Official Android discussion thread

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
New breakthrough for G1/MT3G owners, Eugene has managed to overclock the processor to 780 MHz and its running stable on MT3G atleast (Will try out on G1)! There is a ROM for G1 already that utilizes this hack, trying it out currently :)

These guys at xda are sheer wizards :). So did you flash the ROM? How is the performance improvement? Is it draining out the battery too fast?

New Update: Went open and saw the beauty. Gorgeous. Connected everything and powered it, saw the cute animation on Hero logo :) Gud.
Was using AirTel sim and the welcome screen was to unlock it. After much hiatus, decided to shell out some euros in unlock-now.com and voila, within 10 minutes the code reaches me.
Used the code and successful. Cant wait to setup all accounts, so skipped all. UI is somewat cluttered, and more was the menu. UI is slightly lagging for touch, maybe, first use. Need to full explore.
Accessories supplied silicon base case, 3.5mm HP. Gud for a start.
Is there a stylus for this?
Stock music was played and it was okish. Not much of a sound output, may be due to the case, but it had opening in the speaker hole. Will use my songs and videos and let u ppl know.
2GB SD was accompanied with the Hero. No time to completely explore, so give me some time and will let u knw.
Thanks.

Finally you got your Hero. Congrats dude. How much you shelled out for unlocking. I have never come across a locked phone so don't have much idea if changing ROM unlocks it. There is no stylus because of a capacitive screen. Nevertheless post your experiences.

BTW I am back on Cyanoge's ROM; Eclair ROMs though were pretty fast (faster than even Cyanogen's) but gaming was very slow and videos was choppy at best. This was probably due to 10MB RAM hack. Will switch to Eclair once there is some major release.

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
BTW I am back on Cyanoge's ROM; Eclair ROMs though were pretty fast (faster than even Cyanogen's) but gaming was very slow and videos was choppy at best. This was probably due to 10MB RAM hack. Will switch to Eclair once there is some major release.
if you want sheer speed then my suggestion is to use Amon Ra's ROM but note its just a pure Magic ROM with some tweaks , but it was sickly fast.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Unlocks for android phones always have to be "bought"! There are no free software unlocks like there are for iPhones! I bought mine for $15!

Pat

Beyond Smart
AFAIK, these codes are generated legally. The unlock-sellers have a mechanism in place wherein they get the money and IMEI of the locked handset, forward that IMEI to HTC, who in turn return an unlock code which the sellers mail you. Ofcourse, all this must be automated, else 10-15 mins response time wouldnt be possible.

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
if you want sheer speed then my suggestion is to use Amon Ra's ROM but note its just a pure Magic ROM with some tweaks , but it was sickly fast.

Yeah I've heard about it. But I guess its too plain Jane for my tastes. But nevertheless I would give it a shot this weekend.

BTW I saw a press snippet in ET today about Samsung Galaxy Spica @ 15K; sounds like a good deal. It has a freaking 800 MHz processor and capacitive screen. Any views on this?

Pat

Beyond Smart
^^128 MB RAM = PHAIL! Although there are reports that it might get the 2.1 update in a few months, I highly doubt if it would be able to handle it well! Even my 192 MB RAM G1 is a bit slow when running Eclair!

Last edited:

dreams

Gracias Senor
Hero is driving me crazy!!!

I logged into gtalk and then checked my email. After 10 minutes of search, find out the log out option and logged out successfully. But, gmail doesnt log out. Searching for a log out button tuk me 60 minutes and finally googled and found the dreadful solution that there is no log out and we need to do a factory reset. Crazy!!!

Then found out another solution and logged out of Google apps completely.

Researched thru Android Market and downloaded and installed some apps. Those are gud. Market is slick and resembles appstore very much.

Is there a way to increase the speaker sound. I copied some songs and the sound is not that much gud. Any alternate player rather than the stock ones?

And what about videos? Wat are the formats accepted and wat should be the screen resolution?

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Hero is driving me crazy!!!

I logged into gtalk and then checked my email. After 10 minutes of search, find out the log out option and logged out successfully. But, gmail doesnt log out. Searching for a log out button tuk me 60 minutes and finally googled and found the dreadful solution that there is no log out and we need to do a factory reset. Crazy!!!

Researched thru Android Market and downloaded and installed some apps. Those are gud. Market is slick and resembles appstore very much.

Is there a way to increase the speaker sound. I copied some songs and the sound is not that much gud. Any alternate player rather than the stock ones?

And what about videos? Wat are the formats accepted and wat should be the screen resolution?

Chill dude!!! Your phone is not even 48hours old. Slowly you will understand the nuances of it. But doing a factory reset to logout problem is epic lol :grin:.

Being an OS from Google you would be expected to be connected all the time. But this may also translate into a very-very fat mobile bill. So first thing you should do is to download "apndroid" from market place. This will help you in switching your GPRS/EDGE connection on and off. Meridian is a very good media player; much better than the stock one. Download and have fun. Use headphone (cmon man! Hero has 3.5mm jack) instead of speaker for music ;).

Unless you have Samsung Galaxy Spica you are struck with MP4 format. Since you are an iPhone convert don't forget to download i Music and i Video application. You will love it.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
False. Although you do need to clear the cache which is possible through the Manage applications screen.

I'm guessing you might have found the same solution then.

This is what's the problem with cloud based solutions. When you get applications which synch automagically then everything seems to be considered as a single device or an object which tends to be a problem for a good number of folks.

dreams

Gracias Senor
thnx for sugg amit. Wat abt the screen resolution? I have some good vdoz converted for my iPT and iPhone. Its all in mp4 format. Will those work? Normally I use my phone to hear music when driving car. Have USB stereo, but its kinda boring. Also, need to explore Hero completely so thought of asking. Beware I am stil a complete n00b when it comes to Hero. :)

@ Filled
I found out myself clearing the cache for gmail, but tht doesnt logged me out. Then managed to find, I have to clear the cache for Gmail Apps which did the trick.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Yes oddly enough you need to clear the cache for Google Apps in order to get logged off. Although for me I rarely find it an inconvenience since no one else uses my phone.

Pat

Beyond Smart
There is a hack to increase the loudspeaker output volume..And it works fairly well! Head over to xda-devs to get it!

dreams

Gracias Senor
^^ thnx for the heads up. I searched xda and couldn find anythn fruitful. :( Mind sharing the link buddy?????

Yesterday uploaded some of the videos converted for iPhone and was wondering how to play them in Hero LOL

Then as amit said, d/l meridian and there comes the video option. All the videos played fairly well. Sound is a bit odd. Let me head up to xda to get it.

Also d/l video player, which also did the job fell and plays the video in landscape by default.

Quick qn., Using Meridian I played the htc demo video and by default it plays in portrait. But the video itself is in landscape. But when I turn the phone anticlockwise, the vdo plays in landscape, but the actual video is upside down. Is this a fault in meridian?

I played the same vdo in video player and it plays well. So, gonna stick with video player for vdos alone. wat ya say?

Last edited:

anish_sha

.:: 3 : 1 6 ::.
how about this fone guys... i am looking for a VFM android fone

*cgi.ebay.in/New-Samsung-i5700-GALA...ItemQQptZIN_Mobile_Phones?hash=item439d4474ed

OP
amitabhishek

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
Quick qn., Using Meridian I played the htc demo video and by default it plays in portrait. But the video itself is in landscape. But when I turn the phone anticlockwise, the vdo plays in landscape, but the actual video is upside down. Is this a fault in meridian?

I have never used any other video player other than the stock one. I have Meridian but I don't use it so often. If possible share the video so that I can check it on my phone.

how about this fone guys... i am looking for a VFM android fone

*cgi.ebay.in/New-Samsung-i5700-GALA...ItemQQptZIN_Mobile_Phones?hash=item439d4474ed

IMO its a damn good price for a phone with Android and 800 MHz processor.

OK...its time now for a bit of hacking ;). I have uploaded an .apk file here. Which enables download of paid application from Android market (mind it you still have to pay :) ). Once installed do a long press and select any network (this application will fake your selected network as the default to the market).

*img18.imageshack.us/img18/3056/marketenabler.png

I have selected T-mobile (US) and now I can access those kick as$ paid application from Market :).

*img59.imageshack.us/img59/6618/market1.png

*img715.imageshack.us/img715/5004/market2.png

dreams

Gracias Senor
I have never used any other video player other than the stock one. I have Meridian but I don't use it so often. If possible share the video so that I can check it on my phone.

How do you play videos in stock player? I cant find any options to play vdo in tht. So, d/l both player and vdo player does the job pretty well.

I am talkin abt the HTC Demo vdo that comes with the phone. Anyways, I have now set meridian to play all vdo in landscape. Issue is solved.

Top Bottom