"RailWire" to provide 4/8/16/32 mbps, UNLIMITED @ Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
Railtel(RailWire), a public sector organisation under the Railways taking care of the transport behemoths telecommunication aspects, is now planning to exploit its vast reach by providing high speed broadband connectivity.

The venture will be initiated in Karnataka, at Bellary, Tumkur and a small pocket in Whitefield before being extended across the country. It is expected to begin within two months.

Christened “Railwire”, the initiative’s aim is to provide an application driven network with high speed access to the internet at an affordable cost. Given the low PC penetration, Railtel also plans to manufacture “Thin client PCs”, ranging between Rs 4,000 and Rs 5,000, in association with a partner.

“The thrust is to provide these services in Tier-II and Tier-III cities as the Tier-I cities are somewhat well connected. Hence, the idea to pilot the project at the above districts,” sources said.

*www.deccanherald.com/DeccanHerald.com/Content/Mar162008/scroll2008031657759.asp?section=updatenews
*vinuthomas.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=8612/postdays=0/postorder=asc/start=0.html
*www.railwire.in/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=17&Itemid=43

Home Access: Unlimited Usage

Plan No. /Port Speed*/Monthly Charges**(InRupee)

iRW002 256 Kbps 320
iRW004 512 Kbps 620
iRW006 1 Mbps 920
iRW008 2 Mbps 1220
iRW010 4 Mbps 2120
iRW012 8 Mbps 3620
iRW014 16 Mbps 6920
iRW016 32 Mbps 13520

*Port speeds are on 1:4 contention ratio
**Monthly charges are exclusive of applicable taxes and levies​

Last edited:

sourav123

Thinking Different
The charges look good. But why are they targeting Tier-II and Tier-III cities. In Tier-I cities, connection may be there but the charges are much higher than these. I think once they provide connectivity on Tier-I cities, competitiors will also be forced to lower their charges. Good for the consumer. :)

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
@Tech.Masti,

they will be using the railway's present infrastructure which was previously and currently used for their internal communication needs.

I've read somewhere that it wont be using the NIB and there is no "upto x mb/s" crap

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
It can also lead to BSNL & MTNL reducing their rates.........:D :D :D

kato

Karthiksn
Hmm.. from what I have heard and seen from my friends at railways and living in railway quarters, they always get crappy connection speed.

The price looks promising. If such thing is introduced in Tier-I cities then definitely other ISPs will be forced to reduce their prices. But I am pretty sure others will try to create hindrance for such a project.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
wow ..awesome...

i can live with 1:4... coz in my village... many wont use...

i will go for 2MB or 1MB connection if launched...

superb...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom