Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
[h=1]Activation in Windows 10[/h] [h=2]Applies to Windows 10[/h]
Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and hasn’t been used on more devices than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. Depending on how you got your copy of Windows 10, activation will use either a digital entitlement or a 25-character product key.
Digital entitlement is a new method of activation in Windows 10 that doesn't require you to enter a product key.
How you got Windows 10
Activation method
You upgraded to Windows 10 for free from an eligible device running a genuine copy of Windows 7 or Windows 8.1.

Digital entitlement

You bought genuine Windows 10 from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10.

Digital entitlement

You bought a Windows 10 Pro upgrade from the Windows Store and successfully activated Windows 10.

Digital entitlement

You’re a Windows Insider and upgraded to the newest Windows 10 Insider Preview build on an eligible device that was running an activated previous version of Windows and Windows 10 Preview.

Digital entitlement

You bought a copy of Windows 10 from an authorized retailer.

Product key
(On a label inside the box Windows 10 came in.)

You bought a digital copy of Windows 10 from an authorized retailer.

Product key
(In the confirmation email you received after buying Windows 10 or in a digital locker accessible through the retailer’s website.)

You have a Volume Licensing agreement for Windows 10 or MSDN subscription.

Product key
(Available through the web portal for your program.)

You bought a new device running Windows 10.

Product key
(Pre–installed on your device, included with the device packaging, or included as a card or on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) attached to the device.)

quicky008

Technomancer
i have a system with the following config-core 2 duo 2.33 ghz,Asrock 945gc mobo,3 gb ram,80 gb hdd-is it compatible with win 10?How much space does win 10 require for installation?Will it support my onboard gpu ie intel gma 950?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
everything is good - 20GB HDD space is needed for 64 bit version and 16GB for 32 bit. Win10 will support GMA 950 - if you don't like the driver provided with windows you can try driver released for win 7 or 8.1.

quicky008

Technomancer
ok,thanks a lot for replying-afaik intel never released any official win 8/8.1 compatible drivers for gma 950-do the older drivers that were released for win 7 really work on newer OSes like win 10/8.1?And will i experience any graphical glitches if i stick with the drivers that are included by default with win 10?

Minion

Conversation Architect
^Intel is no more providing updated driver for downloading latest drivers are updated through windows update from win 8 may be.

kunaltech

Journeyman
Dear Friends

I recently tried updating the latest update of Windows 10 on my HP 2000 laptop, but now it has entered into restarting loop and i dont have any restore option nor its taking backup through troubleshoot option, now i want take the backup of my data as i have only one partition thats C and d is for recovering option ( which is not working). please help me with options where i can take my data backup and then can go for reset option. if anyone has alternative pls helpout

Gollum

Collector
Dear Friends

I recently tried updating the latest update of Windows 10 on my HP 2000 laptop, but now it has entered into restarting loop and i dont have any restore option nor its taking backup through troubleshoot option, now i want take the backup of my data as i have only one partition thats C and d is for recovering option ( which is not working). please help me with options where i can take my data backup and then can go for reset option. if anyone has alternative pls helpout

You can use the link below to backup your data on the PC and perform a clean windows 10 install.
Peppermint Live CD/DVD/USB - Create for Emergency Backup - Windows 7 Help Forums

to clean install win 10 download it from the link below using media creation tool.
link: *www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With the new version of win 10 aka version 1511 you can use the key of win 8.1 or 7 to activate windows 10.
Call HP support to get the key or better yet, login to HP chat support and get the key from them.

news on activation:
Microsoft Makes Windows 10 Activation Easier With Latest Update | NDTV Gadgets360.com

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
everything is good - 20GB HDD space is needed for 64 bit version and 16GB for 32 bit. Win10 will support GMA 950 - if you don't like the driver provided with windows you can try driver released for win 7 or 8.1.

i have a system with the following config-core 2 duo 2.33 ghz,Asrock 945gc mobo,3 gb ram,80 gb hdd-is it compatible with win 10?How much space does win 10 require for installation?Will it support my onboard gpu ie intel gma 950?

ok,thanks a lot for replying-afaik intel never released any official win 8/8.1 compatible drivers for gma 950-do the older drivers that were released for win 7 really work on newer OSes like win 10/8.1?And will i experience any graphical glitches if i stick with the drivers that are included by default with win 10?

I can confirm GMA 950 works fairly well on Windows 10 64bit pro
the windows 7 drivers + windows update works fine
can handle Left 4 Dead also ,no issues so far as such
best try out in dual boot

kunaltech

Journeyman
You can use the link below to backup your data on the PC and perform a clean windows 10 install.
Peppermint Live CD/DVD/USB - Create for Emergency Backup - Windows 7 Help Forums

to clean install win 10 download it from the link below using media creation tool.
link: *www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With the new version of win 10 aka version 1511 you can use the key of win 8.1 or 7 to activate windows 10.
Call HP support to get the key or better yet, login to HP chat support and get the key from them.

news on activation:
Microsoft Makes Windows 10 Activation Easier With Latest Update | NDTV Gadgets360.com

My laptop came with windows 8 pre loaded and if i choose on clean install win 10 will be data be lost? and if its lose how can i take backup

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
My laptop came with windows 8 pre loaded and if i choose on clean install win 10 will be data be lost? and if its lose how can i take backup

clean install will get rid of data
if you want to conserve your data and have a stable OS experience, just follow these steps,ive used them for 4 installations so far

1. Download a Windows 10 official iso
2. Mount it or simply open it with winrar
3. Run Setup.exe
4. select required options and ensure the data saving and setting backup option is selected
5. after installation,download all 8.1 or higher drivers from OEM site
6. install all drivers and reboot
7. allow windows update to update any remaining things
8. check if everything is working- especially sleep mode and graphic card

if not:-
1.make a new partition and clean install windows 10 in that new partition WITHOUT entering anything in product key(important), simply skip it, itll automatically detect the other windows 10 installation and activate later
2. install drivers and check again

if you arent happy with windows 10, you can roll back to 8.1 within the windows 10 settings(no experience here on my side)
I believe if you follow all my above steps, you can technically have a windows 8.1 and windows 10 dual boot BUT I havent tested this myself and have seen this online ONLY

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and please take a backup on external HDD if possible
use clonezilla,paragon etc if possible(havent tried these programs myself but have seen others use them)

Gollum

Collector

clean install will delete all your data.
Best to backup as said by others.

I upgraded my win 7 desktop today and guess what, I got Windows 10 1511 build 10586.3

quicky008

Technomancer
I can confirm GMA 950 works fairly well on Windows 10 64bit pro
the windows 7 drivers + windows update works fine
can handle Left 4 Dead also ,no issues so far as such
best try out in dual boot

Yeah the drivers for win 7 x64 did work on win 10 64 bit,but problems started when i attempted to play some hd videos on my pc-these videos which otherwise work just fine on windows 7,started exhibiting severe stuttering during playback on win 10 and also produced a lot of visual artifacts and glitches-i suppose it was happening as the driver wasn't fully compatible with win 10 and so some of its functions were not working properly.Did you experience any similar issues with video playback on your system after using the win 7 driver for gma 950?

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Yeah the drivers for win 7 x64 did work on win 10 64 bit,but problems started when i attempted to play some hd videos on my pc-these videos which otherwise work just fine on windows 7,started exhibiting severe stuttering during playback on win 10 and also produced a lot of visual artifacts and glitches-i suppose it was happening as the driver wasn't fully compatible with win 10 and so some of its functions were not working properly.Did you experience any similar issues with video playback on your system after using the win 7 driver for gma 950?

no such issues on my end, though I dont use it much these days as such as its my secondary machine

quicky008

Technomancer
^can u tell me which version of the drivers did u use?Mine were probably 8.xxx(cant recall the exact figure atm)?And which motherboard does your system with the gma 950 igp have?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
These days the only thing I get are updates. Daily, there are some updates to install. And since I have kept it to manual, I always have to respond to prompts. -_-

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
I have a doubt reg. Activation.

I want to replace the HDD in my laptop as the current one is about to fail. If i change the HDD, will Windows 10 stay Activated?

I'll clone OS partition to new HDD.

----

Right now I have Windows 10 activated (upgraded from Win 7 sp1 & fresh installed) on my laptop. Updated to the latest version too (TH2).

After upgrading to latest version (TH2), Defraggler app gives a "WARNING" msg on the HDD's health. I checked with HD Tune app & that also shows "Warning" msg on HDD health.

Warning: "Reallocated sector Count 230"

----

In FAQ page of MS Why can't I activate Windows 10? - Windows Help

under Hardware changes it says

If you made substantial hardware changes to your PC, such as replacing your hard drive or motherboard, Windows might no longer be activated on your PC. For info on how to activate your PC, see the product activation article.

Top Bottom