** Post all your BSNL Broadband Related Queries Here **

executioner

Journeyman
Re: **Post all your BSNL Dataone Related Queries Here**

Please tell all the info about bsnl plan 900
will i be able to convert from my current plan 250 to it?

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United

executioner said:
Please tell all the info about bsnl plan 900
will i be able to convert from my current plan 250 to it?

Just give an application to the AOTR of your area alongwith a last telephone bill. But do not start using it as unlimited unless you see the plan change in any of the portals for checking usage records. Please do not be impatient or be ready to see a huge bill.

BSNL is a bunch of jokers.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent

My internet is not working now.:( Donno whats the prob. My pc was in standby mode and internet was on. When I came back no site was opening. Net connects but no site opens except that router configuration site. Any idea what could be the prob?

imperialguy

Right off the assembly line

i applied for UL900 plan 2 days back. i bought the modem myself. i heard that UL900 doesn't need any username/password. i don't know what BSNL guys do during installation. but, i sure know how to install an ADSL Router.

All i need to know is whether i've to wait for those guys to come and install (in case username/password is necessary) or can i proceed with installation without any username/password ??

my modem is D-Link DSL-502T.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent

My net working fine again.:))

^^
Yup u need a username and pass. I got same plan and same modem. During installation of modem u need to enter username and pass. U don't have to wait for them to come. They will phone u and tell u username and pass and u can install ur modem and access net.

imperialguy

thx chirag. i do know how to install ADSL Router normally by running starup wizard. But, with username and password, I sure have a few doubts.

So, even if BSNL people ring me up and tell me the username/password, I may not be able toconfigure it properly. So, can you pls help me out by explaining the exact configuration procedure by using username/pass

Chirag

Cyborg Agent

I m telling u how that guy who sold me modem did the installation.(Free of Charge :)))

Look connect ur modem then in ur browser go to *192.168.1.1 then run setup wizard. Then when it finishs click on Wan tab and select Pvc0 and then select Wan Type as Bridge connection. Click on apply.

Do same with Pvc1 and Pvc2.

Now in Pvc 3 select PPoopE(or something like that) and enter ur id and pass and click on apply. Now go to tools then select system tab and then click on
save and reboot. It shld work.

tinku dhar

In the zone

Chirag said:
My net working fine again.:))

^^
Yup u need a username and pass. I got same plan and same modem. During installation of modem u need to enter username and pass. U don't have to wait for them to come. They will phone u and tell u username and pass and u can install ur modem and access net.

well well ... ,

man im really confused ... i had 250 plan and i changed it to 900 plan ok ... than im USIN the SAME username and password tht i used to in 250 plan .... also i have not got any KINDA other MODEMs etc etc ... so HELP me out in this quiery :)

imperialguy

Chirag said:
I m telling u how.......(Free of Charge :)))

Thats truly appreciable.

Chirag said:
Now in Pvc 3 select PPoopE(or something like that) and enter ur id and pass and click on apply. Now go to tools then select system tab and then click on save and reboot. It shld work.

Now, are u sure it is in PVC3 where we've to enter our usrid pass, and not in PVC0 ??
I'm not sure because, what I've learnt is:

1.) usrid pass should be entered in PVC0,
2.) And PVC0, PVC1 & PVC3 should be changed to Bridge Connection (So, PVC2 is not touched).

I learnt this from the following website (a segment of BSNL dataone official website for goa):

*goa.bsnl.co.in/broadband-conf/dlink.htm

Please do visit this site, and clear my doubts.

The reason why I thought that the UL900 plan doesn't require any usrid pass is because of the following post:

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=258270&postcount=971

Check that post too.

Last edited:

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ

hey guys clarify my doubt, i'm on Home Plan 250 now (in b'lore), & i was goin to change the PLAN to UL 900 but i got stuck in Chennai.
Now if i apply for the PLAN Change this week, will BSNL change my 250 plan to 900 in this (current)month itself or will the change take EFFECT only the 1st of NEXT MONTH.

tinku dhar

In the zone

s18000rpm said:
hey guys clarify my doubt, i'm on Home Plan 250 now (in b'lore), & i was goin to change the PLAN to UL 900 but i got stuck in Chennai.
Now if i apply for the PLAN Change this week, will BSNL change my 250 plan to 900 in this (current)month itself or will the change take EFFECT only the 1st of NEXT MONTH.

mayn............. it suld be KNOWN to BSNL OFFICER soooo y not goin there and ASKIN ur QUESTION :)

it gonna help u more :)

Chirag

Cyborg Agent

@ tinkudhar - I don't think u need other modem or username/password to use new plan. I got a new one. As u had home plan 250 and changed it to 900 it shld work with old user id and pass na. Only plan is changed.

@ imperialguy - Pata nahi yaar. I told u as that guy did. Anyways try ur method first and if it works then fine but if it doesn't then try the way I told.

imperialguy

k, then. waiting for a call from BSNL Exchange. as soon as i get my usrid and password, i'll try both the methods.

anirudhasarawgi

Journeyman

Chirag said:
I m telling u how that guy who sold me modem did the installation.(Free of Charge :)))

Look connect ur modem then in ur browser go to *192.168.1.1 then run setup wizard. Then when it finishs click on Wan tab and select Pvc0 and then select Wan Type as Bridge connection. Click on apply.

Do same with Pvc1 and Pvc2.

Now in Pvc 3 select PPoopE(or something like that) and enter ur id and pass and click on apply. Now go to tools then select system tab and then click on
save and reboot. It shld work.

I did nothing like that and used the windows connection wizard and got connected...I used the modem BSNL provided..

temp

praful_m_n said:
thanks prakash...
it was useful but it would have been better if i had got any soft which tells me size limit excluding night unlimited time....
but i liked the software since something is better than nothing...
thanks again

Go on *www.shaplus.com/dataone/

This will help you.
see also "Dataone Usage Finder v1.4 Beta"

tinku dhar

In the zone

Chirag said:
@ tinkudhar - I don't think u need other modem or username/password to use new plan. I got a new one. As u had home plan 250 and changed it to 900 it shld work with old user id and pass na. Only plan is changed.

@ imperialguy - Pata nahi yaar. I told u as that guy did. Anyways try ur method first and if it works then fine but if it doesn't then try the way I told.

gr8 thnx for the REPLY mayn i thought new ADSL is needed :)

imperialguy

Now, what I'm going ask will seem very weird and practically impossible to many of u. But, since I couldn't resolve the issue by myself, I decided to pose my queries.

Until a month back, I used the internet connection provided by a private ISP called as "V-Online". Currently, I'm using the "BSNL Dataone 256kbps UL900".
Now, I'm going to divide my post into two parts:
PAST(while using V-Online) and
PRESENT(using BSNL), to explain the situation, and then the queries follow.

Request: Please be patient and read the whole post.

PAST(when I used V-Online):

My package was 128Kbps UL, and the connection was ADSL-based. So, I got an ADSL Router and a copper wire line from the ISP. Now, with an ADSL Router and a 128Kbps connection, the expected max. download speeds should be 128/8=16KB/s. Isn't it ?
But, do you know how much speed I used to get. I used to get the following speeds for the corresponding types of downloads:

For Direct HTTP downloads: 50-100KB/s i.e., 400Kbps-800Kbps
For FTP downloads: 30-50KB/s i.e., 240Kbps-400Kbps
For Bit Torrents: 30-80KB/s i.e., 240Kbps-640Kbps
For P2P(Limewire/Bearshare): 40-100KB/s i.e., 320Kbps-800Kbps

Not only that, but, in some very forunate cases, my speeds used to hit the 1Mbps margin too. So, on an average, for any type of download, I used to get around 50-100KB/s.

This does seem unbelievable. It was for me too. The only reason for the high speed I guessed was that the network technicians at my ISP(i.e., at V-Online) are a bunch of dumb guys, and must've given 1Mbps line to me instead of 128Kbps line, because I don't remember adopting any special methods/gimmicks on my ADSL Router by myself. I never changed any of its parameters or anything. All I used to do was just port forwarding when required. But, the strangest thing that even today I cannot understand is how was I able to get speeds of the range 50-100KB/s on a 128kbps connection.

Now, I cannot so easily conclude that my ISP has no knowledge of what he's providing to his customer, isn't it! Moreover, V-Online is a famous ISP in our city(Visakhapatnam).

PRESENT(using BSNL Dataone UL900 Plan):

On July 30, we moved into a new house which is quite far away from the main city. In this new area, BSNL is the only ISP available. So, I was kind of compelled to take this connection. I applied for the connection in august 2nd week. But, since the people in the Telephone Exchange at my new place are kind of lazy guys, I got the landline connection on September 3rd, and I got the broadband on Sept. 6th(i.e., yesterday).

Now, I started downloading a torrent file. I bought a D-Link DSL-502T modem. So, I did the necessary port forwarding for BitTorrent. And, the speed I'm getting is around 28KB/s. Now, this is expected as my connection is 256Kbps, so I should get speeds around 25-32KB/s.

Now, if anybody can explain to me what was it that "V-Online" provided me that the BSNL guy has failed to provide ?
How was I able to get such high download speeds back in the old ISP days ??

These questions are still unanswered to me. The only alternatives I have is either to assume that there something very technical about the ISPs, bandwidths, and speeds that is beyond my knwoledge scope or to assume that the V-Online guys are a bunch of nuts(like I mentioned before).

Now, some of you might have a doubt, as to why didn't I ask the V-Online people the reason for my high speeds. Well, that would be the most dumbest thing to be done. It's obvious that I enjoyed 1Mbps speeds while paying for only 128Kbps line. So, I was afraid they will cut short my bandwidth back to original package (i.e., 128Kbps) or even charge me for illegal 1Mbps speed. So, all those 6months, I just kept my mouth shut and paid the regular bill for 128Kbps line(it was Rs. 550/-). Moreover, on top of everything, I was happy about the luck I had.

Now, being used to such high speeds, I'm not able to digest the low speeds of BSNL Dataone. So, I need any one of you guys to consider the "V-Online" case as a classic example to solve the mystery of this ADSL technology (and ofcourse only if u feel that the V-Online guys are not dumb).

Last edited:

imperialguy

Now, what I'm going ask will seem very weird and practically impossible to many of u. But, since I couldn't resolve the issue by myself, I decided to pose my queries.

Until a month back, I used the internet connection provided by a private ISP called as "V-Online". Currently, I'm using the "BSNL Dataone 256kbps UL900".
Now, I'm going to divide my post into two parts:
PAST(while using V-Online) and
PRESENT(using BSNL), to explain the situation, and then the queries follow.

Request: Please be patient and read the whole post.

PAST(when I used V-Online):

My package was 128Kbps UL, and the connection was ADSL-based. So, I got an ADSL Router and a copper wire line from the ISP. Now, with an ADSL Router and a 128Kbps connection, the expected max. download speeds should be 128/8=16KB/s. Isn't it ?
But, do you know how much speed I used to get. I used to get the following speeds for the corresponding types of downloads:

For Direct HTTP downloads: 50-100KB/s i.e., 400Kbps-800Kbps
For FTP downloads: 30-50KB/s i.e., 240Kbps-400Kbps
For Bit Torrents: 30-80KB/s i.e., 240Kbps-640Kbps
For P2P(Limewire/Bearshare): 40-100KB/s i.e., 320Kbps-800Kbps

Not only that, but, in some very forunate cases, my speeds used to hit the 1Mbps margin too. So, on an average, for any type of download, I used to get around 50-100KB/s.

This does seem unbelievable. It was for me too. The only reason for the high speed I guessed was that the network technicians at my ISP(i.e., at V-Online) are a bunch of dumb guys, and must've given 1Mbps line to me instead of 128Kbps line, because I don't remember adopting any special methods/gimmicks on my ADSL Router by myself. I never changed any of its parameters or anything. All I used to do was just port forwarding when required. But, the strangest thing that even today I cannot understand is how was I able to get speeds of the range 50-100KB/s on a 128kbps connection.

Now, I cannot so easily conclude that my ISP has no knowledge of what he's providing to his customer, isn't it! Moreover, V-Online is a famous ISP in our city(Visakhapatnam).

PRESENT(using BSNL Dataone UL900 Plan):

On July 30, we moved into a new house which is quite far away from the main city. In this new area, BSNL is the only ISP available. So, I was kind of compelled to take this connection. I applied for the connection in august 2nd week. But, since the people in the Telephone Exchange at my new place are kind of lazy guys, I got the landline connection on September 3rd, and I got the broadband on Sept. 6th(i.e., yesterday).

Now, I started downloading a torrent file. I bought a D-Link DSL-502T modem. So, I did the necessary port forwarding for BitTorrent. And, the speed I'm getting is around 28KB/s. Now, this is expected as my connection is 256Kbps, so I should get speeds around 25-32KB/s.

Now, can anybody explain to me what was it that "V-Online" provided me that the BSNL guy has failed to provide ?
How was I able to get such high download speeds back in the old ISP days ??

These questions are still unanswered to me. The only alternatives I have is either to assume that there something very technical about the ISPs, bandwidths, and speeds that is beyond my knwoledge scope or to assume that the V-Online guys are a bunch of nuts(like I mentioned before).

Now, some of you might have a doubt, as to why didn't I ask the V-Online people the reason for my high speeds. Well, that would be the most dumbest thing to be done. It's obvious that I enjoyed 1Mbps speeds while paying for only 128Kbps line. So, I was afraid they will cut short my bandwidth back to original package (i.e., 128Kbps) or even charge me for illegal 1Mbps speed. So, all those 6months, I just kept my mouth shut and paid the regular bill for 128Kbps line(it was Rs. 550/-). Moreover, on top of everything, I was happy about the luck I had.

Now, being used to such high speeds, I'm not able to digest the low speeds of BSNL Dataone. So, I need any one of you guys to consider the "V-Online" case as a classic example to solve the mystery of this ADSL technology (and ofcourse only if u feel that the V-Online guys are not dumb).

Last edited:

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United

@imperialguy: why this double post?

I think it is plain and simple. When you used to have V-online, you did not 128kbps line as you had thought. Neither you had 1MBps line. In an 1MBps line you should have got around 120-125kbps download speeds on everything (1024/8=128 approx). But you have mentioned you got speeds in the range of 60-100kbps. I think you got a 768kbps line with V-online, so that the download speed is 768/8=96kbps approx.

There is a phenomenon of burst in speeds initially when the speed increases dramatically. It also occurs with me in torrents and download accelerator when I get 40-45kbps speed in 256kbps line. Then the speed normalizes to 28-30kbps. It does not seem to be the case with you as you have mentioned that you got those speeds constantly.

So only solution: You were very much lucky and used a 768kbps line for that period by only paying for 128kbps. We wish we were that lucky.:(

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com

v-online is not alone!
i have BSnl dataone 256kbps sometimes i also get more speeds than i pay for:)
like for an hour i will get around 35-40kBps:D.till now i considered myself lucky but now my seeing u i am feeling the real meaning of being lucky.

whoa!50kBps on 128kbps line

btw, where do u live & also ur friends also got the same speeds on v-online?

Top Bottom