[Preview + Feedback] Nov 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitinm

Broken In
:-( Not a single software on developer section... ????? But thanks for Norton Internet security...... Not a good idea on Fast track to gaming consoles......

rajivnedungadi

In the zone
They say that "Bolidesoft All My Movies" is a licensed software worth Rs.2000/- but the one on the disc is a 90 day trial. How does that become licensed?

Devrath_ND

Obsessed with Technology
Wow, the design related articles was what i was desperately waiting for as i am interested in pursuing a career in design. BTW sad at seeing the Maxim ads discontinued. Its the only ad i liked in your mag. :)

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
@Anorion

#1. After almost 6 months or so am I actually very happy after reading the magazine. This time the articles are "really" informative as to the new things happening and they are tech oriented as it was with Digit in the early years.

#2.Sadly, Digit is shifting from being a Technology Magazine to a Consumer products magazine. There are lots of Hardware Tests and NEWS of new products being launched. If I can recall, Digit used to give detailed articles explaining different hardware concepts, technologies and not doing tests of the said products.

#3.Example : People do not go out to buy Graphic Cards/ Digital Cameras every 6 months

#4. The DVD contents focus too much on "Audio/Video", "Gaming" genre. To elaborate, most categories the the 2 Dual Layer DVDs are Games, Videos, Trailers, Music, TED, Multimedia (Software) etc

#5.Developer community, Student Community, Programmers, Linux users, Mac users all are being neglected

#6.Linux OSs are provided frequently but there software are clubbed in annual 300+ / 1000+ free software CDs. What about Documentation?

#7.The Digit Archive I made, I believe has been discontinued because many people found it to be "Novice effort" as evident from last month's issue, rather, it would have been fruitful if Digit could have come up with suggestions on how to improvise it rather than discontinuing it till the time YOUR own version is released.

Sorry for the long post but I think my old Digit is slowly fading away into oblivion. I wish it becomes a TECH mag again and not a mag to search for which-mobile-is-currently-best-in-market

Thanks Anorion for the patient read (I hope)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Thanks for the quick review......

BTW, have you stopped the development of that archive app. I need it and I like it a lot. You can continue to develop the app and post the updates in the forum and I'm sure you will get a lot of feedbacks and suggestion to make the app even more better :p

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@rajivnedungadi: ParamisPDF is free software worth Rs. 2000, All My Movies is an extended trial with 50% discount worth Rs. 1500 for Digit readers if and when readers choose to buy the full version.

@vaibhav.Kanwal: Thank you for the detailed feedback, that is exactly what we need. But it was still not detailed enough. For example, can you tell us how we can improve the DVD content? What else should we include and/or focus on? The Digit Archive was not discontinued because it was a "novice effort" - far from that in fact, we just wanted to put in our own archive, and we are working on it.

why didn't the editors see the mistake on the cover of fast track.xbox,ps3 and wii are handheld and psp and dsi are video gaming consoles.

PS:why am i not allowed to start a thread?

vaibhav.Kanwal

Self Confessed Geek
As mentioned in the below mentioned points :
@Anorion
#4. The DVD contents focus too much on "Audio/Video", "Gaming" genre. To elaborate, most categories the the 2 Dual Layer DVDs are Games, Videos, Trailers, Music, TED, Multimedia (Software) etc

#5.Developer community, Student Community, Programmers, Linux users, Mac users all are being neglected

I'd request Digit to include more utility applications, software like HijackThis.
Webcasts / Tutorials / Guides on newer development technologies like Flex, Adobe Air, API based tutorials like that of Twitter, Facebook etc, How to make an unattended Win install?

Fast Tracks on XML, jQuery are beneficial for giving intros but one cannot expect to learn from fast track itself. Those are specialized topics with ample amount of log wood wasted on them already.

I'd say something like Future of OOPS. Why smalltalk failed? Java Vs C#, File Handling Vs DBMS

Something which compels the readers to read and not something which falls into the NEWS section. Many who use Twitter found What, How, Where on their own. Devoting 4 pages on twitter services will not help those who despise the idea of social networking if not micro-blogging.

Why Open Source prefers LAMP? Something of such sorts. If such stuff looks "programmer centric" then let me remind you : In our country we do not have a good developer oriented magazine.

If SCOAR can be for gamming why cant 9DotNine start something for the techies? Please look into my suggestions.

After all talk of gadgets, Windows XP Vs Win7, 3D Nvidia Glasses one DOES get inclined towards programming to make such passions come to life. Please provide the fuel to those desires. <That does not mean starting with if-else, C, C++ constructs though>

That said the articles in this month's mag are just the right mix of novelty and information. Specially, the UI article on Dock, Taskbar. Thats something one wont get on the net, has a personal opinion and very sensible.

gramesh

Journeyman
please tell me why the DVD2 was not made bootable for Sabayon 5.0 as was done earlier? As a result readers has to burn the ISO on a seperate DVD.

NVIDIAGeek

Long Live Gojira!
Got the issue yesterday & it was good. Nothin' beats CHIP's quality. The only DIGIT issue that pleased me was Dec. 2008 & Oct. 2008. No issue in this year seems to please me. For sure DIGIT ain't the No. 1 Tech Mag. this year.

ash

Reborn ... four times
As mentioned in the below mentioned points :

Why Open Source prefers LAMP? Something of such sorts. If such stuff looks "programmer centric" then let me remind you : In our country we do not have a good developer oriented magazine.

If SCOAR can be for gamming why cant 9DotNine start something for the techies? Please look into my suggestions.

Digit has started the Developer newsletter - that should help.
Have you subscribed?

toofan

Technomancer
Raboo There is no section to comment on the Editorial and DVD contents. So here is my first review.

Editorial:
Excellent as always. You actually copied my thinking about the graphic quality war. And the little details and point you raise in such a simple language that it appeals me the most.
Thanks for discontinuing Editorial by Henning. His thought never attracted me. He always seems complain about the tech condition of our country. His editorial doesn't match our Indian conditions.

Digit TV:
Very very good attempt. Your digit TV rocked. Its so informative. And the funny aspect you all added is very good thing to see. Hope you will continue with various topics in comming months.
The first model/presenter ( fat one) who give a review of 3D goggles was very funny/confident with his expressions and work. Good work mate.
Now some suggestions about digit TV.

1. Your camera man is going much closer to the face. It may be looking good at the camera display but in bigger displays we had to move a bit back to view the screen.
So try to capture the Video from a distance.
2. The text is not properly seen in the video. When ever the text from screen is shown its hard to read. So why not to use the screen recoding software for capturing the screen rather then the camera itself.

And one more thing Why everyman on the Video has beard of some short or other.:p

I know your Digit TV will become rock solid in presentation in coming months as the models cum team mates will gain some experience.

(My English is not good but hope you under stood the points.)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Digit TV:
Very very good attempt. Your digit TV rocked. Its so informative. And the funny aspect you all added is very good thing to see. Hope you will continue with various topics in comming months.
I know your Digit TV will become rock solid in presentation in coming months as the models cum team mates will gain some experience.

Without viewing the DVDs I can assure that DigitTV is going to be next "First From Digit" and Rock everyone.
I can say it because as I just loved last month's DigitTV.

Requests related to DigitTV:-
1>NAMES: Please, can we have names of the presenters? Please? They are doing very good. So give us a chance to appreciate/thank them too.

2>Camera angle, light: Handle these properly. Sometimes things are too shiny to actually watch/observe something. Sometimes they are dark. Do you capture the session in one go? Don't do it. Capture and edit, long process but, it would make it more error free and attractive.

3>Please let the presenters breath/have some water.

(And, I've got the mail but not the copy yet :-| )

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
@toofan and @rhitwick, very valid points, thank you for the feedback, this really helps!

Krow

Crowman
I don't remember which DVD, but it may have been in last months issue... The foobar tutorial video, nothing was understandable, it was that heavily pixelated. Please look into that.

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^yes, from now on when we use screencapture, we will capture a region around the cursor instead of the entire screen. Sounds better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom