Piracy and anti piracy in India

fieldgunner

Broken In
Rules of supply and demand are fairly simple to understand, and the root of piracy lies in that.

PRICE
Why is it that a high end, grade A, 2DVD set of a game like GTA4 can retail for 499 in India on release but Mass Effect 2 has to be 999 and Dragon Age has to be 1299? Obviously, someone is not pricing their products correctly, and is trying to make a killing at the customer's expense. I'll pay for my entertainment, but I'm not here to satisfy someone's greed.
Why does a 700Mb English Music CD still costs 400-600 bucks? The technology has not evolved over this time. I remember buying my first ever CD for exactly the same amount almost eight years ago. Since then, the prices of the media, recording equipment, playback equipment...ie the price of everything electronic has gone down. Am I expected to pay for the music I'm buying or for the private jets and expensive holidays of the record execs?
3500$ for Maya? 700$ for Photoshop? Seriously? If it wasn’t for piracy, these products wouldn’t even BE industry standards!
AVAILABILITY
Why is it that most (if not all) hollywood movies are released months after their American/European release in my town? Because it's a smaller market? Does that give the distributors the right to treat me as a second-class citizen? The average indian has to spend a higher percentage of his income on a movie ticket than an average US citizen. So why must I wait longer for the same product?
Have a look at the games available on piratebay ordered by seeders… how many of them can you find at your local PlanetM? Unless you’re in the metros, chances are that you’ll never play those games if you wait for originals. It’s been 4 months since Bioshock 2 was released. It’s still not available where I live.
DRM
Steam, SecuROM, Assassins Creed 2. Enough said.
Don’t get me wrong. I DON’T support piracy. But putting the blame on USERS of pirated software/music/films/games is, IMHO, moronic. And don’t blame the pirates either! Markets abhor a vacuum. If there is a gap between demand and supply, SOMEONE WILL FILL IT. Pirates are merely providing a service that the original creators are unable or unwilling to.
Personally, my conscience is clean even though I use pirated software. I try enough not to. I have bought my Windows7 and half my games. I started using Blender and Gimp when I found out about them, getting rid of my pirated Photoshop and Maya. I watched Avatar in 3D in an Imax. BUT… I also have downloaded mp3s, movies and some games. Anyone who calls me a thief for that is an idiot who sees the world in black and white and has the IQ of an egg. Or he’s on the MPAA/RIAA payroll.

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^U have a very valid point...thats the reason I say y should we pay for the greed of movie or music company...

like MS had made an Office student edition with simple tools...and at a much lesser budget...others can too...I cant live without MS Office...and I tried open office which is not upto the ease of use...but I cant pay 9k for the whole package....soo a budget package is always welcome

i loved what laptop companies r doing ....giving away original OS and including the price beforehand...at least its making OS legal in laptops...

I'd like to make a point.

@gagan007 here, in Bombay, a movie for a family of 4 = 1500+ Rs expenditure. Now, there's also the risk that the movie may turn out to be horrible, and 1.5k down the drain. :|

On the other hand, even by merely observing the movie's activity in the torrent world, we can judge its worth. Added bonus that you dont spend a pie AND the movie theatre wont be able to charge a bomb for refreshments.

On the software front, its a touchy issue. We want to use the best available there is, yet, the "best" is generally expensive. Companies have to pay the developers for their work, so they cant afford to pay them in peanuts, and so, jack up the software price. :(

In my opinion, what they fail to see is that by reducing costs, you are inviting more people to buy, and that should cover the development cost AND induce profits. Which is preferred? 3 sales of 15000/- each or 10-12 sales of 1500/- each in a day? Definitely the latter, as it generates popularity. :)

GTA IV is a prime example of this ideology, sales boosted to the skies when it was priced at just 500bucks. It was definitely better to buy the game and feel proud of buying original software at such a great rate, rather than wait for eons to download a 15gb rip. :rolleyes:

B

bigdaddy486

I'm totally clueless on what u r posting since last few days. What do they even mean? And why do u even post 'em?

Is he spamming, anyone? has 226 posts but such trolls :flu-mad:
Was talking abt piracy. Why i switched to Piracy.

Dude, i have like 3k on my paypal. But no online shops accept paypal.. :/
Amazon does, but it donot ship to India. I mean WTF!!

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
Rules of supply and demand are fairly simple to understand, and the root of piracy lies in that.

PRICE
Why is it that a high end, grade A, 2DVD set of a game like GTA4 can retail for 499 in India on release but Mass Effect 2 has to be 999 and Dragon Age has to be 1299? Obviously, someone is not pricing their products correctly, and is trying to make a killing at the customer's expense. I'll pay for my entertainment, but I'm not here to satisfy someone's greed.
Why does a 700Mb English Music CD still costs 400-600 bucks? The technology has not evolved over this time. I remember buying my first ever CD for exactly the same amount almost eight years ago. Since then, the prices of the media, recording equipment, playback equipment...ie the price of everything electronic has gone down. Am I expected to pay for the music I'm buying or for the private jets and expensive holidays of the record execs?
3500$ for Maya? 700$ for Photoshop? Seriously? If it wasn’t for piracy, these products wouldn’t even BE industry standards!
AVAILABILITY
Why is it that most (if not all) hollywood movies are released months after their American/European release in my town? Because it's a smaller market? Does that give the distributors the right to treat me as a second-class citizen? The average indian has to spend a higher percentage of his income on a movie ticket than an average US citizen. So why must I wait longer for the same product?
Have a look at the games available on piratebay ordered by seeders… how many of them can you find at your local PlanetM? Unless you’re in the metros, chances are that you’ll never play those games if you wait for originals. It’s been 4 months since Bioshock 2 was released. It’s still not available where I live.
DRM
Don’t get me wrong. I DON’T support piracy. But putting the blame on USERS of pirated software/music/films/games is, IMHO, moronic. And don’t blame the pirates either! Markets abhor a vacuum. If there is a gap between demand and supply, SOMEONE WILL FILL IT. Pirates are merely providing a service that the original creators are unable or unwilling to.
Personally, my conscience is clean even though I use pirated software. I try enough not to. I have bought my Windows7 and half my games. I started using Blender and Gimp when I found out about them, getting rid of my pirated Photoshop and Maya. I watched Avatar in 3D in an Imax. BUT… I also have downloaded mp3s, movies and some games. Anyone who calls me a thief for that is an idiot who sees the world in black and white and has the IQ of an egg. Or he’s on the MPAA/RIAA payroll.
Very well said. In fact I will rather pirate a movie than buy DRM-imbibed content for music and movies.
DRM is fine (IMO) if implemented well in games though. Games unlike movies have to make sales in PCs and consoles than theatres. Steam is one which I rather like than the likes of SecuROM,etc.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:24 AM ----------

In my opinion, what they fail to see is that by reducing costs, you are inviting more people to buy, and that should cover the development cost AND induce profits. Which is preferred? 3 sales of 15000/- each or 10-12 sales of 1500/- each in a day? Definitely the latter, as it generates popularity. :)
How about 1 sale of 15000 and 10,000 pirated copies? Even more popularity. ;)

^^
Yeah, but that wont convert into sales. Sales will increase if price is low, and a low price always guarantees popularity. Thats better than popularity through piracy :)

gagan007

Uhu, Not Gonna Happen!
I do not have enough knowledge on why CDs/DVDs are priced so high (although one argument I already gave in my previous reply)...but it is them to decide. You cannot quote a price on someone else's product and you cannot justify stealing someone else's property by stating that you do not think that product is suitably priced.

I feel sad to read such responses here as I believe most of the members here are avid Digit readers. In such a case Digit has failed miserably in atleast one of the fronts which they have maintained since starting i.e. a piracy free India.

Now, let me ask you, why do you need Photoshop/MS Office and Adobe Flash like softwares? Just to show-off I guess. Because if you have a business requirement you should not have any issues in purchasing as ultimately this cost will be added to the solution you are providing to your customers. A home user does not need such softwares IMO.

About movies and songs...they are not a matter of life and death. If you can't afford it do not purchase it...period. What is problem in waiting for a proper DVD release (as I said earlier about Moser Baer who are doing an excellent job in India) if you can't afford to go to theaters or you think it is overly priced?

I still fail to see how does piracy increases the popularity of a product. You purchase something because you need it not because it is popular.

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
I feel sad to read such responses here as I believe most of the members here are avid Digit readers. In such a case Digit has failed miserably in atleast one of the fronts which they have maintained since starting i.e. a piracy free India.
Yet Digit puts all the tutorials, tips articles,webinars on programs costing tens of thousands or worse several lakhs, which all people will conveniently pirate and so clumsily ignore any of the open source or free alternative. So I dismiss any kind of "effort" put up by Digit since the there's no effort. :|

---------- Post added at 09:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

I still fail to see how does piracy increases the popularity of a product. You purchase something because you need it not because it is popular.
Free marketing?

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
I donno y they r paid soo much...think akshay kumar get paid 7-8 crore for those crappy films, even they spend tens of crore on wasteful publicity..
And for all that we have to pay them more...not justified:evil:

Any film contain 1-2 songs which r bearable...remaining r just like jabardasti ka timepass:mrgreen:...they want Rs.200 for that:shock:

Let it be...we Indians r intelligent enough to justify where to spend how much...Nobody can take an extra penny from us:mrgreen:

+1 Well said. I buy original CD/DVD only if the movie/music/game is worth IMO. :twisted:

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

PRICE
AVAILABILITY
DRM

+1 Nothing to say.........just well worded.........totally agree..... :+1:

---------- Post added at 12:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:40 AM ----------

How about 1 sale of 15000 and 10,000 pirated copies? Even more popularity. ;)

:grin: :grin:

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 AM ----------

Free marketing?

yup :thumbs:

Last edited:
Top Bottom