Official Android discussion thread

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
i am also considering buying an Android based Phone but my budget is only 16k (can't stretch anymore)..so i guess i can only afford the i5801 Galaxy 3?is it worth buying? i mean i am not really into apps or modding a phone..i basically want a phone with great multimedia features, superb audio quality & a decent touchscreen.i can also afford the xperia x10 mini & mini pro but they only have a 2.5'' screen.will that be a disadvantage as i've read that some apps do not run in smaller res. so should i buy any other phone with a different OS instead of android, as i may not be using all the features it has to offer?

No. 1 suggestion: Do not buy HTC Wildfire or x10 mini.

These two phones are an attack to sanity. I have seen a 240 × 320 (Wildfire) and I know how bad it looks. X10 mini is too tiny & you will die scrolling left to right. Considering the choice the best bet remains Galaxy 3. Though this phone too has a lower resolution (240 × 320) but it is at least better than Wildfire. 3.2" (Galaxy 3) display is not bad for day to day use.

IMO buy Galaxy 3; it fits your expectation list.

D

Deleted member 26636

No. 1 suggestion: Do not buy HTC Wildfire or x10 mini.

These two phones are an attack to sanity. I have seen a 240 × 320 (Wildfire) and I know how bad it looks. X10 mini is too tiny & you will die scrolling left to right. Considering the choice the best bet remains Galaxy 3. Though this phone too has a lower resolution (240 × 320) but it is at least better than Wildfire. 3.2" (Galaxy 3) display is not bad for day to day use.

IMO buy Galaxy 3; it fits your expectation list.

how is the camera on the galaxy 3?i know its 3.2mp but i am talking about photo quality...i've checked some samples on gsmarena & they looked pretty good.....but i still want a personal opinion from someone who has used it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
how is the camera on the galaxy 3?i know its 3.2mp but i am talking about photo quality...i've checked some samples on gsmarena & they looked pretty good.....but i still want a personal opinion from someone who has used it.

Don't know about the camera boss but my HTC Magic has a 3.2 MP camera. Photo quality is pretty decent as long as there is enough light.

pid 0

Broken In
i am also considering buying an Android based Phone but my budget is only 16k (can't stretch anymore)..so i guess i can only afford the i5801 Galaxy 3?is it worth buying? i mean i am not really into apps or modding a phone..i basically want a phone with great multimedia features, superb audio quality & a decent touchscreen.i can also afford the xperia x10 mini & mini pro but they only have a 2.5'' screen.will that be a disadvantage as i've read that some apps do not run in smaller res. so should i buy any other phone with a different OS instead of android, as i may not be using all the features it has to offer?
LG has announced a couple of 3.2" models which run android 2.2 (Yes..froyo) with vanilla UI and specs also looks decent... They are called optimus one and chick I guess... I read somewhere that one of the models will be available in october.... I'm not sure. Search and see if you can find more info on that
If it's priced similar to wildfire, it'll be the best mid range android...

LG has announced a couple of 3.2" models which run android 2.2 (Yes..froyo) with vanilla UI and specs also looks decent... They are called optimus one and chick I guess... I read somewhere that one of the models will be available in october.... I'm not sure. Search and see if you can find more info on that
If it's priced similar to wildfire, it'll be the best mid range android...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26636

sorry to be posting in this thread but somehow i am not able to post a new thread (10 characters error)...anyway, i've been thinking of buying the Samsung Wave (i know it has bada OS, not Android), but i've read that Xperia X8 will be launching soon...should i wait for it..i know very little about android phones so i have no idea if it will be good..what do you guys think?i have stated in an earlier post (post #760 )my requirements..please advice. thank you.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ hows the Moto Backflip? it should come in your price range. 1 good point for Motorola is they issue the Android update earlier than most players in the mobile world. last comes Sony.

D

Deleted member 26636

^^ hows the Moto Backflip? it should come in your price range. 1 good point for Motorola is they issue the Android update earlier than most players in the mobile world. last comes Sony.

read a few reviews about moto backflip.the audio quality sucks...gsmarena rates it as poor audo quality..moreover it costs a little more than 18k...guess i'll either wait for the xperia x8 or go with Wave.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
I have android 2.1 os on samsung galaxy 3

How to configure proxy for access point bsnlportal

My bsnlnet accesspoint works as it has no proxy

is there any problem with proxy in android

as i am able to connect to internet on proxy in k810

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone

How to configure proxy for access point bsnlportal

My bsnlnet accesspoint works as it has no proxy

is there any problem with proxy in android

as i am able to connect to internet on proxy in k810

Is it full Edge service or only GPRS service to access WAP sites? If it is plain GPRS it wont work in Android; you need full Edge. You can enter proxy by going to settings->access point names->New APN (press menu to get this option)->fill all the fields, save & exit. Things should work.

D

Deleted member 26636

how is the camera on the galaxy 3?i am talking about the quality of still images only...would you be able to post some full res images taken by it?also how is the screen quality?.i know it has low resolution but is it good enough to work with?do the icons look pixellated?how would you compare it with, say the screen of nokia X6?

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
how is the camera on the galaxy 3?i am talking about the quality of still images only...would you be able to post some full res images taken by it?also how is the screen quality?.i know it has low resolution but is it good enough to work with?do the icons look pixellated?how would you compare it with, say the screen of nokia X6?

Camera is ok...resolution is high...but images get shaky some time.

The screen resolution is good...IMO i dont actually need so much colour as in galaxy S AMOLED...thats why i preferred G3

Icons

Is it full Edge service or only GPRS service to access WAP sites? If it is plain GPRS it wont work in Android; you need full Edge. You can enter proxy by going to settings->access point names->New APN (press menu to get this option)->fill all the fields, save & exit. Things should work.

I Get a E sumbol in 2g signal...H symbol + 3g symbol in 3g signal(GSM+WCDMA mode)

ya i tried the apn seeting in New apn aslo still it fails to work

but the bsnlnet apn without proxy is connecting

actually if it coonects i get free net
:-o

Last edited:

blacklight

Journeyman
@Charan and @gopi_vbboy
can u post some pics of the menu UI ..how is the screen pixellation when compared to wildfire ?esp while browsing

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
^^ i see the screen is good....but for very large pages like thinkdigit forum page...it drags a bit while scrolling because of lots of ads...bt its not a big prob....

i have not seen a AMOled screen ...so i cant tell you about pixellation..for me galaxy looks good and vfm

Top Bottom