Piracy Right or Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
codyhulk said:
Exactly.
Why to pay for something which you can get at much cheaper rates.

For me I don't use all the features provided by MS. Maybe if Microsoft provided, Check list and rating the software accordingly I may buy it like many ebooks online.

Good, if you like it buy it. Just don't spread wrong misconceptions that MS copied this or that. By this logic Linux is the biggest copy cat & Mac OS...well, they don't even have there own in house kernel.

But if someone like Norton/ Mcafee forces me to buy thier software every 2 year just for them to provide upgrade of same thing. It isn't even getting upgraded properly. This is where Piracy for me comes in.

Actually, you can look in the market for Alternatives.

I just won't pay for same thing again and again just for stupid upgrades. Also those softwares don't even run smoothly. So actually not worth the dime they are charging

Ok one thing about smooth, taking an example of NAV 2007. Symantec learned few things from NAV 2006's pathetic consumer responce. They made NAV 2K7 fast, less resource hig & idiot proof. It runs very smooth on 512 MB RAM or more based computers

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Yea WTH are we talking about Copying from one OS to other!!! this thread was ment to discuss about Piracy.. i.e., paying for the software and not who copied what feature..

ThinkFree

Technomancer
Piracy:right for those who just like the software/find useful for those who want to save their money. Wrong for those who spend months toiling hard sleepless nights to write and test the code of program

ECE0105

In the zone
Happened to chk the link by cody and looked at the "related" videos....

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgriTO8UHvs

This is amusing...

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
If you can buy the software, or if you make money using the software (like you are using it in some studio, & you earn lots of money through that software) then buy it.

If you are a student, either Pirate or look for student edition of that software. Do some research, almost all the software students needs are available in some sort of education license. If not then look for free alternatives, & trust me, there are free alternatives available for everything in Windows, which might or might not be as good as the paid one. But its a trade you have to make.

If you are a student & also comfortable with Linux, then switch to it. But contribute something back, I don't know if even the mod contributes something back to the Linux community. At least if I liked Linux, I would have given hell lots of UIs back to the community which they need a lot.

Linux is like the Indian software industry, solid back end...but pathetic front end & end user experience.

mustang

Broken In
piracy is a very big problem which have been by the market/industries at present time.it effects the quality of product and also the economic growth.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
think of it this way
people who get pirated stuff= cant afford original
cant afford original= wont buy original
wont buy original = no profit for the producers
now,
buying pirated= no profit for the producers
i dont get it, its same thing we buy pirated because we cant afford original stuff and in the first place we werent gonna buy the original stuff anyways so how can they say that they are losing this much money which they havent even earned, so how can piracy be a bad thing, though illegal
why do people try to stop piracy its something like the revolution of the earth that cant be stopped

The_Devil_Himself

die blizzard die! D3?
Absolutely right entrana most of the students can't afford to purchase softwares like for example AUTOCAD(heard it costs a lot) but we need then so we pirate them.And anyways we are never going to buy the original versions(cos we can't afford) and this in turns help the developers as their product gain popularity.

If you can't afford it then pirate it if you really need it.

nish_higher

Wise Old Owl
piracy cant b stopped at least i cant think that happening in india and i wont say that i have not used\am not using a pirated software.for me its ok-u decide what u wanna do and nobody is ever gonna call u a pirate-coz i dont see anything like that happening.do whatever but dont earn using pirated stuff.one thing really bothers me when ppl ask me about links to cracked softwares.also feels bad seeing ppl getting stuff for free while i save every penny to buy the stuff i need :( .maybe i made biggest mistake of buying vista and other softwares :D .should have got it off torrent.there should be some system man..!

Last edited:

sakumar79

Technomancer
@entrana - people pirate not only because they cannot afford it... Sometimes, people can afford it but are either uneducated or dont care that they pirate. This is typically the case with Windows - these days, paying 4k for the OS is feasible, but many people prefer to pay 50Rs to the local assembler or dont even know that the 50Rs hidden cost is included in the system assembling charges....

Arun

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
i was just coming to that
and of course people prefer pirated cuz its cheaper, but we musnt forget there are also people buying the original which are millions in number.
and what im trying to say is piracy is kinda like illegally legal. i mean its illegal but we made it like legal. we cant really say that piracy is right, but i dont have a problem in it as long as im getting what i need why bother for the original if ur gonna get the same features.. now for example, i can afford windows vista BUT why would i wanna spend 10k for what i cna get for 100 rs
and m$ cant say theyre losing the money, because they never earned the money in the first place. why dont they just be happy with what they have, its already too much for someone to posses damn greedy b******s

fieldgunner

Broken In
Piracy follows the simple rules of supply and demand.It is not really subject to oversimplification as "right" or "wrong" because these are relative terms.
It exists because there is a need for it, and the only way to combat piracy is to eliminate the need.
The onus for this lies with the software giants, the media and music companies and the gaming companies...not with the users. There is no denying that there is a certain element of corporate greed that is obvious in software pricing. Pirates provide a rival service. If it is against the business interests of the originators they are most welcome to try their best to secure their software. But they cannot pass "moral" judgement on pirates and users of pirated software....Its all about the money and thats a fact

fieldgunner

Broken In
Thanks dude and i hope you were referring to my post...

A little amplification here...

I personally am a user of pirated, genuine and open source software.
I really dont mind paying for something that I am using. But i dont often have a choice...

I was using pirated 3ds max until about two years ago. Now had I been the person (or company) who had spent money and time on coding the software I can empathize with wanting to recover my investment and wanting to make a neat profit too.After all...its my intellectual property and i can sell it for whatever price i want. but my need to make a buck(not that there is anything wrong with that) does not eclipse somebody else's need to use my software. now i either make it available to many people by asking for a reasonable price... or someone else will. That person...the pirate...will also spend some money and time on cracking the software...so my logic for coding a software which people want and asking for a price for it actually applies to him too!

I shifted to Blender about two years back and have never regretted that decision...however i do continue to use pirated Photoshop...just because GIMP never cut it for me.

I have bought genuine Movies, Music and Games...even when they were expensive... but especially in India...money is often less of a concern than availability. It's not my fault that a particular game that I want to play is available at my neighborhood seedy cybercafe on a pirated DVD but not to be found in any of the glitzy malls and Planet Ms or what have you. The company cannot blame me for using a pirated game if it, in it's own wisdom has failed to make it reasonably available through legal and genuine outlets!
After all it has made that game for people like me who want to play it...

So while I don't support piracy and do try my best not indulge in it...when i do indulge in it it doesnt cause me sleepless nights and i certainly dont subscribe to the antipiracy lobby's view that piracy is the same as simple theft.

I say to them...make yourself available and cheap as a part of your business strategy...appealing to the conscience of the consumers is poor business. think of pirates as rival businesses providing in demand services at lower cost than yourself... and the answer to your piracy related losses will present itself automatically

ajex

Broken In
even pirates group also write in their NFOs ..that support the developers...if u like it then buy it!! .....but only a few like to buy it:p

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I have discussed the status of software protection with some groups and they have confirmed that they have worked on projects for developing hardware based software protection which is based on the A.T.A. technology,these groups do not want to be know publicly and I can't give any info on this technology the only thing i can tell is that to break this type of hardware protection one would need to emulate A.T.A. based instructions with a processor which as told by them will never be possible because the A.T.A. hardware forbids any resources to the hacker as its specifically optimized.So its not possible to read anything.
What the group says that lacks to develop such technology from corporate companies is brain power.

And BTW there are a lot of other things one should wonder thinking about like the mighty future that's ahead of us.

M

major9

These guys forgot whose going to buy their stuffs i.e middle class. If they price it according to the capacity of the middle class, who will go for pirated ones. As for piracy in the entertainment industry most people don't take the risk of loosing their money to watch a shitty film. Instead they take the pirated copies & watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom