Overheating problems

mayurthemad01

Journeyman
yeah, same issue faced by me for H410R and vengeance .. had to change ram modules to hyperx.
Hmm, but isn't the h410r a low profile cooler ?
I guess that u have a good cabinet and decent amount of clearance, so how can u have issue ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hmm, but isn't the h410r a low profile cooler ?
I guess that u have a good cabinet and decent amount of clearance, so how can u have issue ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Vengeance has tall heat sink which just won't sit under H410R :D No issue about heatsink and cabinet though.

quicky008

Technomancer
I have an older gt 210 that's been overheating-its temps reach 60 c on idle-will changing its thermal paste make any difference?

Are generic chinese thermal pastes like HY 510 that are sold for Rs 200 or so on amazon any good?Are they suitable for application on vga cards or cpus?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have an older gt 210 that's been overheating-its temps reach 60 c on idle-will changing its thermal paste make any difference?

Are generic chinese thermal pastes like HY 510 that are sold for Rs 200 or so on amazon any good?Are they suitable for application on vga cards or cpus?
I don't think it is worth it for a card like GT210 not to mention you need expertise to do a task like this(it is more difficult compared to applying cpu paste).
@SaiyanGoku @omega44-xt

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
If you are looking for cheap chinese thermal pastes, get GD 900 7G syringe for about 100. Otherwise, GT 210 isn't worth the effort IMO.

quicky008

Technomancer
Yeah i read about gd 900 too but couldn't find it on amazon, i think its only available on aliexpress.com

Many youtubers recommend changing gpu's thermal paste when it starts to overheat, however its true that the process of doing so may not be quite as easy.

This gt 210 is really quite old and is passively cooled-i just wanted to experiment with it in order to familiarize myself with the procedure of changing gpu thermal paste which is something i had never done before.

quicky008

Technomancer
I have an old lga 775 pc with a core 2 duo cpu.

Today i replaced the older processor with a core 2 quad 9400 that i had lying around. Then i reinstalled the hsf after applying a small amount of themal paste.

The system now idles at around 44 C but upon load (such as while playing high bitrate 1080p videos at 50-60% cpu utilization), the temps go upto 68-73 c.

Is it ok to use this cpu like this?Is there any risk that the cpu or mobo may get damaged due to the high temps during load conditions? Acc to intel, the Tcase temp of this cpu is 71 C.

Previously when I had the c2d cpu, temps didn't exceed 65-67 C under load.

toshar

New to this forum
This gt 210 is really quite old and is passively cooled-i just wanted to experiment with it in order to familiarize myself with the procedure of changing gpu thermal paste which is something i had never done before.
IMO, go to any shop that repairs TVs, radio, amplifiers, sells remote hi remote and rca cables. They use thermal paste frequently on mosfets and linear regulators. A small syringe of thermal paste costs 10 rupees only whereas 30 grams boxes costs 30 rupees easily and would be enough for 50 processors. It would still be cheaper then amazon if I buy thermal paste and parcel it to you.
Just go to nearest electrical shop and buy it for much less price.
Put a very small drop (2mm x 2mm) of thermal paste in center of the GPU die, it will cover the whole processor when you place the heatsink over it.
Plonk the GPU in PC and stress it suing furmark and check the temperatures = should be normal no matter what.
If temp. is still not normal then take it out, remove the heatsink carefully and see gpu die if its actually fully covered with the paste. If not, clean the old paste, apply new paste again with more care while improving your mistakes, put the heatsink back, plonk the gpu, stress it and check it.
It temp. is still not good, then consider your GPU to be old and with the time they can adapt a tendency to run hotter with old capacitors and inductors. Buy a small fan from the same shop for ~30 ruppes, fix it with jugaadh on gpu and use it.
AT the end of the day, you need to cool the gpu. :)

The system now idles at around 44 C but upon load (such as while playing high bitrate 1080p videos at 50-60% cpu utilization), the temps go upto 68-73 c.
Being the same 775 socket but twice the faster then your c2d, If your C2Q is bit hotter then I feel it's okay.
Sir.
Again, as described above, all you can do is VISUALLY INSPECT if the processor is fully covered with the thermal paste or not OR if the 775 heatsink with plastic legs fully inserted in holes and fastened or not.
Remove your heatsink, see if thermal paste you applied there was enough or less (should be enough in most cases, thers hardly any space ebtween heatsink and processor). Remove old paste, clean the processor surface, apply new paste in a drop or X format, put the heatsink back, make sure all the clips are properly fastened inside their holes, boot the pc, throught a stress test.
If still temperature underfull stress floats around ~65 then its okay.
You actually can't do much with old gt210 and Core 2 chips. Only you can provide them are basic resources like power, air and thermal paste.

quicky008

Technomancer
Is there any cheap aftermarket cooler that could keep the temps lower? Presently i am using a generic frontech cooler instead of the stock intel cooler.

I have already cleaned the cpu and tried using 2 different thermal pastes-the generic Chinese paste as well as cooler masters MasterGel, but they didn't make much of a difference anyway.

Temps still go upto 69-73 C during load.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is it ok to use this cpu like this?Is there any risk that the cpu or mobo may get damaged due to the high temps during load conditions? Acc to intel, the Tcase temp of this cpu is 71 C.
Online comments suggest 75-80C is no issue & this processor will shut down only at around 90C.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO, go to any shop that repairs TVs, radio, amplifiers, sells remote hi remote and rca cables. They use thermal paste frequently on mosfets and linear regulators. A small syringe of thermal paste costs 10 rupees only whereas 30 grams boxes costs 30 rupees easily and would be enough for 50 processors. It would still be cheaper then amazon if I buy thermal paste and parcel it to you.
Just go to nearest electrical shop and buy it for much less price.
Alright for cheap processors but never do this for a good/ryzen processor. There is a reason you don't use cheap motor engine oil available at a roadside auto repair shop for a Mercedes. :)

quicky008

Technomancer
I bought a crucial bx500 120gb ssd today-it works fine but whenever i run the crucial disk executive utility to check its status it says the temperature of the drive is high ie 50'c.If left idle-it reduces to around 47 C.

Whats the safe operating temp for a SSD?Could the drive's lifespan be reduced if its run at 50 c frequently? Is there any reason to be concerned about this issue?(the ambient temp at my place today is around 32 C).

However whenever i touch the drive physically,i find its only very slightly warm-it doesnt feel anywhere close to 50C,which is baffling!

My another wd 1TB hdd which is also in this pc feels hotter to the touch as compared to this ssd,even though crystal disk info reports the hdd's temp as around 43C only.

Also crucial's utility recommends turning on AHCI mode in bios-does anyone know whats AHCI and is it safe to turn on?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I bought a crucial bx500 120gb ssd today-it works fine but whenever i run the crucial disk executive utility to check its status it says the temperature of the drive is high ie 50'c.If left idle-it reduces to around 47 C.

Whats the safe operating temp for a SSD?Could the drive's lifespan be reduced if its run at 50 c frequently? Is there any reason to be concerned about this issue?(the ambient temp at my place today is around 32 C).

However whenever i touch the drive physically,i find its only very slightly warm-it doesnt feel anywhere close to 50C,which is baffling!

My another wd 1TB hdd which is also in this pc feels hotter to the touch as compared to this ssd,even though crystal disk info reports the hdd's temp as around 43C only.

Also crucial's utility recommends turning on AHCI mode in bios-does anyone know whats AHCI and is it safe to turn on?
Operating temps for a ssd is 0-70C so anything till 60C is not even worth noticing. In fact NVMe ssd usually runs at 50-60C & under load the bad models(adata sx6000) can reach 80C easily at which point they start thermal throttling just like processor. AHCI mode is newer & recommended mode for sata devices but in beginning it has some compatibility issues so it was not turned on by default. Do note that enabling ahci in uefi bios after you have installed windows will make the system unbootable unless you do it properly.
*www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/enable-ahci-after-win-10-installation.html

quicky008

Technomancer
this is an older g41 mobo with a legacy bios-i dont even know whether the AHCI option exists in it or not.

so for now i suppose i will not turn it on and let it remain at the default settings only.

i was thinking my ssd might be defective as it was reporting a temp of 50 C-but now it seems this is perfectly normal.Thanks for the info!

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think G41 chipset got ahci feature. Latest mobos comes with ahci as default so no issues there.

No problem :) just keep ~10% of available space on ssd free(for 120gb that's ~10% of 112gb so ~11gb free) for optimal performance.

quicky008

Technomancer
Acc. To the official specs, the endurance rating of the drive is 40 "TBW" .

What does that mean? Does it imply the drive will start failing once it has exceeded reading/writing 40 tb of data?

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Acc. To the official specs, the endurance rating of the drive is 40 "TBW" .

What does that mean? Does it imply the drive will start failing once it has exceeded reading/writing 40 tb of data?
TBW means Tera Bytes Written so only writing 40TB counts not reading & a typical user will never cross this limit. I am using a similar ssd with 30TBW limit & in 4 years of usage I have been able to write around 7TB of data. Unless you are downloading GBs of torrents everyday or moving tens of GBs of data everyday it is not possible to cross TBW limit & even after crossing TBW it is not guaranteed that your ssd will fail & it may be able to last a write of few TBs more.

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Anyone has experience with lenovo y50-70 overheating temp goes >95 C during gaming Done all changed thermal paste,opened and cleaned the laptop still.

Top Bottom