Status
Not open for further replies.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
This months IC CHIP.

But if you want a 19" TFT, your best bet is:
Samsung 940BW
Viewsonic VA1912WB

Both have the same features and cost. DVI, widescreen, 8ms response time.
Price Rs. 15,000 approx.

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
!!!!!4MS RESPONSE TIME!!!!!
*www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1067655&page=1&pp=20
its for samsung im too tired to read it
i think u should go for samsung main reason being the Service&Support with Samsung India..acer lacks it..it lacks it bad

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
well yes the website says 4ms, but gray-to-gray so may be on the safe side we can say 8ms for black to white....

the local dealer is asking a lot of price....

Last edited:

nightcrawler

Broken In
all response times are mentioned gray to gray by all manufacturers...bcoz they are lesser than black to white which are in range of around 16 -25 ms. Also g2g response is given bcoz they say that there are hardly times when b2w or w2b transitions happen. What u shud look at is neither...go to some review sites. If u plan to buy from someone like dell then u will be at an advantage of seeing the performance of lcd. (bcoz i think they hav 15 days money back scheme although i dont know for sure...i haven't received my monitor yet).
So in short look at the performance of monitor in retail shops etc and then decide on it.

Also the calculation that you mentioned is not correct. The response rate is one pixel changing frm g2g or b2w and not a frame. LCDs don't work like CRTs in which a frame is drawn and then redrawn in raster scanning mode. LCDs work differently. So i guess ur logic of fps of 20 or 30 or whtever is wrong :)

Rollercoaster

hey delhi people... can u give me some palce in delhi where i can but samsung 940bw. i have to go to gurgaon on 28th so i will try to search but if i can get some pointer that it would be very easy.

nehru place i am guessing.... but any dealer there.. and most imp what would be the price of this model.

or if u can provide the telephone num for samsung dealer then i can call him and get the right price..

ur help would be much appriciated...

vikassethi

Broken In
Rollercoaster said:
hey delhi people... can u give me some palce in delhi where i can but samsung 940bw. i have to go to gurgaon on 28th so i will try to search but if i can get some pointer that it would be very easy.

nehru place i am guessing.... but any dealer there.. and most imp what would be the price of this model.

or if u can provide the telephone num for samsung dealer then i can call him and get the right price..

ur help would be much appriciated...
The main dealer of Samsung products in Nehru Place is Champion and his shop os in the corner of a building on the first floor. I dont remember the name of the building but its in the main Nehru Place market. Here are his phone nos: 26426280, 26413741.

Rollercoaster

hey thanks man.. i enquired for the price of samsung 940BW = 15400Rs. and most prob here in dehradun it will cost me abt 16500rs. do u thinkit is a wise choice. expecially when i am replacing it with my 17" monitor. i understand that there is not that much of a screen size increase and practically the height(1440x900) of the 19" wide lcd will be slightly lesser then the 17"(1280x960).

1440x900 - recommended resolution for the 940BW (vertical height = 9.4")
1280x960 - comfartable resolution for my 17 crt, tho it can go up to 1600x1200@75hz (Acer AF715) (vertical height = 10")

so other then on movies i actually have the same vertical working area....

this makes me wonder is it worth speding 16-17k for a couple of inches? should i wait and get a larger LCD?

i am so confused? tho i want the power saving that the LCD brings...

Last edited:

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Even though your CRT can display 1600x1200 confortably, the viewable area still remains the same. A 19" LCD has a significantly larger area than a 17" CRT especially for movies not to mention the other advantages of a LCD.

You're better off buying a 19" LCD because from 20" and above the price of LCD's really shoots up and costs way more than 20k.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
It depends on the applications you use. If you have 2 programs open simultaneously then using them side by side on a widescreen is better than Alt-tabbing in a CRT.

Even for gaming, widescreen is useful as all new games support the resolution. FPS games are particularly suited to it as a wide field of vision lets you see more around you without having to move around.

Rollercoaster

thanks a lot man. i will wait for some more people to comment....

btw i dont think people use vertical tile as the result is very small width to work with individual windows

Last edited:

Rollercoaster

alright guys i got a brand new samsung 940BW....it is awsome!

one thing i want to know.. when lower resolutions are selected then they get stretched to fill the whole screen. how can i avoid that. i mean do i have an option to disable the auto stretch feature. as some game dont have widescreen support and run in 4:3 aspect ration and look really really bad when stretched to 16:10 ration of the widescreen LCD...

or alteast to make the stretching while preserving the aspect ratio.

OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
congrats!.......

4:3
there shuold be one on the monitors' OSD menu?
If not try your display properties' aspect ratio scaling.

Last edited:

Rollercoaster

hey guys i cant do it right...

These are the nvidia display options
*img228.imageshack.us/img228/1180/dispzi4.png
here i have the options but they do not work as desired. when selecting 'center' then the display does get smaller but the aspect ratio is still 16:10
and when i select 'fixed aspect ratio scaling' then also the aspect ratio is freaked out.

here are the OSD functions of the display
*img228.imageshack.us/img228/8436/osdmw2.png
the first coloum is the menu section and the respective row for each entry are the options available under that menu section.
I couldnt find any option to disable scaling.

*www.widescreengamingforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Master_Games_List_-_A

you might want to search for patches for games you play, for support for widescreen displays.

just spend some time reading the above forums for enjoying the full advantages of the new WS you just purchased.

Rollercoaster

yes i am familiar with the website. it is quite helpfull.
but my concern is not just the games but other stuff too

Rollercoaster

like a software i am developing.. it needs 4:3..i cant convert it to 16:10

for eg when i am using my widescreen laptop i can press crrl+alt+F11 to toggle automatic stretching for lower resolutions...

this feature has to be there.. but where is it???

also consider hitman blood money... it has native widescreen support but only at the max resolution of 1440x900, and at this resolution i have to turn all th other eye candy options to min to get it at playable fps

Last edited:
OP
W

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
first change the desktop resolution to 4:3.
640x480/800x600/1024x768/
OR
I think the maximum 4:3 in your case will be
1280x1024

then try the nvidia control panel thing.

and widescreen gaming forum will treat u for Blood Money..

vikassethi

Broken In
Rollercoaster said:
like a software i am developing.. it needs 4:3..i cant convert it to 16:10

for eg when i am using my widescreen laptop i can press crrl+alt+F11 to toggle automatic stretching for lower resolutions...

this feature has to be there.. but where is it???

also consider hitman blood money... it has native widescreen support but only at the max resolution of 1440x900, and at this resolution i have to turn all th other eye candy options to min to get it at playable fps
That is the point I raised in this thread. If I want to develop softwares in 800 by 600 mode then is it possible with 19" or higher wide screen LCD's? If yes, then is the quality same as that of a CRT monitor? I am planning to but a 19" ViewSonic CRT as I dont think a LCD displays good quality picture other than its native resolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom