Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

I updated my current win 8 and the update tool place at full connection speed 20mbps.
Ran wuauclt.exe /updatenow and it started downloading 2699.0 mB Windows 10 at a measly 0.5mbps. Speedtest gives me 20mbps even with USA servers.
Are the update servers overloaded?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yeah. I triggered it by running wuauclt.exe /updatenow but it failed after downloading around 6GB data in $Windows-BT and 2GB data in $Windows-WS

Found the solution. Writing this post from win 10. Drivers update going on.

Copy the below file to a folder in separate partition (let's say D:\win10)
C:\$Windows.~BT\Sources\install.esd to D:\win10
*i.imgur.com/NDZM0HZ.png

Download ESD decrypter
ESD decrypter (Alternate download link: ESD decrypter)
(Source Instructions: Create a bootable ISO file using ESD Image for - Microsoft Community)

Extract the content to win10, it should look like this
*i.imgur.com/haP1yvw.png

Run the decrypt.cmd file as admin
*i.imgur.com/88ilgtZ.png

Enter 1 as the option to create bootable iso
*i.imgur.com/wFn1eAM.png

You will see the iso once the process is completed. ISO size is 3.71 GB (64 bit edition).
*i.imgur.com/eOyqmhF.png

Mount it in win 8/8.1 as virtual drive
*i.imgur.com/bDLSRPi.png

Go inside the virtual drive and run the setup to initiate win 10 install
*i.imgur.com/hh63BmB.png

Uncheck the box and select not right now (will save you time)
*i.imgur.com/ZwJu3vN.png

Accept
*i.imgur.com/Mymp1hU.png

Click on Install. By default win 10 install will do an upgrade to win 8/8.1. So just continue installing.
*i.imgur.com/ZmsMo3s.png

Your system will restart and begin updating. A couple more restarts will follow. Tip: Unplug your internet connection for a speedy install. You can update later once your win 10 is installed.
*i.imgur.com/8Orliku.jpg

Logon screen :)
*i.imgur.com/qaKKEjQ.jpg

*i.imgur.com/SL4vOAD.png

Reconnect your internet connection. Your video driver and other stuff will begin updating in background. You can download drivers directly if you wish.

Few apps will be incompatible to some extent. Update should fix that.

Now you have a Windows 10 iso too. Use it to install on other computers.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ Thanks for that guide. Mine is still downloading the update and it will finish once I reach home to let it finish.

Meanwhile, what about the bootloader? Does it overwrites the Grub? I read it retains Grub intact. And you just need to rename the entry of Win7 to Win 10.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
What's the size of Windows 10 ISO?

ESD file is 2.6 GB.

When converted to ISO using ESD dcrypter it's about 3.71 GB for 64 bit edition.

- - - Updated - - -

^^ Thanks for that guide. Mine is still downloading the update and it will finish once I reach home to let it finish.

Meanwhile, what about the bootloader? Does it overwrites the Grub? I read it retains Grub intact. And you just need to rename the entry of Win7 to Win 10.

Not sure about bootloader stuff. I guess if your bootloader is installed on another harddisk (other than the windows os harddisk), you can simply unplug all other HDDs during installation. That will prevent accidental bootloader rewrites.

I run ubuntu on virtual box. So no idea about others.

ashs1

Padawan
Forgive my n00bness friends :( : my lenovo y510p is still on windows 8..Do i have to update it to 8.1 to get the windows 10 update ??? & i saw some sites reporting that windows 10 would be free for just a year..would this be the same for original windows 8 users ?? ::)

kartikoli

Busy!!
Do we have proper support for antivirues now? Last time I tried a beta and couldn't install any antivirus like kaspersky, Avast etc...
I'll be upgrading my laptop with 8.1 installed.
Sorry for being uninformed, Do we have a key so that if we format and do a clean install we can use any iso downloaded from net with a genuine key

Alok

Adventurer
Switched to it from Windows 7 last night. I'm loving it and feeling like 7 with great enhancements.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
My update failed too. So again leaning towards fresh install. Does a fresh install ask for a key( I have a genuine Windows 8.1 key) or does it activate itself from your microsoft account?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
My update failed too. So again leaning towards fresh install. Does a fresh install ask for a key( I have a genuine Windows 8.1 key) or does it activate itself from your microsoft account?

Did you read my earlier post ? It wont ask for key if you are installing from within win 8/8.1.

Top Bottom