ps3 or a cpu for 35000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Red ring of death.in simple terms a fault with x box 360 for which ms provides instant replacement unless u have modified it in any way.
If u mod one be prepared to lose ur console someday.but if using original games-the way it should be,u don't need to worry.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^Doesn't the warranty extension give you a hint of the proximity of the issue?

The reason why this extension was made was mainly because many console which have been suffering this problem had been happening outside warranty for the unmodded consoles.Hence MS had to extend it for the existing users as well as a goodwill.This is way back when the problem had first taken root & then was reported on a large scale.

You can read this 1UP report which was back in Feb 2008:
*www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3166259 OR
*www.joystiq.com/2008/02/14/xbox-360-failure-rate-at-16-warranty-provider-reports/3 OR
*blogs.guardian.co.uk/games/archives/2008/01/22/the_xbox_360_failures_the_inside_story.html

Modding the console has very little or nothing to do with the console facing RRoD issue.A large portion of it is caused due to overheating of the console.Poor ventilation with prolonged hours of gameplay may lead to this incident happening on any console.Just because you haven't got a single RRoD till now doesn't mean most Xbox 360's are safe from the issue.It is persistent in all versions.Modded,unmodded,foreign,alein,elite.You name it & that has it.If you haven't got it till now, lucky you.But don't expect a full replacement of the console with it suffering an RRoD post a year.

I am not here to say anything bad about the console.But just to inform you that stating RRoD issue being more prone to modded console is a joke.The console is rock solid when it comes to features & other things but reliability is the biggest question for all of these next-generation consoles.And yes, that includes PS3 too.;)

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
what's the year all you guys expect in which xbox 360 is going to loose it's support from the developers(the same state now ps2 is facing). And what's of ps3.

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
^PS2 hasn't lost it all.There are games still being developed till 2009.A prime example is THQ's WWE RAW VS Smackdown 2009.It's very hard to predict when the developers would abandon the support.It mainly depends on the popularity & the sales gained from each of them.The original Xbox is left alone with the advent of the Xbox 360.So people were very disappointed when that happened.PS2 still had Sony gunning it's first party titles to keep it alive albeit it had the PS3 up & running.God of War II which was originally supposed to be on PS3 had then returned to PS2 & pushed it's limits to a newer heights.So there is no telling when it will stop per se.The time is now & if you go for either one of these console you'll have a long journey ahead.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Thanx allwyndlima for backing me up man, felt like a lone Para SF guy in Pak ranger territory.:D Now looks like we 2 r here in favor of PS3 and rest for PC,XBOX 360.
For a moment I too thought that the guy should go for XBOX 360 but then remembered the RROd's and the soon-to-be-dead DVD format so finally made up the point to go for PS3 anyways, ignoring the high running costs initially.;-)

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
HEHE! Nothing like that Rudick.I personally feel the Xbox 360 is as good as a console as the PS3.Let's face it,that was the console which really had started the next generation era for consoles.The reason why it has a large library is because it was launched a year before PS3.I am not divulged towards one console as such but rather than the games I would rather prefer a unit which is more stable.Wich is the sole reason why it's preventing me from buying any current console.PS2 never had such issue wherein the console would entirely die out.But then again that was last generation console so I would leave it at that.The reason why I am currently sticking to PC gaming is merely because it's very flexible & lot cheaper compared to consoles.Though later on I might change my mind if I really need to try out GOW3.Honetly,at this point I can easily get either of these console but the games are a totally different ball game.Getting 2.5k titles is a bit out of my reach.Hence I recommended a PC upgrade to the OP.If he can afford the game then nothing like it.PS3 would be a good bet as it's failure rate is a bit low compared to the 360.Now with stores like Croma offering extended warranty on it then I guess it's a really good purchase.Give it some time & the titles would start to flow in.So it's his call as to what he needs the most.

OP
vamsi_krishna

vamsi_krishna

Human Spambot
I want some clarifications,

1) does all the ps3 versions has backward compatability,
2) does ps3 can run Operating Systems,
3) how much it costs to purchase another controller
4) can i connect ps3 to computer
5) can i upgrade ps3 hrad disc
6) I heard that some of the games like MGS 4 needs installation on ps3 to play the game. is it true.

finally, is it having any problems like RROD in xbox or something like that?

Please be patient and answer my doubts.

napster007

Padawan
1.) NO only the 60gb version has backward compatibility.
2.) yes...it can run linux and also windows xp with some mods
3.) original one can cost upto 1600-2000
4.) I'm not sure.
5.) not sure...but most probably not.
6.) again..not sure

no till date...no PS3 customer came back unsatisfied. There's no problem like the RROD in PS3.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
i got a ps3 on account of its hype.if it not had been this rrod i think 360 would have ruled.next to wii though which is superb..still ms is good at replacing consoles..m now thinking of dumping a ps3, getting a wii and sports kit.waiting to play mgs though. and i really don't understand the idea of running os on a console,modding it,etc.be it any console not only these 2.get a pc if u r looking for these features :|

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
I want some clarifications,

1) does all the ps3 versions has backward compatability,
2) does ps3 can run Operating Systems,
3) how much it costs to purchase another controller
4) can i connect ps3 to computer
5) can i upgrade ps3 hrad disc
6) I heard that some of the games like MGS 4 needs installation on ps3 to play the game. is it true.

finally, is it having any problems like RROD in xbox or something like that?

Please be patient and answer my doubts.
Lets clear the $h1t up:

1. The 60 GB and now soon-to-be launched 80Gb versions of PS3 can run PS2 games.
  2. PS3 can run other OS. People have installed Ubuntu,Fedora,OpenSUSE on their PS3's. A Linux distro "Gentoox" is specifically made for consoles.
  3. well the price of SIXAXIS is between 2-2.5K with Rumble3 coming in soon it would cost almost 3K.
  4. Yes you can connect PS3 to a PC(XP,Vista whatever but through a 3rd party software.)
  5. The best thing about PS3 is that you can upgrade its 2.5" HDD and it doesn't even voids Warranty.:p I know guys who bought 40GB PS3 and replaced its Hard Disk with a 250GB one. Moreover you don't have to buy the HDD from Sony, any HDD from makers like Seagate,Western Digital,Hitachi etc would suffice.
  6. To decrease the load times and improve console efficiency and decrease processing overhead and Seek Time from the Bl-Ray drive games in PS3 create their temporary dump where all necessary files are kept. They say that you can play GTA4 off the HDD of PS3 but won't be able listen to radio stations or see cut scenes. Full Installation is not and will never be possible legally as it paves path for Piracy.
My personal thoughts are these, We live in India,the most price conscious people belonging to world's biggest middle class. We always prefer SST i.e. Sasta,Sunder,Tikaoo.:D When it comes to consoles, I would have not even thinked twice before buying XBOX 360 coz it was "Sasta" but it turned out to be "Sasta per Khasta". Now the PS3 on the other hand is "Sunder and Tikaoo". Now not all of us can afford big cooling solutions and frequent trips to resellers to get our busted consoles repaired or replaced. So my thought is this, See for yourself what works for you and go ahead in that direction. We can only show you the path, its you who'll have to walk it.
If XBOX 360 had some Sigma 6 like certification I would've been more than happy to buy it and spend my rest of the money to upgrade my system.
On second thought if you want to go the PC way then its good too coz almost every title for XBOX 360 manages its way on Games for Windows shelf so don't worry about missing the action much on the 360 side.

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
if buying original games is OK , then +1 for ps3 . .if u buy a pc now , for 35k it will hardly last a year or two . i vote against xbox360 because of the rrod issue . so ps3 should do very well for you . .if u have more money left , get a 19' or 22' or 24' LCD screen and enjoy.

P

paranj

look now, if u want to enjoy games of both realms (PC and consoles) i suggest u get the XBox 360 and a 9600GT from MSI or XFX. But if u just want a POWERFUL and a more EXPANDABLE console, go with the PS3. While the PS3 is more powerful thant he X360, the devs. are not supporting it. Only the types of Konami and the GT(dunno the company's name) are making and supporting PS3 by making exclusive games. And both these companies are secretly paid $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ by Sony. While on the other hand MS has a huge support for its console. While there are RRODs ,MS claims they will not exist with new produced units. Coming to OSes, why the heck do u want to install an OS on a console? PCs are meant for that.:) Listen i say the X360 and 9600GT package is more tempting. It makes much more sendse to hit two targets with one arrow. I'll give u some tips too, U go to a store and get a PS3 but than will u buy its expensive games? What will u do with a performance monster when it dosent have any games? MS lost the competition with XBox but with the X360 it takes its revenge. Sony pays companies to manufacture EXCLUSIVE games for its PS3 while it wasnt neede for PS2 as it was popular and priced humanly. On the other hand X360 enjoys a larger fan-following and devs. also love it. Sure MS too bribed companies like Capcom to port its PS exclusives to X360 but otherwise it dosent need too. Its a no brainer to pay thousands more for a PS3 for its raw power and looks. X360 beats it severly. And as u stated u also get a 9600GT so u can experience Crysis too. I am going to buy a console the coming montha nd it will definetly be a X360. NO MATTER WHAT U DO, DONT MOD IT. no modding = 90% no RROD. and if u dont mod it and still get RROD, MS will heartily replace it and the srvice is really good. My bro got it replaced a month back. MS replaced his piece in 4 days. (he lives in Russia) So hope u get my point.

holla,

Get ready to face my god smacking PC configuration

intel pentium 4 - 2.66 Ghz,
intel D 101ggc motherboard,
512MB of ram,
80 GB of hdd,
LG DVD writer
samsung 17" crt monitor,
logitech keyborad and mouse.
whoa me got almost exactly same system.
but I have D915GLVGA motherboard and 256MB RAM.
I know how upset you are, because our systems are not at all fit for gaming and its frustrating when you are of an age when gaming is enjoyable.

I recommend getting a light upgrade to this for under 10k-12k, including Either an nVidia 8200 chipset mobo and a E2160 processor, or AMD 5000+ Black Edition and 780G mobo, and 2GB dual channel ddr2 800 ram. This will atleast ensure that all current games work atleast modest settings on your comp, at 1024x768 resolution.

Try it and you won't be upset. Onboard DirecoX kinda kills most things. It runs older games really fast and newer ones like crysis at low settings.

Only the rest of the money should be invested on a Gaming Console IMO.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
What you need to understand is this that the PS3 hasn't got many exclusive titles for its console and as the time progresses you'll see more and more better games for PS3 coz

1. Don't need to repeat it but have to say, the power of PS3
  2. Acceptance of Blu ray as the successor to DVDs. Face it a single Blu-Ray can store the complete HALO Trilogy and still have some space for Extra content.
  3. Free Online Service of PS3
  4. Reduction in price of SDK for PS3 and coming of the age of the Developers.
If SONY pays $$$$$$ to Capcom ,Polyphony Digital and Konami then its just as M$ to spent $$$$$$$$ on Bungie and Epic(if you don't know who they are, stick ur head back in ur @r$e).

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Read my previous post, the one that's the longest and you'll see what I'm trying to say and I'm not dissin' any console. ;)

m-jeri

Caballero de Real Madrid
rudick,

I know you are a ps3 fan, but don't abuse aother consoles. Every things got there own importance.

^^^....

Let me tell u some simple rules in life.... ;)

1. 360 IS a VFM console....but its a shitty product....rushed up one....
Modding is NOT the reason for RROD....its just faulty heatsink architecture..maybe upcoming jasper will do justice.... dont say falcon..its crappy too....

2. PS3 is a VERY stable and robust console....in a year or so most probably it WILL be the winner of this gen......coz as u can see many more games are coming and devolopers are finally overcoming their initilt grindings.....

U got 2 options....

1. buy a 360..core or prem..... i say in ur budget ..in this case only..buy the core..but risky..as devolopers are saying in future HDD is a must..maybe u can buy it second hand for cheap sometime else.... ok this will be about 15~20k...mod it if u can afford it...that is rrod repairs.... cost u by 3~4k...... not the towel trick..the X-Clamp fix....
and
FOr rext....give ur PC a much needed upgrade..... buy a new mobo+proc+ram....

2. second option...buy the king.....PS3.....will back u by 24k....if u go for GTA4 bundle...new SKU's.....and for rest.....11k.....squeeze a upgrade....or ask ur dad for 4k more....

Enuff SAID...

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
Rrod repair = free btw
core can run with a bigger mem card.
And i can't see ps3 emerging as a winner.we've been talking about this since last year here and till now all we have is just hopes that ps3 will pwn everyone.nothing else.now for that kind of future i wouldn't advice someone to get it.i made that mistake though :| so i clearly say check the games first.

following the criteria that ps3boys use,i think the only winner is a PC coz-
1.it can play games.
2.blu ray writers
3.no rrod's
4.run any os
5.do anything beyond a console.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Well the only thing I'm going to say now is that if and only if you have a HDTV then think about going the console way coz no matter which one you buy, you can't see its full potential until you hook it up with a HDTV.
If you don't have one then upgrade your PC and enjoy the ride coz you gonna get best of both worlds coz remember that most of XBOX 360 titles come as "Games For Windows" but later. I played Gears Of War on my PC using my XBOX 360 controller and since I use my HDTV as my monitor there was no difference telling whether it was a PC running or XBOX 360. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom