[Preview + Feedback] June 2006 Anniversary Special

Status
Not open for further replies.
cover page appealing and articles good. Yet could have been better.Be selective in the softwares and do not cram just for the sake of giving. Hope for the best in future from you guys.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
BLUNDERS in the mobiles shoot-out (SE W550i)

DIGIT is not very good when it comes to mobiles, I suppose. Whenever you have reviewed mobiles, they have been short and not too informative. In the extensive shoot-out this month, you made many mistakes. The most noticeable sufferer of your follies was SE W550i. Phones that have undeservedly been awarded more points than W550i:
Nokia 7360 - Hello!? The phone has just FOUR MB of internal memory and does not support external memory. The display's resolution is 128 x 160 and supports 64 K colours. Need I say more!
Nokia 6670 - A very SLOW jack of few trades! I really couldn't find anything in this phone's specs that could justify it being ranked above W550i and it looks like some sort of a mini brick.
Nokia 3230 - In cons, you have written, 'Bulky, slow'. Just saying that it is slow is an understatement. If it had been any slower, it would have been going backwards!
Siemens SL75 - If I was shocked by Nokia 7360's points, I have been floored by this one's! This phone did not even deserve to be classified as a 'Feature Rich Phone'.

And here I am pointing out the mistakes you made in W550i's specs:

BRAND - Sony Ericsson
MODEL - W550i
Features
Design and Ergonomics
Form Factor (Candybar, Clamshell, etc.) - Swivel
Support for Network Bands - Tri-band
Dimensions (mm) L x W x D - 102 x 46 x 14 (actual dimensions are 93 x 46.5 x 22.5)
Weight (gms) - 80 (the weight is 120 gms)
Build Quality / Fit and Finish - 3.5
User Interface - 3 (K750i has been awarded 3.5 for the same interface)
Navigation - 2.5 (Deserved 5; the ease of navigation due to the brilliant navigation pad had been approved by critics all over the world and you suddenly rate it the worst among ALL the phones you have tested!)
Keypad Layout - 3.25
Keypad Comfort - 3.25
Keypad Backlight - 3.5
Basic Phone features
Display Resolution (pixels) - 176 x 220
Display colours (K) - 262
Address Book Capacity - 510 (it is actually 1000, in case you didn't know)
No. of Lines Displayed in Message - 6
Number of Profiles - 4 (there are 7 in total)
Themes - Yes
Support for Installing New Applications / Games - Yes
Memory
Phone Memory (MB) - 256
External Memory Slot / Type - No
Memory Card Provided (MB) - No
Hot-Swappable - No
Internet: GPRS/HSCSD/EDGE - GPRS
Connectivity: IR/Bluetooth/USB/Wi-Fi - IR, USB (Need I point out the all too obvious mistake here!)
Camera
Image Resolution - 1280 x 960
Video Capture / Resolution - Yes/176 x 144
Lens Protection / Mirror for Self Portrait - Yes/Yes (There is no lens protection and the self portrait mirror should not have been a criterion for judgement. It is pretty useless on the phones that are equipped with it anyway.)
Extra and Miscellaneous Features
Ability to Adjust Brightness/Contrast - Yes
MP3 Capability - Yes
FM Radio - Yes
Voice Recorder / Voice Dialling / Handsfree Speaker - Yes/Yes/No (it's there, handsfree speaker is obviously present)
Talk Time / Standby Time - 7 / 300 (it should be 8 / 375)
Performance
Signal Reception - 3.25
Voice Clarity - 3.25 (Oh, c'mon! You awarded 3.5 to Nokia 7360 and N70, Sony Ericsson K750i and Samsung D600 and a measly 3.25 to W550i? It should have got atleast 4.)
Processing Speed - 3.5
Quality of Captured Image - 2.25
Quality of Captured Video - 2.25

Why wasn't there any marking for MP3 quality when you had five individual ratings relating to the camera? Isn't audio capability an important part of a multimedia phone? A rating for looks is also absent. And there should have been a column for the miscellaneous individual features that some phones have on offer. For example: the startup menu of the WALKMAN PHONES (i.e. the ability to play music even with the phone switched off), the 3D landscape gaming in W550i, etc. And you missed out Nokia 3250. It should have been a part of the shoot-out. W800i has already been stopped and W700i and W300i are already retailing in India.

Overall, the magazine is very satisfactory this time and deserved applause but this mobile phones shoot-out leaves a LOT to be desired. The witty style of writing in all the articles is very pleasing though and should be continued in future issues. Hope someone lends an ear (or both) to this huge essay! :)

Mangal Pandey

Journeyman
Man this really sucks.
I think I'm the last person on the subscriber list to get the magazine.7th of the month has been passed & just confirmed with the Blue Dart Courier that todays load has arrived & nothing for me in it.
The logistics at digit are the laziest people I ve ever seen. (or i should say never seen) coz they should know that newspapers & magazines are useless after a particular time.

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Well, that's a disgrace but I subscribe for one magazine that actually delivered the magazine on 29th of the last month. It is the May edition I am talking about. Compared to them, DIGIT is very fast, isn't it? :D
But, of course, we shouldn't use losers as benchmarks.

aryayush said:
Hope someone lends an ear (or both) to this huge essay! :)
^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^

hbk549

Broken In
Sucks thats all who the hell wants the old movies we are Next generations Teens we dont want Mahahtma Gandhiji times movies anyone

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
wizrulz said:
No news of change in patron gifts...or are there any???? :(

Was it promised ?

hbk549 said:
Sucks thats all who the hell wants the old movies we are Next generations Teens we dont want Mahahtma Gandhiji times movies anyone

Tell me you are wrong, you never know the charm of old movies do you? Ever seen Laurel and Hardie's or Good Bad and Ugly? I think not, and what on earth does next generation teens mean here? And yeah, FYI am a teen too... You dont know what you have missed pal...

Techie_Geek

Journeyman
The Monster Truck Madness CD was the one i received with my 2 year subscription gifts, much older, and the business cd is of no use as well

U ppl could have given an animation CD like Ice Age 2 or Polar Express

The humongous DVD contents sound a mouthful , though it is not that much of any use

The Only great and promising thing seems to be the Magazine Content, and the fast Track on Digital Audio

Digit should come up with special contents and more hardware offers like the one with the DVD Rom Scenario, these would be really useful

//siddhartha//

Stabbing my shoe
Well, just a question before I buy it:
Is there SuSE 10.1 inside or NO LINUX??
But definitely tempting coz of the classics of Chaplin, Holmes and Superman..
You could hae given a more recent game than Mosnter Truck 2 or rather a good movie DVD... Anyways, 90 per cent chance I will buy it.. But guys, plz answer..::: Is there SUSE 10.1 or NOT???

king53

Right off the assembly line
Today is 9th June and still not in sight of the magazine,, I also heard that subscribers do not get dvd and cd original covers to save on courier charges.

The price to pay in advance is to get this..

the delay and the second rate treatment given to subscribers is not in par with the magazine reputation.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
^^
Even I m thinking of not subscribing and buying frm newstand. Coz Newstand plp get cd+dvd case.

ranju_neel

Broken In
When the mag came in by the courier and i opened it, the first thing that came out of my mouth is wowwww.......the mag really looks and so does the the cd and dvd contents, i will enjoy this, thanks

manas

Wandering in the zone ...
Got my copy at last.
The magazine looks good,the paper quality is good.The CD/DVD contents are also good.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
6681 has a slow processor ??? thats the last thing on earth i thought i'd hear ... 220 MHz on a phone (same as the 6630) is slow ?????? even with rich themes ... the phone barely is slow ...

elumalai

Broken In
just bought the book. nice contents. I didn't buy the last two issues.

But after reading the preview, I was very eager to buy it.

congrats. a nice collection of vdos, pics, audio. games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom