Overheating problems

heartripple

In the zone
Whatever it may be, always try to keep the CPU temp. at or below 60C. Mine E4300 @ 3.4GHz barely reaches 58c while gaming, although with ORTHOS running for 30 mins. the temps does reach around 62-63C . I use Enzotech Ultra-X cpu cooler instead of the stock cooling.

tell me more about that cpu cooler

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
@ketalpatel
Here you go *www.enzotechnology.com/extreme_x.htm

It's review
*www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3718&Itemid=40

*www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2082

there are more, reviews just google.

heartripple

In the zone
@ketalpatel
Here you go *www.enzotechnology.com/extreme_x.htm

It's review
*www.bcchardware.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3718&Itemid=40

*www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2082

there are more, reviews just google.

i think 835 gm is too heavy for my motherboard to hold it properly
correct me if i m wrong

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I know its heavy, but with supplied accessories and proper installation there will be no problem. Moreover the installation is a breeze and I have been using it with XFX 650i Ultra for a year or so without any problem.
If you are concerned about weight then get yourself TR-120 extreme (790g). As you can see most highend cooler are heavy.

darklord

Cyborg Agent
You can check out the TR Ultima 90 also, very nice cooler, lighter than TRUE, very efficient and small in size.

J

joy.das.jd

I have a P4 processor (Intel P4 515) on my HP pavilion a815i. There are 2 hard disks, 3 RAMs (256+256+512) and a DVD writer (SONY DRU-190A). My problem is that recently my CPU has started to run very hot. Sometimes the temperature reaches even 88 C. Even the idle temperature is around 65C.I am using a coolermaster heatsink for the cpu. I cannot make out the model number and the SMPS make is BESTEC (250W).

Earlier the temperature would reach a max of 60. But now it hovers around 75. I opened my cabinet and cleaned all the dust and grime of my computer but still no effect. Now my question is this due to the thermal paste drying up or a faulty SMPS ,as Speedfan gives the following results on the voltages :

+5V : 4.95 V
Vcpu : 2.16 V
Vcc : 3.28 V
+5V : 4.95 V
+12V : 11.80 V
+3V : 3.38 V
Vbat : 0.00 V

Please help me find the reason for cpu running so hot. Also what should i do get the fan run silently as before. By the way one more question. Can i attach another hard drive on my PC?
:confused::confused::confused:

*img88.imageshack.us/img88/7420/clipboard01di6.th.jpg

Sorry for reposting it here as well as in a separate thread . But i need urgent help.......

One more thing how can i determine whether my SMPS is working correctly or not cause the front power light has also started to blink at times. Or might also be my motherboard. But how do i determine if they are working perfectly or not?:confused::confused::confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
@joy
Man first lower your Vcore.......its very high. Also do some cleaning and reseat the HSF with a new layer of quality thermal paste. But after seeing that you have P4.....those thing do run hot.
I had one P4 3.0GHz HT and it idled @ 58c with loads of 75c. Well I do miss those hot P4 days :D

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
dont worry about p4 heating . thats actually fine. p4 doesnt have heatspreader and produces lots of heat due to the size. dont worry bout it

darklord

Cyborg Agent
dont worry about p4 heating . thats actually fine. p4 doesnt have heatspreader and produces lots of heat due to the size. dont worry bout it

P4 doesnt have Heatspreader ? Which P4 came without a heatspreader ? I dont remember any :confused:

@ joy.das.jd
Relax, i am sure Speedfan is reporting the vcore incorrectly.Also i see you have HP branded machine so probably you dont even have the option of adjusting voltages in the BIOS.
The reason i say this is because had it been 2V real vcore then your chip would have died till now,which isnt the case, so relax.The way i see it, its just a case of wrong readings by Speedfan.
Download latest CPU-Z from www.cpuid.com and check with it, i am sure it will report the correct vcore.

J

joy.das.jd

Well i have tried EVEREST ULTIMATE EDITION and CPUZ too. But all give the same result about high Vcore. I tried to search for a BIOS update at the ASUS site but the motherboard is not even listed there.
So i have no idea what to do. Moreover as it is a HP branded computer so i can not change anything in BIOS. So no luck out there ; I guess i will HAVE TO hear the fan noise.
:(:(:(

Anyway guys thanks for all the trouble. Well i will be replacing the motherboard next week so i think this problem will no longer pester me...

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
Well I also started to have an overheating problem, I read another thread and found that Orthos is a good CPU Stress tester and I downloaded and saw my processor having fun with load of two threads I ran it for almost 45mins and my CPU temperature reached at a MAX of 59 C, I was very happy but my PC didnt want me to look happy so the next day when i swiched on my pc there were sound of a wind in my PC cabinet it was my CPU fan, Well i was quite surprised thinking that Orthos might have still have some affect on my PC. But I don't know that from then on my CPU fan is making quite a loud noise cooling my CPU which runs at 54-55 C at idle and 60-62 C at optimal load and my CPU fan Is running at almost top speed i.e. 4200RPM cooling the beast a little down. I fiddled with my BIOS and enable two options viz. Intel Speedstep Technology which underclocked my CPU at idle times and CPU-Q Fan control to enable and setting it to optimal option.
The sounds gone but the temperature is up 60 C at idle and 70 C at load the CPU fans is running at a silent 1300RPM. I again ran orthos tries to do what i did earlier (my bad) and stressed the CPU the fan speeded up to a quite 2500RPM at also the temperature reached a max of 80-85 C and my PC started to hang. I stopped orthos (the culprit) and again the CPU fan slowed down and temperature reached to a High of 60 C.
Here is my voltages and everything:

*img216.imageshack.us/img216/9498/cpuzjh5.th.jpg

My configuration is :
Processor : Pentium D 925 3.00Ghz
Mobo: ASUS P5GZ-MX Intel 945 chipset
HardDisk : Seagate Barracuda 160GB 7200RPM
Graphic Card : GeForce 7300LE 256 MB
RAM : 2 x 1GB Kingston at 667Mhz

Please tell me what i can do to be happy again.
THX

and also one thing I have a big 120mm fan for Rear airflow exit and a stock cooler

Last edited:

spikygv

Wise Old Owl
u may apply some thermal paste . but for pentium D , 60C on load is not too high. these are hot proccys unlike the c2d's .. orthos is NOT the culprit . i think ur CPU-Q Fan control is the culprit . even my p4 cpu fan makes a lot of noise at load. but temp stays at 51C , max i've seen is 54C .but yes , the fan is way too noisy ..

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
Well Thx for the concern I have purchased my PC just 6 mths back so can the thermal paste be dried or gone?
well I opened my cabined and cleaned a the whole jungle full of dust and now after disabling my CPU-Q fan control from the BIOS now the temperature hovers around 45 C at idle and yes the stock fan is quite noisy running at 4000RPM . Well thank you i am almost happy but tell me which CPU cooler should I buy which is silent, efficient and also the most Important thing CHEAP!!!!!!
Thx

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
Nothing but the best! U know even the good quality coolers comes for somewhat 2K adding 400-500/- more u get new and better performing processor!
If not E2160 than atleast E2140!

kanu2k7

Livin my Dreams
Thx!!!
may be ill try to buy the new processor.
But tell me is E2160 perfomance at stock higher than Pentium D 3Ghz.

Top Bottom