PC not starting after cleaning

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
I decided to do the annual physical cleanup of my PC today. Got a bit more zealous than usual and so removed HSF and Graphic card and cleaned them properly. I also removed the CMOS battery (my PC wasn't keeping any date/time info b/w restarts) and reinserted it properly.

Now after assembling it back, all components seem to be receiving power (all fans including HSF and Graphic card are running) but the PC is not starting up. The is no beep at all when the system is started and no display comes on. I've already checked the RAM using 3 individual sticks and still the problem persists. Also, the graphic card seems fine too since there is no display from the IGP either. Have I done something to the processor? The TIM seemed fine, perhaps just slightly less than it originally was. Please help.

bludash

Mark your Mark
Have you tried resitting the sata cables to the HDD or use a new sata cable if you have one or exchange the sata cable from your ODD. I had the same problem and this fixed the issue.
also check for the 24 motherboard power connector and the cpu connector try resitting them aswell.

Last edited:

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
If all connections are correct, leave the battery in mobo and short the required contacts to reset bios
Next remove all ram sticks
Blow air over the ram sockets or holders
Clean the gold plated contacts of ram with eraser and put one ram stick in and try to boot

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - post your pc config - make sure any pins of cpu or mobos cpu socket is not broken or bent .. re-mount the the cpu and if your mobo has omboard graphic port try using that with only 1 stick of ram without connecting hdd/odd.

btw, when you removed the cpu hsf and claned it did you apply a fresh layer of good TiM ?

OP
SlashDK

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Thanks for the replies. The vga cable is all right since monitor stops showing no input after its connected to pc. Also, even without an HDD, the pc should at least get to bios. I'll try blowing air and cleaning the ram sockets. As for the processor, I just cleaned the hsf and didn't touch the TIM. A little part of it may have gotten removed but its mostly there. I'm not sure about reseating the proccessor since i didn't touch it in the first place. And I've already shorted the cmos pins. My config is Athlon ii x4 635, gigabyte 880gm ud2h, 2*2 gb + 1*4 gb ddr3 1333mhz.

Gollum

Collector
well the pc should get atleast to bios, right...it wont get so hot right after bootup and shutdown due to thermal protection

which system board do you have. most boards have a way of telling a no post issue with the help of beeps. Ideally your PC should beep if the ram sticks are not plugged in at all. With no ram the unit will beep, provided you have connected the tiny system beeper/speaker.

If all is well, you rPC will beep or at least give an LED flsah code on the keyboard. If not then you have a lemon board in your PC.

bludash

Mark your Mark
well I would really recommend cleaning the ram and graphic card pins with an eraser and then cleaning the ram and the graphic card slots....also what type of display connector are you using if it's a VGA try checking the pins and make sure they are not bent....

kARTechnology

Sony " VA" "IO"
well I would really recommend cleaning the ram and graphic card pins with an eraser and then cleaning the ram and the graphic card slots....also what type of display connector are you using if it's a VGA try checking the pins and make sure they are not bent....

won't it make a short "beep" if it boots successfully.

Top Bottom