Post processing images - The final step to getting that awesome click

sujoyp

Grand Master
this time I am going to upload a real RAW file...of smoke ...now you have to do some editing and produce something beautiful :D
let me select a nice one for you ...wait

*copy.com/CIOiMo2qX7Lp

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my PP of thar RAW image...I have lots of smoke patterns ...difficult to select

*farm3.staticflickr.com/2906/14095660603_99f25c7d18_z.jpgDSC_4037 by sujoyp, on Flickr

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
That's a nice editing Sujoy. :thumbs:

Comparing it with the original you have done a great job. As soon as I saw the photography, I thought I have seen this one before with D3100. So guessed you're posting that one, but learned that this is a new one with D7000.

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I really need to learn how to edit out these types of files. Sujoy, please give an overview of the editing you did

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] I have done this before and result were satisfactory...just for you guys...try to edit these new ones :D

@amlan ...its simple
1. Increase the contrast soo much that all faint smoke mark disapperes ...
2. open it in photoshop
3. create a new duplicate layer
4. add a gradient layer on the background layer from layer menu
5. select the background layer and just beside that these you will find a list with normal selected...select color
6. paint other parts black :D

Last edited:

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Amlan, He said and made it sound so simple. But it took me more than half an hour.

All the tutorials are pretty much the same. Didn't seem like I can pull something too different from what Sujoy have already done.

Here are the two versions I tried.

*i102.photobucket.com/albums/m108/tkphotos1/Image00001_zps34bfb8c7.jpg

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
most of this sounds doable, am just worried about the "paint everything black". Any use of the brush tool usually ruins the image

sujoyp

Grand Master
[MENTION=125321]nac[/MENTION] white one is not useful nac...I think it need darker smoke ...colored version is good

@amlan...you have to paint it black or else see what I posted...it may look good in some cases and not in some others

nac

Aspiring Novelist
This one is a landscape, shot last week. It's shot exclusively for PP thread.

I was hoping I would reach the spot before sun disappears, but :( my bad I went there little late.

The reason for underexposing the image,
1. I didn't want trails of the vehicles passing by, and
2. Expecting under exposing would make the sky colour pop out a little.

May be I have gone little over board, but hoped I could get the details in PP. May be I was wrong, may be not. But for now, this is what I am end up with. If you think you guys have spare time, and the picture is worth spending them on, I will be happy to see your PP work.

And one more request, Amlan asked to share how/what people do in PP at the start of this thread. When posting your PP work, write briefly how/what you did in PP. Just we can learn/correct our workflow.

*www.4shared.com/file/P3tmSyHdce/CRW_3919.html

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
1. Imported photo in LR
2. photo was underexposed so I tried increasing exposure. But that turned the sky white. So I increased exposure very little and only exposed the shadows (greenery etc) without changing highlights (sky) much
3. Added +30 clarity for more crisp look
4. Exported image to topaz denoise and removed grain
5. Back to LR, removed some chromatic noise
6. Added purplish tone to highlights
7. Corrected vignetting. (Forgot to crop the lower portion :( )
Used selective color tone in LR to change the green color tone from warm (yellowish green) to present cool green
8. Exported image to PS and downsampled image to 2000 by 1500 to further kill noise
9. Posted to TDF
10. Waiting for comments

nac

Aspiring Novelist
^ 9 and 10 :lol:

Wow!!! :wow: That's an excellent work :thumbs: You would have made it even better if the image was properly exposed :)

Is there any preset option in LR to choose cool green/warm green or any other color from/to cool/warm? or we have move the slider and identify the cooler/warmer tone?

sujoyp

Grand Master
wow prashant thats awesome PP ...great work

I too tried but it just looks as under exposed as original one so not sharing

marvelousprashant

Cyborg Agent
^ 9 and 10 :lol:

Wow!!! :wow: That's an excellent work :thumbs: You would have made it even better if the image was properly exposed :)

Is there any preset option in LR to choose cool green/warm green or any other color from/to cool/warm? or we have move the slider and identify the cooler/warmer tone?

No preset. Just sliders. For all colours

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
[MENTION=117627]marvelousprashant[/MENTION] - You are the pro of landscape photos. I saw the pic and I could guess you edited it just by looking at that purple sky.

Not sure what I wanted to achieve with this, but here is my try.

*i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t627/GenLibeb/nac1_zps85574cc9.jpg

OP
izzikio_rage

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Thats an awesome edit prashant. Will need to learn this highlight tone and selective color thing.

@gen good edit, reminds me of a tarantino movie

Top Bottom