Open Source Media Player for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Re: Open Source Media Players vs Closed Source : The Final Test

Yeah hitboxx, hoping for stable release soon :) Has many quirks for me right now :(

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

Ubuntu:
Exaile for audio

MPlayer for video (Totem works well too)

XP:
Foobar 2000 for audio

JetAudio 7 for video (and for rest KMplayer)

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

I've got my Answer : Exails .

It's the best OS Media Player i've seen , even Amarok is a bit crowded , Exaile Interface is , as i might say "Perfect" .

The battle for Open Source Video Player(with Full-Screen GUI) rages on :p

vish786

"The Gentleman"

but of all what is this thread doing in Fight club ?

Edit: wonders abt actual intentions.

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

but of all what is this thread doing in Fight club ?

Edit: wonders abt actual intentions.
pr@k@ is in shameful misery for 2 days . It's the reason why this thread hasn't been turned into fight club material .

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Yeah...Missing the fat cat a lot..:D

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member

*img112.imageshack.us/img112/2061/346catticked2rb7.jpg

Thanx charan for making this
good skills...and attitude.
keep it up:rolleyes:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............

*img112.imageshack.us/img112/2061/346catticked2rb7.jpg

Thanx charan for making this
You provoke people this way, then people complain that I ban you. I won't do anything directly but am going to report this post. Let the admins handle it.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified

Mehul, don't compare. Even Linux users provoke us Windows & Mac users with there lies & DRM DRM DRM DRM,.....if you find this provocative then we also find that provocative. Would u plz find a solution to his problem too...

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!

I use Exaile and Amarok. It satisfies all the needs of what I would probably use in WMP or any other player for that matter. As for the thread ....

Open Source Media Players vs Closed Source : The Final Test
Yay another one of these. Its more than obvious why the thread was started. As far as this thread is concerned it highly depicts on the maturity of certain posters here.

By the way gx if the cat was in reference to the avatar he has, then definitely your Professor icon from the PowerPuff girls degrades you more.

To get my point across clearer.

*img209.imageshack.us/img209/5909/horselo7.th.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

Actually i was expecting some members to come up and start fighting(as usual) so i created thread in Fight Club with the above title in advance.

But it seems no one started flames so everything fine :)

mediator

Technomancer

@Zeeshan : The thread title is very misleading! U've been told of so many "open source media players" for KDE and then for Gnome. Your conclusions

zeeshan said:
"It's sad to say that GNU/Linux , which is a contender in the Desktop arena does not have a single respectable Audio Player compared to the likes of WMP 11 or iTunes."

"Yes i know about Amarok but it is KDE only and i'm on Ubuntu"

" BTW , Amarok is the only player in OS World which does not have the 'seek bar' problem."

These conclusions of urs do not make sense!

If u knew about amarok, then u shud have opted for KUbuntu. If u wanted one for Ubuntu, then u shud have searched or posted in OSS section.

If today I get Vista home, how wud u conclude if I start whining that VISTA HOME BASIC doesn't have necessary networking features, servers and if "closed source world of VISTA is totally pathetic/useless"?

How r the terms closed or open relevant here? Don't u think its better be "Gnome" or "Kde specific" if u want one for either?

Besides I never had that "seek bar" problem save in VLC and "always" had in WMP/WInamp/Media Player classic on Windows when playing movies. WMP literally hangs, while winamp takes ages! Try it on Xine/Mplayer/Kaffiene and it so real time!

Try to make some meaning of what u r posting. Its either ur quality of posts or technical terminology that is deteriorating at a fast pace! :oops:

And about ur problem, I think closed source media players are no better according to the definition that u gave to the thread!!

gx said:
Mehul, don't compare. Even Linux users provoke us Windows & Mac users with there lies & DRM DRM DRM DRM,.....if you find this provocative then we also find that provocative. Would u plz find a solution to his problem too...
DRM DRM DRM and the larvae inside the closed source box, MS jokes and puny allegations towards OSS etc can all make it FIGHT CLUB, but what has the term "fat cat" and that childish pic anything to do here? :neutral:

And I hope the "provocations" aren't taking so much toll on the head of Win Fanboys, that they have lost the ability to comprehend what "provocation" means. Now what else can @praka say, when windows updates itself without users knowledge even after turning off autoupdate or if an original Xp system gets deactivated after WGA check?? "Try again"?? User-friendly or User-headache?

@Zeeshan : Please understand what "Fight Club" is! Its not a place to start with ur ignorance, else u can place it in chit-chat! :)

zeeshan said:
But it seems no one started flames so everything fine
I'm quite free/bored rite now, but don't expect flames from meh! ;)

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

@mediator

Mate please read the whole thread , i knew About Amarok but as GNOME is bundled with most major distros now by default , so i wanted one which worked on GNOME . Also , you quoted my first posted , Read the one about Exaile .

As for the 'Seek Bar' problem well i've experienced it on VLC/Totem/Rhythmbox
but never on WMP(10,11)/Amarok/Exaile .

I'm quite free/bored rite now, but don't expect flames from meh! ;)
Noow you're talking !

BTW: Im' only doing an Objective Comparison of Media Players and no fanboyism , many members would agree that they have experienced the 'Seek Bar' Problem on VLC/Totem and whereas Amarok/Exaile work perfectly fine . So try not to be a Fanboy and look at things the right way .

mediator

Technomancer

As for the 'Seek Bar' problem well i've experienced it on VLC/Totem/Rhythmbox
but never on WMP(10,11)/Amarok/Exaile .
Thats a silly old windows fight => "You experienced a hang, but I did not"!! If u wanna continue on that basis, then I call for a quit n request u to grow up!!

Mate please read the whole thread , i knew About Amarok but as GNOME is bundled with most major distros now by default , so i wanted one which worked on GNOME . Also , you quoted my first posted , Read the one about Exaile .
Don't u think it wud have been wise to put a thread title accordingly??

"I knew about servers, IIS, Aero etc. But I was wondering if its bundled with VISTA HOME BASIC"....Lets start a FIGHT CLUB THREAD coz I'm confused and haven't done my homework??

BTW: Im' only doing an Objective Comparison of Media Players and no fanboyism , many members would agree that they have experienced the 'Seek Bar' Problem on VLC/Totem and whereas Amarok/Exaile work perfectly fine . So try not to be a Fanboy and look at things the right way .
Yep, many wud have agreed with @praka too. Its time win-fanboys start seeing it the right way and put some senses so as to start a meaningful thread in the prestigious FIGHt CLUB, if and only if they know what they r talking about!!

I'm still wondering why u started this thread when u knew bt amarok? U r not child either that by now, u still have no clue in which section, which thread to start and for what purpose!!

And yes, please make me see things 'the right way'! Neways did u even read the link I marked?? Try not to be a fanboy!! Stay sharp, B# ! :oops:

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

Thats a silly old windows fight => "You experienced a hang, but I did not"!! If u wanna continue on that basis, then I call for a quit n request u to grow up!!
I never said that these players hanged , did I ?

I only said that that it was a Genuine User-Interface implementation problem in the Applications and not a performance problem .

I'm still wondering why u started this thread when u knew bt amarok? U r not child either that by now, u still have no clue in which section, which thread to start and for what purpose!
This thread might not currently be fit for the Fight-Club but it will be once we're done with each other.!

You're only acting fanboyish , i only started a side-by side comparison and i knew that people like you would jump in without even reading the whole thread and posting fanboyish remarks , i guess i was right !

mediator

Technomancer

I never said that these players hanged , did I ?
U don't understand examples well, do u?

I only said that that it was a Genuine User-Interface implementation problem in the Applications and not a performance problem .
Well, then I guess the whole family of windows* has some "Genuine User-Interface implementation problem" that gives users a headache.

What u have experienced, isn't experienced by me save on VLC and in plenty on windows media players like I said and by some punk in the link I provided and may be by many others across the globe!

This thread might not currently be fit for the Fight-Club but it will be once we're done with each other !
This thread is stewpid & illogical! ONce we r done with each other, it might be fit for chit-chat as I'm sure many others r laughing at the logic behind ur reasoning and may be on the title of the thread too mismatching the content of it!!

You shud have posted it in OSS section. I request u to read again what each section of this forum stands for and understand its meaning clearly and may be enlighten us then in ur own words, not less than 150, of what u understood by it!

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

Frankly I'd say Zeeshan did the correct thing. Its not about Win vs. Lin here. Many mebbe fanboys of amaroK, some exaile, some VLC etc. Now as everyone knows the OSS would surely be compared with closed source ones and the "ever-popular and predictable" fight would've started!

Fortunately Zeeshan was wrong this time and its peaceful. So instead of creating a din over this its better if we ask the mods to move it to the appropriate section.

Regarding the seek issue... Thats how its implemented in GTK. You can't actually call it a flaw based on how Windows works. Just coz it works so in Windows doesn't mean it should work the same in GTK. So its not a "Genuine User-Interface implementation problem". Thats a completely bad way to put things and only leads to provocation and flames.

But I, with Zeeshan, prefer the Windows way. Exaile doesn't use the range widget for seeking. Instead it uses the Progress bar and hence works the Windows way.

Nothing wrong with what Zeeshan did or said and nothing wrong what mediator pointed out.

Peace guys.... :)

Zeeshan, you may also wanna try songbird.

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

Regarding the seek issue... Thats how its implemented in GTK. You can't actually call it a flaw based on how Windows works. Just coz it works so in Windows doesn't mean it should work the same in GTK. So its not a "Genuine User-Interface implementation problem". Thats a completely bad way to put things and only leads to provocation and flames.
Actualy Windows Too doesn't provide a Fluid SeekBar , windows developers have to implement a custom Seekbar for multimedia apps .

Both win n GTK scrollbars function exactly the same . But for Multimedia Application developers have to implement custom ones .

So the "Genuine User-Iterface Implementation Problem" was directed towards the Developers of OSS Players(VLC/Totem) not GTK :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom