PS3 Hacked At last !! Hypervisor has fallen !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Hi
Its been really long i came here... nearly a month (21-12-2009 @ 4PM hi hi ..)
I saw the news and rushed to have discussion here .. but to my suprise there was no thread , no in Tech news or in Gaming section...
if there is already a thread running , merge this one to the existing one..
anyway here is it...For starters , PS3 is the most powerful and most secure gaming console of this time! GeoHot(George Hotz ) , a 17 year who was the person who was responsible for the hacking of iPhone has now once again proved that he is the Boy genius.

*i47.tinypic.com/2rclnp1.jpg

Yesterday he released to the general public the method he used to hack the PS3. This is great development , since PS3 which was not been hacked for the past 3+ years has finally fallen!
Even though some argue that the complete hack and subsequent copying of the game and playing is still not in future. Since, to make PS3 completely hacked , we need the Root Key , the holy grail for everything ! PSP even though hacked at various security levels has still not been compromised on the root key level !.

But this development will mark a new beginning . To quote from his blog
I have read/write access to the entire system memory, and HV level access to the processor. In other words, I have hacked the PS3. The rest is just software. And reversing. I have a lot of reversing ahead of me, as I now have dumps of LV0 and LV1. I've also dumped the NAND without removing it or a modchip.
3 years, 2 months, 11 days...thats a pretty secure system
Took 5 weeks, 3 in Boston, 2 here, very simple hardware cleverly applied, and some not so simple software.
There are also articles popping up from everywhere that the hack which GeoHotz has revealed is not complete and still needs loads of work like reverse engineering the whole firmware for a full pledged HomeBrew !
You can read about why this method is still in its early stage here

You can also read a in-depth analysis of the method here
This news has been all over the net and PS3 users are actually jumping in the air , whether they can have ISO loader or run Pirated games is still a big?

-Urs Siva

*urssiva.com/215

falling

Broken In
Wow, he must be a real kid protege if he's just 17.

Its pretty interesting to know that someone finally hacked the PS3, but pirates be warned : blu-ray burners and blu-ray discs are still expensive. And the average dsl owner is gonna have a real hard time trying to download a 15-50 gb game.

Its far better to support Sony and their partners by actually buying a PS3 and games.

colocated

Broken In
Wow, he must be a real kid protege if he's just 17.

Its pretty interesting to know that someone finally hacked the PS3, but pirates be warned : blu-ray burners and blu-ray discs are still expensive. And the average dsl owner is gonna have a real hard time trying to download a 15-50 gb game.

Its far better to support Sony and their partners by actually buying a PS3 and games.
Rightly said Blu-ray is still expensive and its really a headache to dowload 15-50 gb games for a average dsl so friends although PS3 is hacked but still its not a cake walk to get pirated PS3 blu-ray disks

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
^^ Lol Noob

btw i am not exited to play pirated games but for the homebrew potential this supercomputer has.

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
btw i am not exited to play pirated games but for the homebrew potential this supercomputer has.

^^ Ditto!

The Cell Broadband processor of PS3 has 8 cores out of which only one core can be used to install a third party OS (am talking about fat PS3) that too under a virtual machine. Even the developers of the gaming titles have not been able to utilize the power of all 8 cores. If the hack opens up all the cores then we are really talking something.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
the Hyperviser also blocked access to the RSX of the PS3 to third party OS , but maybe after hack we could use that too and i think some bluetooth / Wi-Fi Modules too could make PS3 a Nice Gaming / Media Center / All Purpose Desktop (lol its already that :p )

and my god 1.8 TFLOPS floating point performance (and a free BD Reader Drive :p BD-ROM, BD-R, BD-RE )

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
sony already did -

Sony's not taking the GeoHotz PS3 exploit sitting down. A new patent has been filed by Sony, and it looks like it's their response to the exploit. Hold on tight, this is gonna be quite a ride.

“A method, system, and computer-usable medium are disclosed for controlling unauthorized access to encrypted application program code. Predetermined program code is encrypted with a first key. The hash value of an application verification certificate associated with a second key is calculated by performing a one-way hash function. Binding operations are then performed with the first key and the calculated hash value to generate a third key, which is a binding key.

The binding key is encrypted with a fourth key to generate an encrypted binding key, which is then embedded in the application. The application is digitally signed with a fifth key to generate an encrypted and signed program code image. To decrypt the encrypted program code, the application verification key certificate is verified and in turn is used to verify the authenticity of the encrypted and signed program code image. The encrypted binding key is then decrypted with a sixth key to extract the binding key.

The hash value of the application verification certificate associated with the second key is then calculated and used with the extracted binding key to extract the first key. The extracted first key is then used to decrypt the encrypted application code."

:|

dont update to future firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom