Photo Projects - Practical Approach

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
cheat a little, use a hose to throw water on stuff, Spray plants to get the droplets, and break a pipe to simulate the flooded homes of most of india :))

or this week we can try out a topic that you are good at. That way we get to learn something from you

My post for the droplets pics

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3698/9328688142_a969f3158b_c.jpg
Raindrops by Amlan Mathur, on Flickr

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
@izzikio_rage: Awesome pic. Are those GEMS?

I wish I was that rich :)) ... they are just drops of water.

Edit: Oh, you meant the chocolate waale. Nope, had an assortment of fruits behind the drops

BTW, another tip. There are these Chinese balls (like very small beads) that you put in water and they grow in size. If you can find them then they give this same effect in a much much better way. Will try to find some and click

quagmire

Allllright !
^I meant chocolate waale gems only :lol:

Even I have tried capturing swelling bubble like beads. IQ was not impressive with my camera. Will try again.

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
The SX240 is a pretty good cam, things that helped me were

1. Shoot near a window (or a lamp), so that you can lower the ISO and probably use a small aperture f/8
2. Use the manual focus - take time here
3. use a tripod, or keep the camera on something
4. Use a dropper to put the drops, that will make them more round and hence better lenses

quagmire

Allllright !
izzikio_rage any tips for those beads.
Here's a pic I took a few months ago.

*farm4.staticflickr.com/3704/9345700200_7eb9f8ee6c_b.jpg

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
Exactly the thing. So get someone to hold one of them (preferably the transparent one) in front of them, then focus through the bead and you'll get an inverted image of the subject with the actual subject blurred out.

Or like the drops pic you can arrange them on a surface and shoot through them. Almost idea that works with water drops will work better with these

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Good going guys :thumbs:

Lm2k, Wonderful water drop shot :thumbs:

Amlan, You have bought a new camera!!! Congrats... :)

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
I have seen very less guys trying splash photography or drop on water...that I can do at home too...wanna try??

izzikio_rage

Technomancer
I've tried this out a few times in the past, Its amazingly hard to do, but lets give it a shot. Lets start this off as the official project for this week with some good tutorials and a few clicks of the setups too.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
Topic 5 - Splash photography

A splash photography is different then a droplet photography....in a splash photography you will need to drop an object on the water and capture the splash effect created .

Its a complete setup and nothing natural.

To set up -

1.select a nice clean background
2. Find a bright continuous light source like big cfl ...and use it as required
3. keep camera it in manual
4. keep aperture around 5.6-7.1 to get everything in focus
5. keep shutter speed high more than 1/500 to freeze the subject
6. keep the camera on tripod ...or you can also use handheld.

the bright continuous light is required coz in a room if u put shutter speed 1/640 and aperture f6.3 ...you will need lots of light.

plan beforehand what objects you are going to splash....a straberry , a coin , a banana or anything you want...

check this for complete process - *photo.tutsplus.com/tutorials/shooting/how-to-shoot-high-speed-splash-without-flash/

*farm5.static.flickr.com/4096/4930212734_a1017ecca8_z.jpg

*t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTDBpEVyubtUo8RpFisViDdQePZP0-GyK-EDsgBjRo0OVnjpiRK

*us.123rf.com/400wm/400/400/groke/groke0805/groke080500039/3056982-chili-splash.jpg

some shots need a clean container....see that its haze free and spotless....people use aquarium glass box for this purpose but its costly :)

Last edited:
OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
aah those shots from pros are beautiful....the problem I am facing is there is no big glass box where I can try these...I tried some today...the results are hazy due to plastic box ...I tried to remove them but it didnt look that good in big

*lh4.googleusercontent.com/-yjpBreIsRS8/UftyFOvtWSI/AAAAAAAAJNg/RH36J82iDHU/w987-h709-no/DSC_8879.jpg

what to do...any suggestions :(

Last edited:

nikku_hot123

In the zone
Guys i m fed up of continuous rain here. Unable to use camera. Is there any tips or projects for rainy season?? I m out of ideas:(

nac

Aspiring Novelist
Guys i m fed up of continuous rain here. Unable to use camera. Is there any tips or projects for rainy season?? I m out of ideas:(

Nikku, Here is the one for you MONSOON PHOTOGRAPHY

I am three projects behind... I don't when I will get opportunity to try monsoon photography. "Rain god" is so angry with us. No rain here... May be around October.

I will try the other two...

nikku_hot123

In the zone
@nikku y dont u try this project ....splash one...I am trying

Nikku, Here is the one for you MONSOON PHOTOGRAPHY

I am three projects behind... I don't when I will get opportunity to try monsoon photography. "Rain god" is so angry with us. No rain here... May be around October.

I will try the other two...

Thanks guys... I m gonna try ur suggestions this weekend.

OP
sujoyp

sujoyp

Grand Master
just keep aperture small like f8-f11 and click the shot...the rain drops will come in focus

Top Bottom