Private Chat Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
One of my friend has about 70 members in his organization and many are not in the office network.They They are currently using their personal Yahoo messenger/Gtalk/MSN accounts for official chat. He wants a unified chat service so that only the officials employees are there in the chat.
In one of my company where I used to work, we used to chat via MSN messenger which worked only on the VPN and we could login using our official email ID's. I cannot remember how exactly this was achived, may be our office used a MSN chat server :p ,

But this is a different case. there is no VPN.

Can you guys please suggest any solution for this Free or Paid?
PS: He works in a NGO but can invest even if the software is paid and does the job.

@Charan
Even I'm looking around for something like that.
@Comp@ddict
he means that the company shares information thru Yahoo, Gtalk or MSN messengers (which might be a security risk as they could be sharing confidential data)
He wants a chat soft similar to those mentioned above so that all employees can share data without the need for those messengers (not like Pidgin, but a soft meant only for chatting between other employees, like VPN [if I've not mistaken])
But, it should not be VPN.
Any ideas?

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Whats the diff between basic and premium?
Commercial vs. Non-Commercial

LogMeIn Hamachi licensing is based on your status as a commercial or a non-commercial user. Prior to subscribing to Hamachi, you will be asked to verify whether you are using it for commercial or non-commercial purposes.*

If you are using Hamachi for your own, non-commercial use, it's 100% free.

What is Non-Commercial Use?

Non-commercial users are defined as individuals using the product for personal use, such as a gaming or family network, and non-profit institutions (as defined by the IRS as a 501c corporation or similarly situated international non-profits).

Non-commercial users may use Hamachi free of charge and without the need to pay any subscription fee.
*secure.logmein.com/products/hamachi/licensing.asp

LogMeIn Hamachi Features (link)

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Err, SKYPE?
Well, u mean all the employees in the chat at the same tyme?
I forgot to add skype in the list :p , Its like the chat has different users/friends just like a normal chat application but the users are only official and also they will not be able to add any new contacts outside their domain.

@Charan
he means that the company shares information thru Yahoo, Gtalk or MSN messengers (which might be a security risk as they could be sharing confidential data)
He wants a chat soft similar to those mentioned above so that all employees can share data without the need for those messengers (not like Pidgin, but a soft meant only for chatting between other employees, like VPN [if I've not mistaken])
But, it should not be VPN.
Exactly my requirement
Thanks .. my next suppose to be thread was related VPN , but I dont think I need to create it ;)

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Jabber Looks perfect. :)
Now the hosting queries. His organization's web site is hosted in a Windows Server. Can Jabber server be installed on that? or does it require a Linux hosting?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
OpenFire plus Spark Will suit best for corporate needs and it uses Jabber protocol.There also a nice Web-based client available. Its Cross platform too;)

Even Big Political parties like BJP uses it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom