planning to buy 24" WIDE LCD FROM DELL

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
vikassethi said:
Thanks guys. This means I cant afford to use a TFT till the time applications are being made in 800 by 600 mode. I appreciate you answers.

Applications adjusts itself depending ANY RESOLUTION u chose..

and

CRTs are capable of displaying multiple video resolutions without introducing artifacts, LCD displays produce crisp images only in their "native resolution" and, sometimes, fractions of that native resolution. Attempting to run LCD display panels at non-native resolutions usually results in the panel scaling the image, which introduces blurriness or "blockiness".

Vikas, i tried running a C++ compiler on my monitor today and it looked fine to me. not as crisp as windows but pretty good, and when run in windowed mode it looked same as windows.

nightcrawler

Broken In
@vikas
I also am into programming. At the place where I work, all the comps have lcds (minimum 17 inches) running at native at their native resolutions (min 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz) and having onboard graphics. I don't know where you got the Idea that programming should be done at lowly resolution of 800x600.

More the screen area more the area for programming and better display of your code. If you want to upgrade ur monitor and are not into gaming then i suggest a 17 " - 20 " lcd monitor. Don't go for 2407 coz if used for only programming purpose u won't be utilizing all the monitor's features and performance plus the monitor is not that cheap.

For Programming this monitor should not be used go for a cheaper solution

vikassethi

Broken In
nightcrawler said:
@vikas
I also am into programming. At the place where I work, all the comps have lcds (minimum 17 inches) running at native at their native resolutions (min 1280 x 1024 @ 60 Hz) and having onboard graphics. I don't know where you got the Idea that programming should be done at lowly resolution of 800x600.

More the screen area more the area for programming and better display of your code. If you want to upgrade ur monitor and are not into gaming then i suggest a 17 " - 20 " lcd monitor. Don't go for 2407 coz if used for only programming purpose u won't be utilizing all the monitor's features and performance plus the monitor is not that cheap.

For Programming this monitor should not be used go for a cheaper solution
Designs created of 1280 by 1024 would go out of screen in 800 by 600 mode. That's why for desktop or database solutions where maximum users still use 800 by 600 mode, I cant not afford to use 1280 by 1024 mode. Probably your users have 1280 mode.

However as LCD's get common and affordable, I see more use of 1280 in another 3 to 4 months from now and hope that 1280 will replace 800 mode. Till then, I will have to live with this CRT.
I spoke to someone technical in Dell and they claim that this monitor displays 800 by 600 as perfectly as it displays higher resolution. They are giving a 21 days buy back option in which in case I do not get the satisfaction, I can return the monitor to them. Any advise?

Last edited:
OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
Sir, please post a link/something to backup ur argument.

&

Dell here, is 1920x1200.So IMHO just stick to ur square box i.e, CRT.

Last edited:

vikassethi

Broken In
W i d e S c r e e N said:
Sir, please post a link/something to backup ur argument.

&

Dell here, is 1920x1200.So IMHO just stick to ur square box i.e, CRT.
Which area would you like more links for? The one that says that designs made in 1280 would go out in 800?

vikassethi

Broken In
W i d e S c r e e N said:
yes im just curious
Just open C++ or VB. Design a form in a higher resolution like 1024 or above. Set the resolution to 800 by 600 and you will see you design go out of your screen. No links required :)

nightcrawler

Broken In
if u mean giving compatiblity to resolutions running at 800 x 600 then this is not the best way to do it. For that u need to resize ur form/dialog/window depending upon the current desktop resolution.

And btw if that is all u want an 800 x 600 monitor for then i strongly suggest to move over to a 17" or a 19" non widescreen lcd monitor...as they support 800 x 600 resolution and although optimally u shud run these monitors at their native resolutions u will not find as such any difference if u want to design forms in 800 x 600. After designing u can always move back to native resolution.

vikassethi

Broken In
nightcrawler said:
if u mean giving compatiblity to resolutions running at 800 x 600 then this is not the best way to do it. For that u need to resize ur form/dialog/window depending upon the current desktop resolution.

And btw if that is all u want an 800 x 600 monitor for then i strongly suggest to move over to a 17" or a 19" non widescreen lcd monitor...as they support 800 x 600 resolution and although optimally u shud run these monitors at their native resolutions u will not find as such any difference if u want to design forms in 800 x 600. After designing u can always move back to native resolution.

17" or a 19" non widescreen is the correct answer. Thanks.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
hey guys..

i have been long waiting to buy a 19" wide lcd.

finally i have two options acer(12000) and HP W19E(18000)

i am not keen for acer due to poor services etc..

in my town there is not much availability and high price...

Q1. do u think the price is ok
Q2. I am a hardcore gamer and a movie buff, my majour reason for wide LCD i slow power consumption and wide screen movies. This lcd has a 5MS refresh rate, amounting to a max of 20fps delivery(100ms/5ms=20frames, is my ideology correct?) but for ideal gaming atleast an affective fps of 30 is needed. i dont want to affect my gaming. i have to idea abt LCDs as i have just never used them, excpt on my laptop(there is lot of blurr while scrroling text). as i will be selling my 17" monitor to buy this LCD i wont have a 'later' to change my mind. so what do u guys think. is a LCD good enought for gaming as well as movies and scrolling text??

Edited:
<i stand corrected, 1 sec = 1000ms>

Last edited:

goobimama

 Macboy
btw, "ms" is Mili seconds which means you have to do the math in the form of 1000ms/5ms = 200fps. Am I right? I'm not very sure but I think it is that way (I did fail in my math exam though)

That being said, 5ms is quite good for gaming.

doom_marine

Journeyman
Hey guys iwant to buy this LCD after reading all this. Is the banding a major problem.

I have two 7800GTX 512 in SLi and can i play most modern games at high resolution, can iconnect the XBOX 360 to it and can i buy it online anywhere. That would be more convinient. How did you guys pay for the product??

Thanks

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
If u did read the thread u shouldve noticed that none of the "users" have replaced it cause of banding...

with those 3D Cards u can play all games out there until atleast 3-4 years!

U can connect xbox. I paid it by DD

For more try PAGE 1 of this thread..

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
goobimama said:
btw, "ms" is Mili seconds which means you have to do the math in the form of 1000ms/5ms = 200fps. Am I right?

holy 5hit... u r right... i feel like kicking myself in the butt for being so stupid. i was thinking that a sec has 100ms. DAMN.

thanks man

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom