Overheating problems

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
With speedfan it was showing above 80 and with rivatuner showing as 72c...

To know the perfect GPU temp use GPU-Z. Now see which one ( Riva or speedfan ) shows you the temp same as GPU-Z. Which one will show you the
temp as GPU-Z that should be the correct one.

bippukt

In the zone
How much will a cabinet with good air flow, enough space for 2-3 HDDs and a 10.5 inch gfx card and ordinary/bad PSU (already have a CM 600W) cost?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much will a cabinet with good air flow, enough space for 2-3 HDDs and a 10.5 inch gfx card and ordinary/bad PSU (already have a CM 600W) cost?

What's your budget. There are several options :

Rs. 1.1K - Zebronics Bijli ( I'm using it good for 2HHDs )

Rs. 2K - CM Elite 330 ( It's also good for HDDs )

Rs. 4.4K - CM 690 ( Highly Recommended )

bippukt

In the zone
Not really decided the budget, but I would prefer a cheaper one - I don't think the following will require any special arrangements for cooling:

-Intel Quad Core or i5 (when they come out) w/o overclocking
-4 GB DDR3 RAM
-GTS 250 512 MB (might even be HD4870)
-2 SATA HDDs plus 1 new HDD that I might get

PSU is CM Extreme Power Duo 600W.

Cheaper is my preference - best if it doesn't exceed 1.5k, but could be stretched to 2k if the alternative is much much better.

g4meboy

Right off the assembly line
Hey sorry guys am new to this forum....
could somebody tell me how can i post new threads:cry::cry:
every time i hit that link it shows that i cannot access that page due to some reasons.. please if smbdy can help me ur the boss...

cheers and e-peace:smile:

darknessends

Hello guys,

I came up with a issue somedays ago and people advised me to get a thermal paste and attach the FAN to processor. It has given a little effect.

Please read the whole story, the temp. are shooting highlyy.

I had a fine working Pentium-D930-3.0Ghz-65nm-SL94R processor. It was fine with Intel 945GNT motherboard, working happily. The some days ago it got a fault and the motherboard was unable to work. I decided to change the motherboard and so the RAM which was previously 1GB 533Mhz. I tried my processor on DG41RQ but it did not work. The I tried it with DG31PR and it worked. I got 4GB RAM 667 Mhz in 2 x 2 Dual Channel. The fan is the same which came with processor originally.

Now CPU is overheating. The temperature now is 71C using internet and firefox. SpeedFan shows upto 80 when i begin serious work and if I start making rar of some big file it goes increasing to 89-90-91-92-93 and i have to stop the process.

However the CPU continues to work on 2.999- 3.000 Ghz. But the temp comes boiling now.

I contacted INTEL guys and they told me that Pentium-D is not the same as the current Pentium Dual Core series. So the board is incompatible with this processor. I told them why did it accepted it ? they said it is just happening, but it will void my warranty and it may hurt both motherboard and itsself.

Now I am confused. I seriously don't know if I should get a powerful FAN like OCZ Vendetta 2 or some professional liquid like OCZ Freeze. Even if I get I ll pay nearly 25-30% price of buying a new Quad. So that is not a wise decision if it doesnt works I ll have to a buy a new processor in that case. I am pretty heavy at working on computer. My PC runs like 10-12 hours continously with processing that usually keeps CPU running 20-30 mins sometimes. Now because of this heating issue I am not able to use the CPU they way I want, it is just a internet terminal to me now.

I need to have some serious advice. Since if i keep running the CPU it may get off due to heating and hurt both motherboard and itsself. The INTEL guys said that the processor will get off itsself around 90-100, please tell me what actually happens. How much it is safe if i keep running this and start doing heavy work and overload it. What is your advice, I have the following options.

(i) Keep it like this, It won't be of much harm.
(ii) Buy a professional heavy CPU cooler and liquid.
(iii) Buy a quad and replace the processor only.
(iv) Buy a core2duo with graphics such as 9800GT / HD4870 ( better than quad alone for performance ).

Or you suggest something on your own guys. My work is in light graphics processing and light 3d modelling, good web development and programming using ASP.net and many other languages. Manytimes we hang in developing code that's why the CPU should not have heat issues as programming many times result in heavy usage of CPU. And we neeed to do this to get the best out of programs.

Please help, I have to make a decision soon. Since I am frozen because of PC problem.

Krow

Crowman
Option 4 is the most sensible one. If you have a budget in mind, let us know. A Pentium D is a very old processor. You should consider upgrading at least to a core 2 duo.

darknessends

hey, the budget is around 10000- 12000 for either a processor or both graphics and processor. And i dnt wish to add a very heavy fan. But if it is neccessary I ll prefer it gets absorbed in the same.

I also want to know what may happen to CPU running at 90-95C or more. And shouldnt it had been throttled, to my surprise it still works at 3.0 Ghz at that temp.

Whats the catch guys ?
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
And please send a PM to me with your messenger id, if any, i would really want to chat about..... the entire situation.

Last edited:

Krow

Crowman
Look, the CPU won't be throttled AFAIK, it will just fry up and die as it is meant to work at a certain rate till it dies (its a machine)! If it keeps on running at that temp, I dont think it will last very long.

For upto 12k, get Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 6k OR E7400 @ 5.5k.
Use the remaining for a GPU like Sapphire HD 4850 512MB @ 6.5k.
IMO if you can raise your budget a little more, you should get the Palit GTS250 512MB as it takes some load off the CPU when processing video, etc.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
darknessends:
Solve your CPU heat issue and solve it NOW.

Your processor is running way to high. Even with some applications it should not straight away 'hit' 90C+. The Intel guys are BSing..Yes..your CPU will turn off, but there is a chance..one day the cut off switch might not kick in and you burn your CPU and short your board.

1. Get a good after market cooler --- mount it properly. (Immediate fix) OR
2. Get a C2D BUT again get a after market cooler cause the stock ones are crap. (If you want an upgrade and a fix to your solution)
3. No use to go for water cooling and all that jazz.

Are you sure the HSF is mounted correctly. Can you see the pushpins on the reverse side of the motherboard..???

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Am running my E7400 at around 2.99 Ghz with a low v-Core of 1.1V. (Approximate cannot remember the exact voltage). So it is a very very mild OC. Though I will OC it greater down the line. So busy with office, hardly get time to sit and OC the system.

Also the RAM is operating EPP at 1066Mhz -- 5-5-5-15. So the FSB is slightly quickened.

It idles at around 33C and loads to 41C. Load is being simulated using Prime 95 (2 worker threads for around 2 hours).

With the stock cooler I was hitting around 55C for idle and almost 95C+ during load for the same conditions. Because:

1. Intel Stock coolers are bad.
2. The default company thermal paste was bad.

Basically I went for the Hyper 212 cause I was really not satisfied with the Intel stock cooler, and planned to OC. If at idle I was getting such high temperatues, during OC I would have fried my chip.

I'm running my e5200 @ 3.2Ghz with 1.26V ( vcore under load ).

With Hyper 212 - Idle temp is around 40C/44C ( core0/core1 ) & load temp is 56C/58C ( core0/core1 ). But the cpu base temp is 68C under load & 51C under idle. ( Load temp tested by running orthos for 1 hour )

With Stock HSF I was getting the same 40C/44C ( core0/coe1 ) & base temp 54C under idle & was getting 61C/63C & base temp was reaching 75C under load by running orthos for only 3 mins!

Ambient temp is 33C.

BTw, I have not used the backplate provided with the cooler but I had only used those nuts & rubber pads supplied with the cooler ( as shown in many review sites ) & I have not used the thermal paste ccomes with the HSF. I've used my trusted CM nano fusion.

But before put it on test after installing every thing there was a powercut of about 3Hrs. So I think the paste may be not spread correctly & so I'm getting a little higher temp.

Tell me if the temp I'm getting is alright ? Or I should reinstall the Hyper 212 ?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I'm running my e5200 @ 3.2Ghz with 1.26V ( vcore under load ).

With Hyper 212 - Idle temp is around 40C/44C ( core0/core1 ) & load temp is 56C/58C ( core0/core1 ). But the cpu base temp is 68C under load & 51C under idle. ( Load temp tested by running orthos for 1 hour )

With Stock HSF I was getting the same 40C/44C ( core0/coe1 ) & base temp 54C under idle & was getting 61C/63C & base temp was reaching 75C under load by running orthos for only 3 mins!

Ambient temp is 33C.

BTw, I have not used the backplate provided with the cooler but I had only used those nuts & rubber pads supplied with the cooler ( as shown in many review sites ) & I have not used the thermal paste ccomes with the HSF. I've used my trusted CM nano fusion.

But before put it on test after installing every thing there was a powercut of about 3Hrs. So I think the paste may be not spread correctly & so I'm getting a little higher temp.

Tell me if the temp I'm getting is alright ? Or I should reinstall the Hyper 212 ?

This is your processor.

Now..

1. Were you getting the same temperatures with the OC using stock HSF..?
2. I think your Hyper 212 is working correct. Before within three minutes you were hitting 75C, now after an hour you reach 58C using Orthos.
3. Its all right if you did not use the back plate. Even I did not use it. Will hardly make a difference. Though the back side nuts should be really secure and tight.
4. CM Fusion is fine. It does not have a settle in period. Though how did you spread it on the CPU..?? Most people suggest to put a few drops. But I do not believe in that, cause at times the pressure is not applied correctly (during HSF mount), and it will not spread. If you can -- take a old credit card, or cover your finger with a plastic bag and spread a thin even layer over the CPU.
5. How many fans you have on the Hyper 212. I just have one --- Pull.
6. How is your cabinet ventilation and cooling system -- fans, ducts, spacing, cable management.
7. Could you run it for Prime 95 -- 2 worker threads, and post a screen shot. Keep TJmax = 100.

Overall you seem to be in the safe limit for temperatures, you v-Core is pushing extra into the chips for the OC...so temperatures are up. But do 1---7 just to be sure and have a safe and optimized system.

Let us know..!

damngoodman999

damnbadman666
@ asigh

Whats the accurate temperature of ur E7400 ?? can u tell ?? in IDLE & LOAD

u told that u were getting 80c on Load with Stock cooler , then how HYPER 212 reduced 40 deg ??? from 80c ??

Top Bottom