Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

amjath

Human Spambot
As Forbes contributor*Gordon Kelly reports, the problem revolves around a conflict between automatic updates and Nvidia graphics card updates using Nvidia’s ‘Nvidia GeForce Experience’—a handy tool for all Nvidia GPU owners. Basically Microsoft has taken control away from users, and made all updates mandatory—including driver updates. This is a decision meant to increase security and stability across the PC user base, but it comes at a cost.

Users are reporting problems with multi-monitor setups, dual-card configurations (SLI) and PCs not booting properly, setting off Windows 10 emergency recovery mode. More issues are likely to arise.

In other words, for a lot of PC users—and for Nvidia-GPU toting gamers in particular—Windows 10 could be problematic, especially at launch. Gamers are especially at risk given the much higher likelihood of that demographic*running Nvidia graphics cards, as well as dual-GPU and dual-monitor setups
Gamers Should Be Worried About Windows 10 Automatic Updates - Forbes

- - - Updated - - -

Edge is super fast. Faster than chrome.

How does Edge perform compared to IE on facebook.com? is it more sluggish or less?

I haven't tried it yet. But from what I read,

I’m less impressed with Edge’s ability to mark up a webpage. Microsoft pitched this feature as something akin to a personalized Web, but it isn’t. Clicking the icon that looks like an overly abstract pencil in a box allows you to add notes, squiggles, even text to a webpage. The problem is that the result is stored as an image file for OneNote or other apps. So who cares? You can take a screenshot of any Web page with any browser in the world, save it to Paint, and then mark it up. As I wrote this review, IDGNS reporter Blair Hanley Frank informed me that Edge crashes while trying to save a marked-up Web page. He’s right. It did.

Edge’s Reading Mode, which strips the unnecessary cruft out of a webpage, is a mixed bag. For a visually distracting page with ads and popups all over the place, it’s nice. You can’t load a page in Reading Mode without viewing the page as it was originally laid out, however, a nod to advertisers and the sites that depend on them (cough).

*www.pcworld.com/article/2950916/windows/windows-10-review-its-familiar-its-powerful-but-the-edge-browser-falls-short.html?page=6

Kaltrops

In the zone

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 10 review: It's familiar, it's powerful, but the Edge browser falls short | PCWorld
I stopped reading articles by Forbes. They are extremely negative. You will be better off staying away from them, especially if it's gaming related.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Well, DirectX 12 looks promising. I don't think gaming on Windows will be much problematic.

Also, compulsory updates seems too draconian. I don't believe that MS would really implement such a feature.

amjath

Human Spambot
[MENTION=315903]Kaltrops[/MENTION] and desmond you need to look at Sam above link. Ms did a workaround anyway for the issue.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
But we have that feature even in current and previous windows versions. How is this a workaround?

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 10 Quick start guide has been leaked online. Check it out here: Windows 10 Quick Start Guide Leaked Online, Download It Now

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 10 review: It's familiar, it's powerful, but the Edge browser falls short | PCWorld

Thanks [MENTION=127004]amjath[/MENTION]. The saving grace is that now it can be frequently updated, so I'll give it a few months before forming my opinion.

amjath

Human Spambot
But we have that feature even in current and previous windows versions. How is this a workaround?

- - - Updated - - -

Windows 10 Quick start guide has been leaked online. Check it out here: Windows 10 Quick Start Guide Leaked Online, Download It Now

you have to manually untick the nvidia drivers in windows 8 but it will not be the case in windows 10. so a workaround. Hope I was right from what I understand

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
Well, DirectX 12 looks promising. I don't think gaming on Windows will be much problematic.

Also, compulsory updates seems too draconian. I don't believe that MS would really implement such a feature.

it will be addressed with an update, last night i fully updated the insider preview to 10240 RTM build, I had a live chat with a MS Sales professional and a technical assistant in their blog site, they said,

"insiders will receive that patch some days later than those who will get the upgrade from legit windows 8.1 or 7. Since insiders already have made themselves familiar with windows 10 and its features (buggy or not), it would make sense that users, who have reserved space in their windows systems with 8.1 and waited long for the official launch, will be given priority to ensure a flawless first time experience"

When I further excavated with the freaky Geforce Driver ninja update MS just pulled with their latest build without even giving a chance for thought to users if they could NOT opt for it, they said..

"we are working closely with Drivers team from both AMD and Nvidia to ensure that our intent, to maintain a seamless synchronicity about keeping the library updated at all times, is served. Only in this case we are driving it as a mandate for the initial days of windows 10 to ensure that there is not much versioning overhead rightaway when vendors will keep releasing their updated drivers or hotfixes as we come across issues/optimizations in game. Also its an observed standard in builds and releases to have operational and functional readiness with all previous releases of the same code as a part of QA.
So it is unlikely be the case that users would want to rollback to a previous driver version unless specifically for a typical problem with other API's and frameworks in their individual systems. Should that be the case anyway, users would have liberty to rollback on their own. And they will have options to hide updates in windows itself when we make it available"

About windows phone 10 insider ( as i have the somewhat buggy build 10166 ), i asked if they would be so kind to release the WP10 final build on 29th July only and make it available on compatible mobile devices.

They said, "Yes, but in APAC countries you are likely to face a delay based on the carrier availablity" "In US TSPs are looking forward for a day-zero initiation"

I asked if in India will it suck to wait for the update in my Lumia for long. He said "probably yes."

A

amit.tiger12

update feature is really bad, in earlier windows edition it was much better...

Kaltrops

In the zone
Its a copy of firefox and chrome and some other browsers.
Looks like an indian gave the idea for it lol

Haha. All the more reason to get excited cause no one copies better than an Indian!

So who is excited for tomorrows launch?
has anyone got the 3GB update available already?

Not everyone will get the update tomorrow. I'm already on the insider preview but I'm still excited, lol :)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
I haven't noticed any network activity over the past few days that would suggest that the download has started yet.

If somebody doesn't own a copy of windows and would like to buy windows 10, how would one go about it? And what would be the prices of the different editions?

Last edited:

sam_738844

Wise Old Owl
If somebody doesn't own a copy of windows and would like to buy windows 10, how would one go about it? And what would be the prices of the different editions?

you can buy it from microsoft.com , yeah no kidding, *www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/result.aspx?q=windows+10&form=apps

and if you want a retail copy, retailers will have super-fast bootable USB 3 sticks with windows 10 for you to buy. There is no pre-order option in India, you will know on/after 29th of July 2015.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Still haven't got the update. Some of my friends have said that their download started last night itself. I'm still waiting for mine(currently running Windows 7 Pro)

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Still haven't got the update. Some of my friends have said that their download started last night itself. I'm still waiting for mine(currently running Windows 7 Pro)

Read this: *www.digit.in/forum/software-q/192748-windows-10-discussion-thread-post2245104.html#post2245104

Top Bottom