Open Source Media Player for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Well guys i recently installed Ubuntu 7.10 onto my Hard Disk and i am in need of a Good Audio Player for Linux .

I have Already tried Rhythmbox and Totem , the sound quality in both of them is poor and gets distorted when you increase the Volume .

Also the biggest problem i've seen with these Media players is that Their 'seek bar' does not function smoothly .

Suppose i have to jump to a specific portion of the song , say at 50% position when i click the middle of the 'seek bar' it does not jump exactly to the 50% mark , instead it moves in big steps of 5 or 10 and does not exactly gets where i clicked .

On Windows , i use Windows Media Player 11 and i'm looking for a player which can provide good audio quality if not good Library Management Features .

It's sad to say that GNU/Linux , which is a contender in the Desktop arena does not have a single respectable Audio Player compared to the likes of WMP 11 or iTunes.

*farm3.static.flickr.com/2291/2212267642_188d0ba192.jpg

PS: I'm not comparing VLC because it has the same 'seek bar' problem and besides it has absolutely no Library Management System , although sound quality is good .

casanova

The Frozen Nova
Re: Open Source Media Players vs Closed Source : The Final Test

Amarok is good. But, I wonder why is this in Fight Club section. Did you mean any offense Zeeshan. ;)

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

try Amarok , It has good library managment. But you may need to install the kdelibs.

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

try Amarok , It has good library managment. But you may need to install the kdelibs.
Yes i know about Amarok but it is KDE only and i'm on Ubuntu .

Although i can install the KDE Libraries but this will unnecessarily bloat my system and the Download size for all the KDE Libraries + Dependencies is too much .

Any good player for GTK ?

BTW , Amarok is the only player in OS World which does not have the 'seek bar' problem.

Amarok is good. But, I wonder why is this in Fight Club section. Did you mean any offense Zeeshan. ;)
Knowing that a certain member will jump into this thread and start flame wars , i started it in Fight Club .

Xine ftw...
VLC is another must have.
MEncoder/MPlayer just for last ditch use.
kill totem.
Kaffine rocks.

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

Mate i'm looking for a GTK Media player with Library Management Features , neither of the above provide this .

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

Tried Exaile?

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

Thnx for Exaile , am gonna install it When boot into Ubuntu .

BTW , does exaile support all the propreitary codecs which are installed when you select to install "Ubuntu Restricted Extras"

Also , hoping that Exaile does not have the 'seek bar' problem that other players(except Amarok) suffer from.

Exaile's Interface looks very clean and usable , impressive .

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

Yes, if you haf all the codecs exaile will play everything fine. You can also install Plugins. Lotsa useful plugins, shoutcase, streamripper, IM sync etc.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

There's so many, Exaile, Amarok, Muine, Banshee, Listen, Songbird, Rhythmbox, Gtkpod....

Seek bar problem..?! Who says its a problem? Please unlearn Windows before you doubt things in Linux, it isn't an alternative to Windows.

EDIT: Started the post early but submitted late.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!

Seek bar problem..?! Who says its a problem? Please unlearn Windows before you doubt things in Linux, it isn't an alternative to Windows.
While I agree that things in Windows/Linux are not same at least in this respect I prefer the Windows method, personal opinion of corz.

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

While I agree that things in Windows/Linux are not same at least in this respect I prefer the Windows method, personal opinion of corz.
Yup .

@hitboxx
The Seek bar is the best method to move when playing a Movie or Song .

Although i now use VLC Keyboard shortcuts while watching movies , i prefer to use the SeekBar while playing songs coz it's so deceptively simple and useful.

I'm saying is that the Seek Bar implementation in VLC/Totem/Rhythmbox is not up to the mark .

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"

Yes, it supports all the codecs from ubuntu-restricted-extras. And im not too sure about the seekbar problem, but i guess exaile also has it :( Though i dont really think its a major issue (IMHO ofcourse, maybe a big issue for you!) :)

OP
Zeeshan Quireshi

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !

Yes, it supports all the codecs from ubuntu-restricted-extras. And im not too sure about the seekbar problem, but i guess exaile also has it :( Though i dont really think its a major issue (IMHO ofcourse, maybe a big issue for you!) :)
Lolz yeah coz i constantly switch to different parts of a song or only want to listen to the chorus of the song , then i just click on the Seekbar and it gets there .

It Works Fine in WMP/Amarok and the pointer moves exactly where i cliked . But in VLC there's a major error of 5-10 Seconds and that gets really irritating(specially while long programming sessions , coz then i have to move back and forward using the keyboard shortcuts to get to the exact location)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief

I think its a GTK issue rather than code's? Scroll bars have always been only increment-able by a constant and not fluidly I think?

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero

Ok I need to reassess something, apparently Songbird pwnz all irrespective of platform, yes I mean WMP and iTunes. Just tried the pre-developer version now, it rocks.

*i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb178/ferrous_cranus/Screenshot-29.png

New

Padawan

Open Source Media Players can't come near Closed Source in terms of futures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom