Official Android discussion thread

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Just in case that someone is not aware CM6 (i.e. CyanogenMod Froyo ROM) has been made available. If it is available for your device its highly recommended that you go ahead and try it. I flashed it on Sunday and since then I can't help and wonder o
n the goodness of this ROM! This is so fsckin good! There is hardly any delay between different screens. Home screen renders in a jiffy. Market is super smooth. New camera UI is good. The ROM is filled to the brim with various options (See screenshots). My phone feels and behaves like a brand new phone.

*img842.imageshack.us/img842/3925/ext.png*img84.imageshack.us/img84/4023/perft.png*img90.imageshack.us/img90/26/reboot.png*img829.imageshack.us/img829/2379/homecm.png

^^ :shock:

PS. List of supported devices

HTC Aria · HTC Desire · HTC Dream · HTC Evo 4G · HTC Hero (CDMA, GSM) · HTC Incredible · HTC Magic · HTC Slide · Nexus One · Motorola Droid

Last edited:

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
Re: The Official HTC Desire Thread

hi all..

i am planning to buy a android phone -budget 16-20k

main requirement:
-android apps support and os updatable
- cam >3or4mp
-3G and wifi (video call wud be good)
-good product service support(i mean repair stuff)
-java apps support(i want jar files installable if possible ...as i have some modded opera)
-ok music

pls suggest some with these

Any idea on how prevalent are viruses/trojans/malware on Android? Is it really required to install any anti-virus app on the phone? If so, any suggestions? I have an HTC Desire running Froyo.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Re: The Official HTC Desire Thread

hi all..

i am planning to buy a android phone -budget 16-20k

main requirement:
-android apps support and os updatable
- cam >3or4mp
-3G and wifi (video call wud be good)
-good product service support(i mean repair stuff)
-java apps support(i want jar files installable if possible ...as i have some modded opera)
-ok music

pls suggest some with these

Strictly within the budget you specified; you can have a look at Motorola Backflip. Java's jar apps will not work here. My suggestion: New stuff from Samsung and Huawei are just round the corner so wait if you can.

BTW HTC Wildfire is a piece of $hit; IMO don't buy it.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
My Htc Magic is now on CM6 . It looks pretty neat as mentioned above. Had a wee bit of trouble getting past the initial splash screen on install but wiping the phone and then installing worked perfectly.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
IMO leave the i5800 to its place.A resolution of 240x400 makes it one of its kind and most applications wont be supported.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
and resistive screen:-x. In short fsck it!

I am actually dismayed by many low budgeted Android phones! Nothing except Spica is worth talking about.

montsa007

~Bulletproof Monk~
Hmm...any ideas as to when Backflip is gonna be upgraded?
Or is it out? (Tried doing inbuilt upgrade but says server not found!?, Lame!)
-S

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Check this news. Doesn't look very encouraging.:oops:

Monday Morning Rant: Moto reveals Android update plans, disappoints users in India

ladoo1985

Broken In
Hi Guys,
Sorry for writing in this thread, As there's something wrong with this form 'm unable to post a new thread.

I'm starting this post to list out all the problems that are being faced by the Android users as they are the people who can really tell us what problem are coming in the Android Handsets. As most of us tend to buy the best in the Market... and I know we all get confused as there are so many options....?

As I'm interested in buying the Android Handset [SGS I9000/HTC Desire], but 'm confused b/w the 2 most anticipated Android Handset at the moment and having some doubts.....

1. All the Specs for SGS seems to be Wonderful, but when it comes to performance and day to day activity, SGS lags and TouchWiz Sucks...!! Whereas the HTC Desire is a bit low on specs as compared to SGS, but its delivers a exceptional performance for day to day activities and has a very intuitive HTC Sense UI which is surely a winner w.r.t any other custom Skin on top of Android.

2. Another Important aspect is the Internal Memory, SGS has 16GB....which is surely enough for all Ur apps, movies, music......etc, whereas Desire is only having it in MB's.
BTW, does it make any difference as Desire has got Froyo 2.2 and now u can store apps on Ur Memory Card?

3. What exactly is the difference b/w the Screens; one is equipped with Super AMOLED whereas other with the SLCD. Can anyone elaborate on to this that has used the both handsets, Except the Sunlight visibility any other major difference?

4. As far as the looks are concerned, Desire surely wins the Battle.[Depends Upon User taste, I liked the Sturdier and Robust looks of Desire as compared to plasticky looks of SGS ]

5. Gaming...Now clues...which one is better...please suggest who has used both the handsets.

6. Price No difference, both is priced same. [Rs 26990/-]

7. After Sales Services for Samsung Sucks, at least in Gurgaon, I don't Know about rest of the Regions...and can't comment on HTC as never had a chance to use HTC handsets. What i believe is that Samsung believes more in Numbers...rather than providing a quality product and the after sale services are even worse. [I had a very bad experience of Samsung Star; twice my Touch Screen got changed].

So, Guys Please Share Ur Experience about your android handset, which will help all those and even me who tend to buy Android handset in near future n one place to search for all the problems related to Android Handsets. So, one can decide which Android Handset is problem free and can be bought.

Share Your Views on Other Android Handsets also.

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
1. All the Specs for SGS seems to be Wonderful, but when it comes to performance and day to day activity, SGS lags and TouchWiz Sucks...!! Whereas the HTC Desire is a bit low on specs as compared to SGS, but its delivers a exceptional performance for day to day activities and has a very intuitive HTC Sense UI which is surely a winner w.r.t any other custom Skin on top of Android.
Yes, SGS lags out of the box. But later firmware updates fix this lag. Expect the lag to be completely solved when froyo arrives (end of Sept). But yes, Sense > Touchwiz. But that's not really an issue since you can use 3rd party launchers like Launcherpro.
2. Another Important aspect is the Internal Memory, SGS has 16GB....which is surely enough for all Ur apps, movies, music......etc, whereas Desire is only having it in MB's.
BTW, does it make any difference as Desire has got Froyo 2.2 and now u can store apps on Ur Memory Card?
Many apps cannot be moved to the sdcard even in froyo. SGS is the clear winner here.
3. What exactly is the difference b/w the Screens; one is equipped with Super AMOLED whereas other with the SLCD. Can anyone elaborate on to this that has used the both handsets, Except the Sunlight visibility any other major difference?
The SuperAMOLED is miles ahead of S-LCD.. The colors, contrast are exceptionally good! I'd say this is the BEST feature of SGS.
4. As far as the looks are concerned, Desire surely wins the Battle.[Depends Upon User taste, I liked the Sturdier and Robust looks of Desire as compared to plasticky looks of SGS ]
Like you said, personal preference :)
5. Gaming...Now clues...which one is better...please suggest who has used both the handsets.
SGS has the best GPU of any phone out there.. There is simply no competition. SGS FTW!
6. Price No difference, both is priced same. [Rs 26990/-]
Yeah, price is pretty much the same.
7. After Sales Services for Samsung Sucks, at least in Gurgaon, I don't Know about rest of the Regions...and can't comment on HTC as never had a chance to use HTC handsets. What i believe is that Samsung believes more in Numbers...rather than providing a quality product and the after sale services are even worse. [I had a very bad experience of Samsung Star; twice my Touch Screen got changed].
After sales support of all companies suck! I've heard many horror stories of HTC too! So this one's a tie ;)

sujoyp

Grand Master
Another comparison of screens

Which screen is best: Super AMOLED, Super LCD or Retina display? (Phone Arena News)

I know u just can not judge a screen by a video...but at least we can hear what reviewer has to say about them

Top Bottom