Official Windows 10 Thread: Installation and Issues (check first post)

amjath

Human Spambot
Quick question:

When one boots into Windows 10 do we see the normal desktop directly or we're forced to click the desktop "tile" to access it ?
You can bypass the start screen and load directly into desktop in windows 8.1 itself.

In Windows 10, you can have start menu or start screen, can be changed in the settings

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Heads up guys,
"Cortana is only currently available on Windows 10 for the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain."

Source: *www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Also from the same source I realize this time there is only 3 editions of Windows 10! Phone, Home and Pro. What a relief.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Still haven't got the windows 10 update reserve/logo

Perhaps you've read this
My Desktop PC and my Laptop has space that are already reserved for Windows 10(Download + Install) as per my email verification from Microsoft.
Just thinking about the Micromax Canvas LapTab LT666...where is that reserved Windows 10 space?????????????????????
Wondering how to do that in a hybrid/2 in 1 device!!!!
Just wait for some time,meanwhile go by krishnandu's link..
If your Windows is Genuine Licensed,no problems should occur...

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Heads up guys,
"Cortana is only currently available on Windows 10 for the United States, United Kingdom, China, France, Italy, Germany, and Spain."

Source: *www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications

Also from the same source I realize this time there is only 3 editions of Windows 10! Phone, Home and Pro. What a relief.

we're gonna get the pro XD

ssdivisiongermany1933

Still in war with allies
was wondering I would be able to make a clean install of windows on just writing over my current windows on upgrading ..I always do clean install when getting New operating system

any clarificiations ?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
^^ That is a good question. The one I was wondering about too.
As it looks we can only "update" and not do a fresh install. Depends on how Windows downloads the updates. It won't download an ISO image for sure. And we can't use existing keys of Win 7 or 8 with Win 10.
Hence update seems to be the only way to go.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Windows 10 free upgrade allows clean reinstalls - The Tech Report

Yes the upgrade allows clean installs

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Windows 10 free upgrade allows clean reinstalls - The Tech Report

Yes the upgrade allows clean installs
In which case perhaps only away to activate would be calling Microsoft support via phone?

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
In which case perhaps only away to activate would be calling Microsoft support via phone?
*mobile.twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605900073277325312
*mobile.twitter.com/GabeAul/status/605955258137722880

amjath

Human Spambot
^^ That is a good question. The one I was wondering about too.
As it looks we can only "update" and not do a fresh install. Depends on how Windows downloads the updates. It won't download an ISO image for sure. And we can't use existing keys of Win 7 or 8 with Win 10.
Hence update seems to be the only way to go.
Windows 8.1 was also an update only but windows allowed to download it as iso. So for windows 10 also they will allow it.
[MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION] link was enough to answer.
But I usually take os in backup disc. For windows 8.1 installation, here is what I did.
Download windows 8.1 in iso and do a clean install, use the generic windows key for install and then activate using original windows 8 key. So obviously windows 10 will also allow it

Kymy414

Broken In
All for the hype and all but like most people I'll probably wait it out a few weeks or months after release day XD Don't want to run into a ton of compatibly issues =))

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
All for the hype and all but like most people I'll probably wait it out a few weeks or months after release day XD Don't want to run into a ton of compatibly issues =))

I doubt there will be hardware compatibility issues. This Windows rollout will be undoubtedly be one of the biggest in the history of the company. The hardware companies probably know by now what exactly they might need to change to get their devices working & have drivers being made.

Also see this: Why Windows 10 isn?t version 6 any more and why it will probably work | Ars Technica

The article is self explanatory. Most software will also be working fine from day 1 obviously. Barring a few.

kg11sgbg

Windows 8.1 was also an update only but windows allowed to download it as iso. So for windows 10 also they will allow it.
[MENTION=163350]ZTR[/MENTION] link was enough to answer.
But I usually take os in backup disc. For windows 8.1 installation, here is what I did.
Download windows 8.1 in iso and do a clean install, use the generic windows key for install and then activate using original windows 8 key. So obviously windows 10 will also allow it
In that case for my DELL 14 Inspiron 5447 laptop,is the original windows 8.1(64-bit) key the one that is shown up in : Control panel --> System and Security ---> System ---->Windows activation------>Product ID : xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-AAOEM???
Just a clarification from all of you friends.
Or is the License (Product ID) a pure number series of : xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=127004]amjath[/MENTION] what is your point regarding my query?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
That means we can use Win 8 or 8.1 key to install win 10 from disk later ?

amjath

Human Spambot
In that case for my DELL 14 Inspiron 5447 laptop,is the original windows 8.1(64-bit) key the one that is shown up in : Control panel --> System and Security ---> System ---->Windows activation------>Product ID : xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-AAOEM???
Just a clarification from all of you friends.
Or is the License (Product ID) a pure number series of : xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx

- - - Updated - - -
[MENTION=127004]amjath[/MENTION] what is your point regarding my query?
It will be alphanumeric and since yours is laptop you are getting OEM based key

kg11sgbg

It will be alphanumeric and since yours is laptop you are getting OEM based key

Means the above designated/mentioned key for my laptop is a valid key,which can be applied while upgrading to Windows 10?

Sorry,friends,actually forgot to mention that the windows keys(Licensed or valid or cracked)are always alphanumeric and never pure numerical. Sorry to miss the point. In fact I do have my Windows 7(64-bit) licensed keys for my desktop,which is alphanumerical.

Top Bottom