Post graduation queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
Hello,
I have done Electronics engg in 2007. Later did some Embedded Sys certificate course. Then looked out for jobs in that domain but didn't make it. Later due to some home events/problems, I didn't lookout for jobs and was at home for few months. Now I am looking again for jobs but the condition is tight now.
So after all this I am thinking of going PG. I have queries related to that.
There are 3 options for me: either MTech or MBA or MS from abroad.

MTech(specialization in Embedded Sys or related)- I have to give GATE xam for this. What I heard is MTech other than from IITs/IISc/NITs is of no value. We end up doing teaching in some institutes. Also there are not enough jobs listed in job sites/employment newspapers. So I am worried about the job prospectus after MTech. I can get a reasonably good score in GATE but not enough for the above premier institutions.

MBA- I haven't thought much about this after doing my BE..and was not at all keen on doing it but looking at ongoing conditions, I have to think about this now. There are lot of opportunities after doing this i..but does this hold true for institutions of less value and that too without having any work experience. coz most companies while recruiting MBA's look for their experience. Also if I do, I want to specialize MBA in IT or Telecomm or any tech domain.. Salary was not first priority in selecting this just it has much wider aspect. 'It is not by choice but by need'

MS- Does MS from Germany hold good value as MS in US? I need more info about this. I learned there are much restrictions in jobs for international students in Germany than in US. Please. But considering the job crunch that US economy is facing now, the same can be said for US..

I am just tired of applying to companies and no replies(even if I qualify for their job requirement). But not tired enough to stop trying...

Your honest views, comments,criticism,suggestions are welcome.

red_devil

Back!
MTech : done from all those top institutes you have listed is the way to go 'cos AFAIK, MTech's from other institutes dont command much value in the job market... so if you want to go the MTech path, I suggest you take up the GATE exam and get a good enough score to get into one of those..

{ btw, have you applied for GATE 2009 ?? 'cos the last date to submit the applications was sometime in october.. }

same is the case with MBA {CAT 08}...

and about MS in Germany, I dont have much of an idea...

@ T, what are you doing now ?? <are you working anywhere ?>

Last edited:

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
i'm also wrting gate09-presently third year-eee

no use for me as one year only validity--jus writin for practice

the paper pattern has changed-jus look at the site of iitr once--gonna be tough -3hrs 60qs

thers a coaching centre in hyd for gate---ace academy---u can see their website-the coahing cost is arounf 10k---crash course winter batch start around end of november---if u wanna go -u need to come hyd n stay in room n go for coaching(in case out of hyd)---around 45days coaching.

gate exam 09 last application submition date is over on 29th oct..........if u r writinggate(aplied)-all the best

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
GATE is just kind of useless,its very hard to score good enough scores for IISc\IITs,and I mean really very fuking hard.

CAT is a better option,not only your job profile is better but also its far easier,even if you don't make it to IIMs and other good institutes,you are nearly sure to get into 'something' which is not as bad as it sounds.

MS is like loads of cash..........

OP
blueshift

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
^ No I haven't applied for CAT.

Guys, please tell if doing MTech has any value from job point of view. Has any of your friends done MTech and got a good job?

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
see its simple.....

there are 2 things-u do mtech for job or go by ur interest

if u have interest in ur subject n strong practical skills of it-then u should have got a job by now in ur interested field(after grad)........unfortunately this state can be attained by many ppl

if u wanna get a job in core field(companies like intel,amd).........then only mtech in iisc,iit and some nit(trichy,warangal) are worth doing..........a rank of below 200 in gate (all india) will make sure for getting in atleast one iit........

i have seen ppl doing mtech in core subject from normal coll till going in software jobs or teaching profession...

as said gate xam this time is hard.........but if u are strong in ur concepts n practical knowledge,problem solving skills.........gate is matter of game play

so it all depends on ur choice

OP
blueshift

blueshift

Wise Old Crow
^ Thanks.

I don't no what to do. There isn't any job opening these days. Is doing Java language core course useful? There is fast track course available here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom