Power Consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
Hi! My pc was running fine, but very recently i added a cooling fan to the cabinet. and then all the problem started, hdd errors, dvd-rw errors etc.

now that i have isolated the problem to the newly added fan, my question is,
do i realy need a higher power SMPS??

EDIT: SMPS WATTAGE 220WATTS
My Specs..(dxdiag attached)
  1. intel915gav,
  2. p4-2.66ghz,
  3. 512+512 kingston 400mhz ddr
  4. Samsung PATA 40gb
  5. Samsung SATA 40gb
  6. Seagate SATA 80gb
  7. Sony DVD-rw
  8. Sony DVD, cd-rw combo
  9. i have a scanner and a printer attached thru USB,
  10. onboard audio, graphics, normal keyboard and optical mouse
  11. Active Ethernet card(for broadband) internal telephone modem
  12. Airtel Broadband aDSL Modem
  13. total of 5 fans including 1 processor fan, 1 smps fan, 1 air inlet for processor, 1 air inlet for orhers, 1 5-inch air outlet fan.
i realy have a feeling that during peak running times my power consumption reaches a potential overload situation. is that so? please suggest.

Last edited:

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
If adding new fan..is giving problem..than it looks like SMPS problem. Wht is current wattage of ur SMPS.

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
thanks for the quick replies.
damn! looks like i got cheated! the model num says PX-350 but the sticker inside says 220Watts MAX! i think the problem is clear.. it should be atleast 400w.
it's a .. matrix.. smps. well, i better get an i-ball 400w. should i?

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
club_pranay said:
thanks for the quick replies.
damn! looks like i got cheated! the model num says PX-350 but the sticker inside says 220Watts MAX! i think the problem is clear.. it should be atleast 400w.
it's a .. matrix.. smps. well, i better get an i-ball 400w. should i?

yes..go for higher wattage SMPS.
Even local cabinet SMPS are of 450 watt.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
You can buy a smps 400W of techcom or frontech(the cheapest one, also considerably good). Here in Tinsukia it is cost 450/-

OP
club_pranay

club_pranay

Nokia 7110 to iPhone 5
i got one from navtech with 2 years warranty. 500W MAX, Rs 600.

believe or not.. the system is stable now! i never knew that "power shortage" can cause system crash, hdd failure! wowh!

and thank you all for your prompt help! that's why i love this place soo much...

Last edited:

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
club_pranay said:
i got one from navtech with 2 years warranty. 500W MAX, Rs 600.

believe or not.. the system is stable now! i never knew that "porwe shortage" can cause system crash, hdd failure! wowh!

and thank you all for your prompt help! that's why i love this place soo much...

lol you have expressed my internal feeling regarding this forum, which I cant expressed till now. Really this thinkdigit forum is very helpfull than other forum. Here some active member are there really they are very good guys. a few of them I specially mention .
1. Choto Cheeta
2. Vishal Gupta
3. Slugger,
4 praka123
5. Cyberboy kerela
6 vish 786
7 vish ......
8 infra red dude
9 Swasant panth

utsav

damn busy...
^^u forgot Pathiks the penguin

i want a psu which should deliver atleast 400watts.which 1 to buy.Zebronics or any other. can spend 600 Rs max but i want quality.

skghosh44

dig_boy_dig,dig !
utsav said:
^^u forgot Pathiks the penguin

i want a psu which should deliver atleast 400watts.which 1 to buy.Zebronics or any other. can spend 600 Rs max but i want quality.
Extremly sorry to enter his name the highest post(6346) maker in this forum.
By the way I have no idea about Zebronics SMPS. I have only idea about Frontech and techcom. Here both are cost about 450/- for 400 watts. More or less quality is good.

utsav

damn busy...
P4 HT 3.06GHz OCd to 3.65GHz
Biostar mobo with Via chipset with onboard GFX ,sound and lan
2*256MB DDR 400 running at 450MHz
80GB seagate pata
1 DVD writer
1 CD ROM
2 Case cooling fans
FDD
and i am planning to add a 6600gt or 6800 GT AGP card card soon so i think i should upgrade my PSU for more stability.
I calculated my power consumption at *www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp and found it around 290 watts. i also want to leave some headroom for future upgrades so i think a pure 400watt delivering PSU will suffice.

any suggestions aravind

Last edited:

assasin

Banned
^^^ Zebronics 400W psu (20 + 4 pin) with 20A on the 12v rail is a very good psu.i've used it with my C2D rig with a oc'd 8600GT,3 hdds,2odds and didnt face any probs.it'll easily handle ur rig.buy it.u wont regret it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom