Piracy Right or Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gulgulumaal

Broken In
I would say Piracy is the number 1 reason many softwares are so popular. Best example is MS Windows.

I believe the real reason people pirate windows, is because it is so easy to do so. You dont pay for Windows and it does everything you want it to do including running your games/movies/software whatever. It's so convenient. Moral/Legal issues apart, why would anyone want to pay for it?

Imagine for a moment that it was not possible to pirate Windows XP/Vista, no matter what you tried to do. No hack or crack would work. In developed countries like US, people might still buy branded PCs/laptops with preinstalled windows, but in a country like India, that could really boost the popularity of free operating systems (read Linux).

If suddenly there were so many users for Linux in our country and other developing countries, it would result in a huge online community for support and advice. As the community grows and people become used to Linux, there would be no real reason to return to Windows.

And that could really spell the end of the domination of Windows in developing countries. I really believe M$ are shooting themselves in the foot by going ahead with this WGA stuff and making windows harder and harder to pirate. I really hope and pray they are successful in making windows impossible to pirate (or atleast too difficult to be practical to pirate).

That day would be a golden day in the history of Open source software :)

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gulgulumaal said:
I really believe M$ are shooting themselves in the foot by going ahead with this WGA stuff and making windows harder and harder to pirate. I really hope and pray they are successful in making windows impossible to pirate (or atleast too difficult to be practical to pirate).
You are wrong. MS wants a balance between legal and pirated copy users to keep its market share. Otherwise why would all the activation and WGA methods be cracked in almost less than an hour or being released??!! If they make their products hard to pirate then except some developed country MS will completely lose its market share.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^M$ actually support piracy in countries like ours.They know most people can't\won't buy windows at any cost and if they don't use windows then they lose their customers to Linux....So what do they?they do nothing to stop piracy in these countries.Tell me why are they providing IE7 without any WGA check now?

Windows piracy is the main obstacle in the path of Linux becoming the most used OS.

gulgulumaal

Broken In
infra_red_dude said:
You are wrong. MS wants a balance between legal and pirated copy users to keep its market share. Otherwise why would all the activation and WGA methods be cracked in almost less than an hour or being released??!!

That's an interesting viewpoint :)
Maintaining a balance between legal and pirated versions?? I dont think so.
M$ is doing everything they can to stop piracy. WGA and activation are being cracked because hackers are smart.

infra_red_dude said:
If they make their products hard to pirate then except some developed country MS will completely lose its market share.

That's exactly what they're doing now. Vista is not easy to pirate. And if they fix the crack that's doing the rounds now (I dont want to give details here, but I hope u know what I'm talking about), I think u wud pretty much have to flash ur BIOS to use Vista peacefully. And that's not a very easy/safe thing to do.

A vista pirated version came which is pre activated needs not crack nothing and works like original one than who will buy the original one?

gulgulumaal

Broken In
The_Devil_Himself said:
^^M$ actually support piracy in countries like ours.They know most people can't\won't buy windows at any cost and if they don't use windows then they lose their customers to Linux....So what do they?they do nothing to stop piracy in these countries.Tell me why are they providing IE7 without any WGA check now?

Windows piracy is the main obstacle in the path of Linux becoming the most used OS.
For misers like us they come up with <drumroll> Vista Starter Edition </drumroll> :) - The most retarded OS ever(tm)
The only serious competitor is XP starter edition :)

IE7 is being offered without WGA for 2 reasons

1) Official reason - M$ is tired of supporting and bug-fixing a stupid and insecure browser like IE6. The more of ie6 around, the more headache it is for everyone including M$

2) Unofficial reason - Shameless self promotion of IE7 user base. They want pirates also on board to increase user base.

But they key difference here is that ie7 is free (cost) whereas Windows is not. M$ doesnt lose anything in a person pirating (cant really call it pirating) IE7. It has everything to gain (one more user of ie7 and 1 less user of firefox). On the contrary a person/dealer who pirates windows could mean one copy less of windows sold...which is what they want to stop.

I know M$ is well aware of their need for windows to be pirated and used in places where people dont buy windows. After all, for M$, a user using pirated windows is any day better than the user using a non-M$ operating system.

I just hope they succeed in their pursuit to make Vista tough to pirate.

abtom said:
A vista pirated version came which is pre activated needs not crack nothing and works like original one than who will buy the original one?

I'm not an expert at Vista pirating so I dont know :)
Even if such a version exists, I'm sure M$ will keep fixing it with their windows update and WGA stuff.

Last edited:

gulgulumaal

Broken In
abtom said:
it has no key dude.
no KEY setup/.......

If it has no key, then it's just an activation crack. Sure to be busted pretty soon :)
Or it's an OEM version for which u need an OEM BIOS (original or flashed).
Did u try it out?

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
gulgulumaal said:
It can coz a future WGA update can blacklist ur key.
yar Pirated windows users dont worry much about windows update and BTW what is gonna happen even if the bust\blacklist our key?They will say ok now that you have a pirated copy of vista which you are already using you can buy an original key at 50% discount and I wud say kiss my arse M$.

this discount thing has happened to me(but the product wasn't windows but****).

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
gulgulumaal said:
M$ is doing everything they can to stop piracy. WGA and activation are being cracked because hackers are smart.
You mean to say ALL the people working at MS are so dumb that even an amateur can crack WGA in a few hours. Not once, not twice but everytime? They are developing WGA (saying that its not a check, it just a tool to educate people about the genuineness), to show the world that they are worried about piracy but also make it easy to break into to see that pirated software hampers the use of OSS.

gulgulumaal said:
That's exactly what they're doing now. Vista is not easy to pirate. And if they fix the crack that's doing the rounds now (I dont want to give details here, but I hope u know what I'm talking about), I think u wud pretty much have to flash ur BIOS to use Vista peacefully. And that's not a very easy/safe thing to do.
Vista is very easy to pirate and MS can't do anything. If they do anything to stop it then no OEM will be able to bundle Vista pre-activated. Anyways, I'll limit my post here as its against to rules to even discuss the techniques used in piracy, even tho you are not supporting it.

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
infra_red_dude said:
You mean to say ALL the people working at MS are so dumb that even an amateur can crack WGA in a few hours. Not once, not twice but everytime? They are developing WGA (saying that its not a check, it just a tool to educate people about the genuineness), to show the world that they are worried about piracy but also make it easy to break into to see that pirated software hampers the use of OSS.

Completely true.Vista's WGA was cracked within minutes of its release it clearly indicating either there was some inside help or the wga was made to be cracked.

This is simple guys M$ is happy as long as the people are using windows whether it is pirated or original.They earn enough from sales in developed nations and govenrment\corporate agencies.

gulgulumaal

Broken In
infra_red_dude said:
Vista is very easy to pirate and MS can't do anything. If they do anything to stop it then no OEM will be able to bundle Vista pre-activated. Anyways, I'll limit my post here as its against to rules to even discuss the techniques used in piracy, even tho you are not supporting it.

Yup...I have a lot of questions here, about Vista pre-activation and stuff (AFAIK for OEMs to bundle Vista preactivated, the BIOS needs to be from the OEM and consistent with the OEM certificate, u cant use a generic BIOS), but as u said it's probably not a right thing to discuss on this forum. Some things are best left unsaid :)

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
^^we have Pms for that.Use PMs.
BTW yaar WGA was never made to stop piracy.M$ love piracy.They hate seeing people using OSS instead of their products.

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
well its not da update problem...many ppl using windows dont even update...dey r happy with what dey have....and even if dey update...dey do it manually or get it done by sum stupid hotfix spftware which installs updates without ne damage to dere pirated version....

I remember a case when ma brothers frnd was downloading sumthing frm MS website on his pirated XP-2 and wehn downloading was over dere was a POP UP kinda sumthing blinking everywhere on his desktop about pirated Windows and how he can make it genuine...dat popup kinda stuff was frm MS...but he soon jumped on 2 a wazer site and download a keyzen for XP and updated his key...and wola...da pop up was gone and he cud DW everything frm MS site now without dat popup....

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
Sony Has done best way to stop piracy , introduced UMD .

i have to try hard to find a game , thereore NO PSP :D(btw i can d/l)

i am happy to be a pirate , for leaarning purpose . like , if we can not afford office and want to learn it , would'nt it be difficult?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom