kg

Price 42,990/-

You cant make a slim PC that will game better or beat this laptop.

OP
R

ramesh4388

ok....after reading all your comments a new doubt came on ma mind.....again a tricky one...

1. Presently i'm using hp pavilion dv4 1157 tx model laptop bought on june 2009.my question is that hp models external design hasn't changed much even after some 3 years.so can i replace it with the latest mother board with graphics card totally and keep the external design the same?how much will it cost me if it is possible?

2.my one question still remains unanswered.is there any tablet which can be used as primary monitor for a pc?

thanks........

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
ok....after reading all your comments a new doubt came on ma mind.....again a tricky one...

1. Presently i'm using hp pavilion dv4 1157 tx model laptop bought on june 2009.my question is that hp models external design hasn't changed much even after some 3 years.so can i replace it with the latest mother board with graphics card totally and keep the external design the same?how much will it cost me if it is possible?

2.my one question still remains unanswered.is there any tablet which can be used as primary monitor for a pc?

thanks........
1) Nope.
2) Nope.

saswat23

Human Spambot
Except for RAM and HDD you cant upgrade anything in a laptop.
For slim tower cabinets, look at Zebronics Slim series. They have some good models.

Zebronics - Cabinets - Slim Series
Any of these will cost around Rs.2000 or less w/o PSU. I think you can also add a good PSU in these cabinets too.

Cilus

laborare est orare
May I know why you really need a Slim Tower cabinet for gaming rig? In Most cases they can't accommodate bigger PSUs.

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
Antec ISK300-150 Cabinet ~5k
Core i3 2100 + Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 ~12k
G. Skill(or any other) 4GB SODIMM ~1.8k
Sapphire low profile 6670 1GB DDR5/128bit ~6k
hdd 2.5" 500GB ~5k (Not sure about price but it shud be around 5k)

All inclusive around ~30k (all prices are going to vary 200-300 rupees higher or lower.. depending on many things.)

for ur situation I still think lappy is better way to go. U can go for this config if u absolutely have to!

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
d6bmg -

Yeah but power consumption of an i3-2100 based machine(with HD 5870 in Idle) is about 80W in Idle & 115W in full load(with HD5870 idle, only CPU under full load.)

AMD 960T is 95W @ Idle and 960T based system with full cpu load will consume wud consume in excess of 150W and I dont think the PSU in any slim cabinet can handle that........

+ tomshardware says avg game performance of i3-2100 @ 1080p is about 5-7% higher than PIIX4970...

with i3-2100 u can have some power remaining for the gpu which is more imp in gaming. I wudve suggested Pentium G860 but thats Dual Core only - no HT and the power consumption is not very different from i3 2100 plus - ramesh wants to play crysis.......

Cilus - heating is not gng to be a problem with this config. It will run a little hot and fans will be a little loud but thats the max that will happen CPU wont cross 55 deg C and GPU will also be not so hot maybe mid 80's but thats all....

Top Bottom