Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
News: Windows 10 November Update mysteriously pulled, as concerns about bugs grow | Ars Technica
Downloadable versions of Windows 10 version 1511, the November 2015 update, appear to have been removed after their release earlier this month.

The November update was originally available via the MCT (Media Creation Tool), but the company decided that future installs should be through Windows Update. People can still download Windows 10 [Build 10240] using the MCT tool if they wish. The November update will be delivered via Windows Update.

Microsoft has not pulled the Windows 10 November 10 update. The company is rolling out the November update over time – if you don’t see it in Windows Update, you will see it soon.

Minion

Conversation Architect
^And those *******s are making updates mandatory for home user.I lost 5GB of data for nothing, updates never gets installed windows keeps on downloading them sucking my 2G data.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^And those *******s are making updates mandatory for home user.I lost 5GB of data for nothing, updates never gets installed windows keeps on downloading them sucking my 2G data.

It's not "mandatory". Just let it ask for prompt.
I have broadband but even then I don't want it to automatically install updates. So I disabled it. To do that open Update settings, and then in Advanced Options, select, "Defer Updates". 'Bing' explains the setting as:
Some Windows 10 editions let you defer upgrades to your PC. When you defer upgrades, new Windows features won’t be downloaded or installed for several months. Deferring upgrades doesn’t affect security updates. Note that deferring upgrades will prevent you from getting the latest Windows features as soon as they’re available.

amjath

Human Spambot
News: Windows 10 November Update mysteriously pulled, as concerns about bugs grow | Ars Technica

Its only Media Creation Tool [MCT] which is pulled, since there is an issue with clean install and not with upgrade

But i downloaded from Windows update and converted the install.esd to iso.

Last edited:

BhargavJ

In the zone
I have questions regarding the Media Creation Tool. To upgrade my current laptop with Win 8.1 Single Language, I selected the first option "Upgrade this PC now". It immediately started downloading the Win 10 setup. I stopped the download after a few seconds, as I didn't want to download it at that time. I know it was downloading the correct version available for my version of Win 8.1, but what I'd like to know is, once the whole download process has completed, does choosing "Upgrade this PC now" give any option to create an ISO at the end? Because if not, I will have downloaded the whole setup and run it and installed it, but I still wouldn't have the Win 10 ISO for future format - reinstalls.

The second option "Create installation media for another PC" asks the user to choose the version and all and later creates an ISO. Suppose I choose the second option and select the version of Win 10 that I can get, will the download size be the same as the download size of the first option? Because I've searched on Google, and I've found varying file sizes mentioned: at one place it was 3.1 GBs, at another 3.7 GBs.

:)

Alok

Adventurer
I have questions regarding the Media Creation Tool. To upgrade my current laptop with Win 8.1 Single Language, I selected the first option "Upgrade this PC now". It immediately started downloading the Win 10 setup. I stopped the download after a few seconds, as I didn't want to download it at that time. I know it was downloading the correct version available for my version of Win 8.1, but what I'd like to know is, once the whole download process has completed, does choosing "Upgrade this PC now" give any option to create an ISO at the end? Because if not, I will have downloaded the whole setup and run it and installed it, but I still wouldn't have the Win 10 ISO for future format - reinstalls.

The second option "Create installation media for another PC" asks the user to choose the version and all and later creates an ISO. Suppose I choose the second option and select the version of Win 10 that I can get, will the download size be the same as the download size of the first option? Because I've searched on Google, and I've found varying file sizes mentioned: at one place it was 3.1 GBs, at another 3.7 GBs.

afaik you only get key when you upgrade for the first time. Clean installation from disk/usb wont give you license key . Once you upgrade , the key will be bound to your system and you can clean install now and OS will be activated after installation is done. you can also extract your windows 10 key (after upgrading) using some tool I used.

amjath

Human Spambot
[MENTION=118706]Alok[/MENTION] was right about the key. [MENTION=155768]BhargavJ[/MENTION] first step will give you install.esd file in hidden windows$BT folder. So use the op to extract the iso from esd file.
The second option will give you iso file. Copy the contents from iso to USB drive or Mount the iso and upgrade the os.
Once upgraded then get the produkey tool to get your new windows 10 key and clean install the os with new key

BhargavJ

In the zone
afaik you only get key when you upgrade for the first time. Clean installation from disk/usb wont give you license key . Once you upgrade , the key will be bound to your system and you can clean install now and OS will be activated after installation is done. you can also extract your windows 10 key (after upgrading) using some tool I used.

Read the question please. My question has nothing to do with the license key.

[MENTION=118706]Alok[/MENTION] was right about the key. [MENTION=155768]BhargavJ[/MENTION] first step will give you install.esd file in hidden windows$BT folder. So use the op to extract the iso from esd file.
The second option will give you iso file. Copy the contents from iso to USB drive or Mount the iso and upgrade the os.
Once upgraded then get the produkey tool to get your new windows 10 key and clean install the os with new key

This is what I wanted to know. Thanks, Amjath. I've worked with ESD files earlier so I can create an ISO from ESD files. :)

BhargavJ

In the zone
I downloaded the Setup using the Media Creation Tool. Earlier I had a 2 MBPS connection; it would take an hour to download 700 MBs, and 4 hours to download 2800 MBs. Now I have a 1 MBPS connection, so it would have taken more than 8 hours to download the setup. I went to a friend's place, who has a 4 MBPS connection, and was able to download it in an hour and a half... :)

After this, I checked the two $WINDOWS folders in C:\, but they don't contain the ESD file. It seems the setup deleted the ESD after creating the ISO. I ran Recuva, hoping it would find the deleted ESD, but it came up blank. Does this mean Microsoft securely deletes the ESD after creating the ISO?

I had searched for a torrent download so I could stop and resume whenever I wanted, but unfortunately, I couldn't find one. Microsoft should really provide one.

Explorer shows the ISO file as having a file size of 3,198,720 KB (3.04 GBs). Does MS provide any checksum to verify the integrity of the file. The Media Creation Tool had checked the integrity after completing the download, but it created the ISO after that. I'd just like to be sure everything's fine.

Do I have to burn the ISO to a DVD/USB drive, or can I extract the contents of the ISO to a folder in the root part of a partition and run the setup from there? Anyone tried running the setup this way?

D

Deleted member 118788

Just use a USB drive. Use Rufus to make your USB bootable. Please read this for your checksum query: [H]ard|Forum - View Single Post - Windows 10 checksum?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Well, it was weird that I was still on 10.0.10240 (Build 10240). So I poked into settings, and realized I had the "defer updates" settings turned on.
Now that I turned it off, I have got the update to version 1511, 10586. It's updating now.

Any good things with this update?

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Well, it was weird that I was still on 10.0.10240 (Build 10240). So I poked into settings, and realized I had the "defer updates" settings turned on.
Now that I turned it off, I have got the update to version 1511, 10586. It's updating now.

Any good things with this update?
Faster start menu, colored title bar of windows ,many UI change and many other changes which you can read in the changelog

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
One thing I really disliked is the all white title bar in folders. Now there is no identification between active and non active explorer windows.
Really liked the transparent title bars in Win 7.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
One thing I really disliked is the all white title bar in folders. Now there is no identification between active and non active explorer windows.
Really liked the transparent title bars in Win 7.
Fortunately in the latest update three active windows have the colored title bars while the nonactive have white bars

z3rO

Journeyman
I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro Version 1511 Build 10586.7

I think this is the latest build...

Ver 1511 Build 10586.17 here

- - - Updated - - -

I downloaded the Setup using the Media Creation Tool. Earlier I had a 2 MBPS connection; it would take an hour to download 700 MBs, and 4 hours to download 2800 MBs. Now I have a 1 MBPS connection, so it would have taken more than 8 hours to download the setup. I went to a friend's place, who has a 4 MBPS connection, and was able to download it in an hour and a half... :)

After this, I checked the two $WINDOWS folders in C:\, but they don't contain the ESD file. It seems the setup deleted the ESD after creating the ISO. I ran Recuva, hoping it would find the deleted ESD, but it came up blank. Does this mean Microsoft securely deletes the ESD after creating the ISO?

I had searched for a torrent download so I could stop and resume whenever I wanted, but unfortunately, I couldn't find one. Microsoft should really provide one.

Explorer shows the ISO file as having a file size of 3,198,720 KB (3.04 GBs). Does MS provide any checksum to verify the integrity of the file. The Media Creation Tool had checked the integrity after completing the download, but it created the ISO after that. I'd just like to be sure everything's fine.

You can download the ISOs directly from MS's site.
Link 1 - Tech Bench.
Link 2 - Open this link in any non-windows machine, else you'll be redirected to MCT Download.
Both links provide the same ISOs. 'Windows 10' in the edition drop down menu on that ISO page contains both Win 10 Home and Pro.

Do I have to burn the ISO to a DVD/USB drive, or can I extract the contents of the ISO to a folder in the root part of a partition and run the setup from there? Anyone tried running the setup this way?

If you want to do an in place upgrade (not clean install) then you can just extract the ISO to any folder and run the setup. For clean install, you'll need to create a bootable USB.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Alright.. so mine is updated to Ver 1511 Build 10586.17 too.
The title bar is still white for active and inactive explorer windows. Might need to dig up some settings.

BhargavJ

In the zone
I haven't installed Win 10 on my laptop yet. I've read that the first time, it has to be an upgrade install (over Win 8.1 in my case) during which it will copy Win 8.1's license. Once Microsoft registers the old Win 8.1 license as a Win 10 license, it is then possible to format and clean install Win 10 at any future date. Is this still true - upgrade installing instead of formatting and clean installing the first time? My system has the license saved in the hardware itself. When I previously installed Win 8.1 after formatting Win 8, it never asked for a license; it directly took it from the hardware.

I downloaded Win 10 using the Media Creation Tool two days ago. So have I got the latest version you all are talking about? Is it the same as the November update?

Top Bottom