planning to buy 24" WIDE LCD FROM DELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

RinceWind

Broken In
Hey Goobi, congratulations! Welcome to the 24 Club! Is it an A02 also?

And sorry about the non-review... I had my weekly offs on Tuesday and Wednesday and had planned to write a detailed review but somehow the time passed very quickly playing COD2 and watching movies on the 2407! I'm sure u understand! I've got loads of pics ready for the review but no text.

One of the best things about the 2407 is that it scales well so even if you need to play games at low res till your new gfx card arrives, it won't look TOO bad.

As far as Analog v Digital... i've noticed that many people around the world are actually preferring Analog on this monitor over Digital as the banding pretty much goes away in Analog. Ofcourse, most of us are not so picky and don't mind a bit of banding. But still, it just goes to show that Analog is very usable and there is not much image quality diff between VGA and DVI.

Anyway, enjoy the monitor and I'm sure we all will understand if the review gets delayed a bit. ;)

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
Enjoy My Breth"ren

goobimama i'm pleased to see u finally got ur 24' biggie welcome to the world of
larger field of view....I am not good of a writer thus no review.
ENJOY!

Last edited:

nightcrawler

Broken In
hi all, Even I am planning to buy a 24" widescreen monitor. Was gonna buy 2407WFP but came to know about BenQ's new FP241W which is supposed to be better than dell's 2407. Does any one know more abt this BenQ Monitor and its price?
Thanks in Advance

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
guys i want to buy a widescreen tft too..
but my pockets dont allow a 24" monster but a simple 19" village guy :)

any suggestions...

nightcrawler

Broken In
hey just came to know that the BenQ FP241 is 1st 24" lcd supporting full HDCP support and has n HDMI input. Will post more info when I get it. I have mailed the company asking for its arrival in India and its approximate price. Lets see!!!

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
the monitor looks great! The price should be a major factor between DELL & BENQ... talk about competition in the widescreen market..

@Rollercoaster

19' ACER WIDESCREEN INR 16,500/-(Central India)
u lucky bast***!
*www.acer.co.in/contactus.html

Last edited:

nightcrawler

Broken In
ya it looks great...there is a review of the monitor at trustedreview.com as well though the review is not that detailed and technical. I mailed the BenQ guys yeterday and still havent got their reply. Now will have to call them and find out.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
thanks for the info.. are there any more alternatives.. my local vendors say that acer is real bad at service. tho the prices are attractive...

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
i think acer is the only one providing it at that price...my contact says none of the other brands have come out with widescreen range.

Zenith offers an 19' wide lcd in a bundle package, price wouldnt be below 20K though. and i think it uses acer

Last edited:

nightcrawler

Broken In
I finally received a reply from Dell. Here it is.

Hi,

We have discontinued the model 241W from India. We can give u 222W – 22” wide at the rate of Rs. 25200.00 tax paid / octroi at actuals.

Attached is the write up for the same. Pl ease do revert.
Thanks & regards

Sudip De
National Sales Manager - IT
BenQ India Pvt. Ltd,
UGF # 62 A, World Trade Centre,
Babar Road, Connaught Place,
New Delhi - 110001
Ph # 011 - 41604990 - 91
Mobile # 9312378705 / 9899013070

This really is confusing. :confused: Why would they discontinue a product which has just been launched (21st Semptember, Worldwide) And if they don't want to sell the product in India then why are they advertising it on their India website :x .

So I guess if I have to buy the BenQ 24" (It still seems to be a good monitor, though not come across its reviews), then I will have to buy it from outside India. I have some doubts regarding it.

1. Any one has had any experience of buying any product from sites like newegg.com? How good are they?
  2. Will I still be eligible for the product warrantee here in India, if say I buy it from US?

Also please suggest some site from where I can get it if I do. (Although now after the mail I am more inclined in going for the Dell 2407)

Thanks In Advance

▀#!/usr/bin/perl

Right off the assembly line
Hi there!

I too am planning to buy this dell 24" wide screen display, but I have one issue, since I am not using any graphics card, I would have to buy one, so can u find me one please :) for high resolution display

specs:
amd64 2800+
Gigabyte KMK800 (Via chipset)
1Gig +1Gig
Raid 0 on sata250+250 & Pata 250+120+80GB
Dvdrw etc

I would prefer if the gpu is upto standard for all the bell&whistle for upcomming "vista" gui :),
also I am *NOT* a gamer, usually i have 20-30 linux terminals opened up scrolling through the log files. But I do play whole mother loads of dvd & watch tv on my pc as well. So great hardware gurus suggest me one
anything under 10k-12k would be good, but if somthings really nice then i can redifine my upperlimit

~thx
gautam

goobimama

 Macboy
@nightcrawler: I have had very bad experiences with products bought from abroad. Forget about warranty. they say that there is global warranty, but when you take it to a service center in India, you are asked to pay for any repairs...

And newegg does not ship to India NOR does it accept an Indian credit card. I wanted to order a card from newegg, get it shipped to a US address but my card was rejected.

Items bought from abroad: Nikon Coolpix 3200 Digital Camera, Compaq 1200 series Laptop, HP scanner.

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
"XFX GeForceR 7900 GS is priced at Rs. 15,500 ( SERP) and will be available from the third week of September at the company's national distributor Rashi Peripherals and its 46 branches all over India. All XFX graphic cards carry three years Rashi warranty"

*www.crn-india.com/breakingnews/stories/66570.html

@▀#!/usr/bin/perl
First, what is SERP??
IF that price is true then LOOK NO FURTHER;-)

Here are some pictures of my 2407WFP which arrived some days ago.

*img155.imagevenue.com/loc593/th_34173_DSCN3204_122_593lo.JPG*img22.imagevenue.com/loc316/th_34182_DSCN3208_122_316lo.JPG*img145.imagevenue.com/loc545/th_34192_DSCN3197_122_545lo.JPG*img121.imagevenue.com/loc571/th_34202_DSCN3198_122_571lo.JPG
*img157.imagevenue.com/loc593/th_34211_DSCN3207_122_593lo.JPG *img150.imagevenue.com/loc513/th_34777_DSCN3188_122_513lo.JPG
Please bear in mind that this is a photograph of a LCD and the actual thing looks a million times better than this.

Sorry for the sh1tty pictures (ancient 2MP cam you see...)

I just wanted to share my joys with you guys (naaah...just showin off :D).

Playing Battlefield currently and , boy am i glad i got this.

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
I've bought an eVGA 7900GT second hand (actually, its new, a replacement piece) from ebay. Cost me around 10.5k. Item has been shipped last tuesday....Me very excited.

nightcrawler

Broken In
I have decided to go with dell 2407. Now even i hav a question abt the gpu to use i hav a 7600GT based card. And I plan to play games like oblivion at monitor's native resolution. Now the question that I have is if I go for another 7600GT in SLI instead of going for one new say 7900 GT then will these two cards outperform one 7900GT. The reason I ask this is i don't want to upgrade to a high end graphic card yet (waiting for DX 10 based cards). Also as latest digit reviews say there is no point in going for SLI solution for high end cards right now. So my question is by adding one more 7600GT will I be able to play games like oblivion comfortably (with almost all if not all game effects turned on and at good frames) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom