Pursuing my ambition to become a Game Designer

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
And btw, I will reply to the posts from 8th next month onwards because I am going to my native land for an occasion and I won't find the comfort of Internet there. Sorry for this cuz I know I posted this thread for my questions.

Just know that the town-builder game "Banished" one of the top rated game on Metacritic ( in the past 6 months or so), was made by ONE GUY, ALL-FRIGGIN-ALONE. Its not a mod or a add on sh*t like Counterstrike 1.6 or Dota...its a proper city builder with really innovative UI designs(you can rearrange HUDs like you do in Photoshop and all, now why didnt other devs think of that before??)

Go indie, lots and lots of people will be more than willing to kickstart your project with $Millions$ and then you can ditch their a$$ and sell your project to Zuckerberg-like-people for $Billions$

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
[MENTION=146650]nikhilsharma007nikx[/MENTION] What I meant to say was that should I try softwares to edit simple indie games.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Actual game developers are not "gamers".. Get it out of the head that you are doing something constructive, if you spend long hours gaming..
Ofcourse, you may try and taste various games to see the mechanics and all, to try and replicate them to learn but gaming in general has nothing to do with gamedevelopment
Start with Unity 3D course by Brackeys, if you are really serious about gamedevelopment, then you will get better at it

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
yes, modifying open source indie games is great for learning
canabalt is an example of an open source indie games with multiple games based on the engine in the stores

one guy doing everything alone is possible... but it involves a wide range of work. Aerox is an example. apart from making the game, composing the music and marketing.

And tell me something, how in the hell do you guys have so much knowledge on these courses and streams and stuff like that?!

Doing Game design in a studio called Motion Makers. joining Multimedia Technologies course in ICAT from July.

flyingcow

Shibe
*open.commonly.cc/

Thanks!
this has a bunch of games with their source codes..
might help if you wanna fiddle around

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
Thanks for the website. I am on the Ipad right now since I am not home. Will check it out as soon as I reach home.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Game Maven from Crunchzilla

more here > *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/programming/182192-interactive-online-programming-tutorials-thread.html

OP
GamerSlayer

GamerSlayer

ProdiGeek
Hey guys, I am taking PCM with Computer Science (C++). I have done this with the assumption that Physics is very much necessary for my ambition. Am I right? Should I take Commerce?!

Wth ! are you trying to say that you would be happy to be with Commerce Hun ??? i would rather say stick with science ... physics is very much necessary and still you don't have your goal at a fixed point so i would suggest to keep other options always open .Don't worry too much and start preparing for IIT till its too late.

adityak469

Training To Beat Goku
ok so my condition is same like OP. i am pretty sure of getting a 9.8 or 10 in my boards. i also want to be a game designer.

so i have plenty of time nowadays as holidays are on and as stated here, currently i am downloading Unity 3D and will try it out. currently i whatsoever have no knowledge in designing. unlike OP, i don't play much games as my pc sucks, a pD,2GB RAm and a 210. will i need a good pc to run unity? and unlike op, i am pursuing iit with computer science. am i on the right path? i have also joined an coaching institute for PCM and i am looking to join an coaching institute for computer science. which coaching institutes should i go for?

Last edited:

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
how did I miss this thread!! I have already posted info in some thread, am going to repeat.

In any game development studio there will be many artists, programmers, designers, managers. If you start your own company or go indie you do everything yourself. If you want to join a big company you must select one of the four tracks I have mentioned above.

If you want to work for next big FPS game or Next big MMO you should join one of the big companies!

To join a big studio like Activision, Valve, Blizzard, Riot... you must be in US, not here in India.

1. For Artist you should be good in photoshop, Maya, 3ds max, even production tools.
2. For programming you should kick ass in coding, must be from good US college. if you do b.tech here, then MS must in US

Take up science in 11th or PUC, CS in Engineering then get good marks on paper, then go to US for MS in game development.

You could choose to work on game engine, such as crytek or unreal or unity3d, working on game engine is entirely different from working in a game studio.. game studios make games using the game engine.

game engine programming is the core programming job.. is 3d graphics programming. Its no where near as pretty as playing a game or even as nice as making a game. Its too much math.. vectors.. and algorithms.
and physics engine programming, its a different ball game all together..

the game programmers, they work on the game itself, not the engine, they take the game engine, the physics, then integrate all the assets, the models, images, audio and then add game logic to it, the AI, the win-lose conditions, the way the world behaves..

To make a high quality game like call of duty or battlefield, it takes team of over a hundred people over two years, just see the credits.

Finally,
Some companies like Riot hire only people who play Leage of legends, most other companies don't bother.. you should be good at what you do..
however its mostly gamers that end up in game studios..

however crytek may hire PhDs and super nerdy programmers.. and even microsoft, google, apple, nvidia, amd will hire PhD who don't know sh1t about gaming..

Its these people at Microsoft work on DirectX, remember directX is backbone of all gaming.. same with google android and apple iOS..

Indie track.. in this case ..why even go to school ?
Here there are no limits, start your own company like Rovio(Angry birds) Or big studio (blizzard)

Last edited:
Top Bottom