planning to buy 24" WIDE LCD FROM DELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
You won't be able to play oblivion at native resolution with a 7900GT too, you'll have to turn down eyecandies . I'd suggest you stick to your 7600GT and wait till jan and get a decent DX10 card then.

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
dont forget
*www.nzone.com/object/nzone_downloads_rel70betadriver.html

talking about SLi check out this MONSTER
*www.nvidia.com/page/quadroplex.html

SLI'ing won't help much either (with oblivion at 1920x1200) so, no, i wouldn't suggest it. Especially if you have upgarde plans in the near future.

Last edited:

nightcrawler

Broken In
OK Thanks.

Now that I have decided to buy Dell 2407 I would like to ask all the others who have bought it for the prices for which they got it. Currently online it is for Rs 39,900 without the Taxes. Did they give u any discounts on price. I have heard that they do give discounts on the quoted prices. Also did anyone get the A03 version of the monitor.
On Dell official forum they say that Dell did not wish to replace A02s that they had already shipped so they only mentioned that A03 update has only language support, but actually have also worked a bit on the banding issues.
BTW does anyone have Dell Discount coupons and would like to give them away for free :p

1. Dell dicount coupons do not work in India.

2. A03 is not being shipped in India yet.

3. One guy i know managed to get the taxes off on his 2407, but he is a top govt. official and i wouldn't count that, other than that never heard of a discount on 2407's. They keep saying that there is already 14100 off as introductory offer, so no further discounts are possible.

And for banding or other issues, my A02 has none. :)

goobimama

 Macboy
One more thing. The dell is HDCP as well right? So I can plug in an HDTV signal whenever that does come to India eh?

nightcrawler

Broken In
but dell's hdcp is 720p and not 1080i is it not? That is what BenQ people are saying that unlike dell's their's is full 1080i HDCP monitor

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
nightcrawler said:
but dell's hdcp is 720p and not 1080i is it not? That is what BenQ people are saying that unlike dell's their's is full 1080i HDCP monitor

High Definition 1080i =1920x1080
dell 2407 max resolution =1920x1200

for more *en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1080i
and *www1.ap.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/2407wfp_in?c=in&l=en&s=bsd

nightcrawler

Broken In
ya I know abt those two links coz i had wikied it earlier but i came across this This official Benq forum that said something else

[H]ard|Forum - Official BenQ FP241W Thread !!! Info, Pictures, Reviews

Anyways thanks for clearing the doubt. Though I am not complaining coz Buying Dell 2407 by the time Diwali comes. Good gift for myself for diwali :cool: ...what u say? ;)

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
Diwali

that's "the" gift any comp user would like to receive...

For all those widescreen users, try this TV Application to zoom for TV W/O black bars!
*www.chris-tv.com/download.html

Last edited:

vikassethi

Broken In
Pardon me for sounding like an illiterate amongst you, but after reading all this, I have decided to buy this screen myself. However, as I am into programming, I do not have the luxury to run the machine at very high modes and most of the time, I have to work in 800 by 600 mode. I have four questions to ask:
1. Does this TFT supports 800 by 600 mode? If yes, then what is the highest refresh rate that it supports? There are some TFT's that I have seen not working well in 800 by 600 mode.
2. I have a 1 Kva UPS. How much power does this TFT requires? In case there is no electricity, will my UPS take the load of this screen?
3. Is this 24 inches best in its calls or there are even better screens available?
4. Will it run with my Intel Original mother board on board display card?

aadipa

Padawan
This is slightly off topic but I see lot of big-screen users here so posting here instead of new thread.

One of my friend is looking for 21" CRT (Samsung 1100MB). Is it a good model? He is not going for LCD coz of colors are different, he is used to 1100MB.

Should I encorage him for LCD? If yes, what should be ideal choice? He is a illustator, so color reproduction is a sure point to look for. If LCD then which? In case of CRT, any alternatives?

In case of my Samsung 713N 17" LCD, colors do differ than my Samsung 793MB. Is it same in high-end LCDs?

SHREY

Broken In
vikassethi said:
Does this TFT supports 800 by 600 mode? If yes, then what is the highest refresh rate that it supports? There are some TFT's that I have seen not working well in 800 by 600 mode.

I think there should not be any 800 by 600 display mode. Because widescreens have 16:9 aspect ratio which is completely different from CRT aspect ratio of 4:3. So, 800 by 600 is not possible in widescreen monitors..

vikassethi said:
Pardon me for sounding like an illiterate amongst you, but after reading all this, I have decided to buy this screen myself. However, as I am into programming, I do not have the luxury to run the machine at very high modes and most of the time, I have to work in 800 by 600 mode. I have four questions to ask:
1. Does this TFT supports 800 by 600 mode? If yes, then what is the highest refresh rate that it supports? There are some TFT's that I have seen not working well in 800 by 600 mode.
2. I have a 1 Kva UPS. How much power does this TFT requires? In case there is no electricity, will my UPS take the load of this screen?
3. Is this 24 inches best in its calls or there are even better screens available?
4. Will it run with my Intel Original mother board on board display card?

1. Yes it will sure support but, it'll look pretty bad, cause LCD's are manufactured to run at their native resolutions. LCD's don't refresh so not higher not lower. 60Hz look wayyy better on LCD's than on any CRT at 90Hz.

2. A 24" LCD uses less power than 15" CRT, so you'll most probably get greater standby times.

3. Afaik this is the largest locally available in india apart from the apple 30" which have their own set of issues along with the huge price tag.

4. It might... i don't know what onboard chip you have. But will recommend a better GPU, atleast a Gefoce 7 series.

@Shrey

It's possible but it'll look streched and boxed etc. etc. These displays put black bars at the sides to display 4:3 stuff.
LCD look best at their native resolutions.

Last edited:
OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
aadipa said:
This is slightly off topic but I see lot of big-screen users here so posting here instead of new thread.

One of my friend is looking for 21" CRT (Samsung 1100MB). Is it a good model? He is not going for LCD coz of colors are different, he is used to 1100MB.

Should I encorage him for LCD? If yes, what should be ideal choice? He is a illustator, so color reproduction is a sure point to look for. If LCD then which? In case of CRT, any alternatives?

In case of my Samsung 713N 17" LCD, colors do differ than my Samsung 793MB. Is it same in high-end LCDs?

in my experience colors/photos look MUCH BETTER on an LCD than CRT and I dont see any reason why ur friend shouldnt upgrade to an LCD.The saved money via electr. bill can go else where;-)
-------------------------------------------
MotherBoard GPU Chips Can Kiss My A**!

Last edited:

vikassethi

Broken In
Thanks guys. This means I cant afford to use a TFT till the time applications are being made in 800 by 600 mode. I appreciate you answers.

goobimama

 Macboy
Professionals around the globe are using LCD monitors now. Take for example Apple. Their products are known to be used by graphics pros and they have converted their entire product line to LCD. No CRT. Sure the CRTs give better colour reproduction, but the gap is very very small now compared to earlier. You also need to calibrate your monitor well to give good performance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom