'Nirbhaya' case convict interviewed in jail (in 2013)

Flash

Lost in speed
Leslie Udwin said:
“What impelled me to leave my husband and two children for two years while I made the film in India was not so much the horror of the rape as the inspiring and extraordinary eruption on the streets. A cry of ‘enough is enough’. Unprecedented numbers of ordinary men and women, day after day, faced a ferocious government crackdown that included teargas, baton charges and water cannon. They were protesting for my rights and the rights of all women. That gives me optimism. I can’t recall another country having done that in my lifetime.”

India’s Daughter: ‘I made a film on rape in India. Men’s brutal attitudes truly shocked me’ | Film | The Guardian

gemini90

Journeyman
[MENTION=120775]GhorMaanas[/MENTION] [MENTION=142062]Flash[/MENTION]

From UK Telegraph which shows the Udwin film shown is propaganda film and had two versions :One for officials to approve and anothter to show in West for propaganda film. Yet the woman claims to be honorable.

Why to blacken India on rape do they have to omit the facts?

Why to blacken India on rape do they have to omit the facts? - Telegraph
A huge row has erupted in India over India’s Daughter, a film made by the BBC on the gang-rape and murder of a young medical student on a Delhi bus in November 2012. What aroused particular anger was how the film, designed to be shown in seven countries to mark International Women’s Day, seemed to want to portray India as the rape capital of the world, with its headline claim that the country has “a rape every 22 minutes”.

But what has also come to light is that when the film was privately previewed in Delhi, its original version included evidence that in many countries in the West the incidence of rape is actually much greater. In Britain, the official Crime Survey for England and Wales 2014 estimated that there are 85,000 rapes every year, or one every six minutes. Equivalent US figures suggest that 1 per cent of all women are sexually assaulted each year, one every 25 seconds.

Those who saw the preview of India’s Daughter in Delhi have testified that the original version did make comparisons with the rest of the world. One, Anna Vetticad, praised it as a “balanced documentary”, because it ended with “worldwide statistics highlighting violence against women from Australia to the US”. But when the final version emerged, all this had been cut out. India was shown standing alone, as a country where rape is an exceptional problem.

What also led the Indian courts to ban showing the film was its portrayal of a country where violence towards women is part of its national culture.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
there is no "portrayal" and all here. it is real. the portrayal is tame. does not matter what is happening in other countries, in India, the problems and attitudes are real. The documentary barely scratched the surface. Not only men, but also women have such attitudes. Women get surprised if an old woman is gang raped, which shows that men and women have some worse than stone age mentality here, and don't understand it's about power and violence at all, they still think it is about sex.

No need to compare or bring up statistics. Statistics are worse than useless here because the definition of rape and how the cases are counted is different in every country. If a woman complains that she was raped every day for a month, that can be 30 cases in one country and 1 case in another. Why point fingers and show stats. I don't even want to know what is going on here.

What matters to us is the attitudes of the people in India, and the rape that does happen in India.

beingGamer

In the zone
Here are some thoughts on the documentary by a guy called The Surfing violinist. From US living in India since more than 2 years

India's Daughter - The Impatience of Documentary: India's Daughter - The Impatience of Documentary - YouTube

Flash

Lost in speed
Channels like NDTV always knows, how to milk the cow while the cow is still alive.

[YOUTUBE]cShXikihcEw[/YOUTUBE]

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Oh wow. Familiar with what that guy was doing here. First time seeing him get so worked up.

does the documentary say Rape is an Indian only problem?
Does the documentary say Mukesh can only be from India?
I didn't see it that way. The documentary was made in India. But it shows the views of men and women everywhere.

another problem I'm seeing is that only men are being targeted here. Pretty sure if women were the defense lawyers, they would also use the same argument. Women also have such attitudes, it's not just the men.

gemini90

Journeyman
[MENTION=142062]Flash[/MENTION] that ndtv anchor is Sonia Singh, right? If so, it was her husband RPN Singh, MoS for Home UPA, who gave the permission for the documentary in 2013 in first place.

OP
GhorMaanas

GhorMaanas

The Vagrant Seeker
@GhorMaanas @Flash

From UK Telegraph which shows the Udwin film shown is propaganda film and had two versions :One for officials to approve and anothter to show in West for propaganda film. Yet the woman claims to be honorable.

Why to blacken India on rape do they have to omit the facts?

Why to blacken India on rape do they have to omit the facts? - Telegraph

the co-director and co-producer of the film had written in detail about a similar thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, she's NDTV news anchor named "Nidhi Razdan".

Ah well, my fault to not have kept tabs on the channel since long.

i remember her from the epic rebuke she had received from a British MP on TV in 2013, a chastising that's much deserved & needed by our popular media, but rarely given/seen!

Last edited:
A

amit.tiger12

'UK's Daughters' Documentary

*www.google.co.in/search?q=uk+daugh...=gNcGVZyiH4OLuwSasYH4BQ#q=uk+daughter&tbm=nws

icebags

Technomancer
i have been playing battlefield online a quite some time now, and while doing so, i keep meeting fellow indian people online. communicating language of these guys always amaze me, probably 50%-70% of the words they use to form a sentence, consist of sexual, abusive, molesting kind of stuff. and so they keep me amazed, if these people can't do it, who will...... to say, using of gaali wards at such scale is also not as common even in english, exceptions are some intentional usage in some films, and some special places on earth.

i would say, there is no need to debate anything whether the docu should be shown or not, cause it will not change anything. those who feel like doing it, will do it, in spite of all the protests or anything ......

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
pointing out the hypocrisy in making the documentary, and bringing up UK statistics is an example of the Tu quoque logical fallacy

Flash

Lost in speed
The International Business Times reports that some people took to Twitter and voiced their approval of United Kingdom’s Daughter and lashed out at the lopsidedness of India’s Daughter. Others criticized and dismissed the film, calling it nothing more than retaliation for the BBC documentary. Still others cited embarrassment at both of the filmmakers for using these crimes to sensationalize a country-based problem when violence against women is a global issue.

Following are some of the reactions from Twitterati:

1. [*=1]"Watched "United Kingdom's Daughters" on YouTube. UK has much higher rape rate than India. Shame on UK"-- Karma Avenger HMG
    [*=1]"Not denying rape facts of UK, but reason United Kingdom's Daughters was made is as "response" to #IndiasDaughter which is a wrong mentality"-- Dr. Fish N Chips
    [*=1]"Westerners go to India, focus on dark sides of society They hide #India's bright sides outshine the west. ''United Kingdom's Daughters''--Karma Avenger HMG
    [*=1]"United Kingdom's Daughters is living proof that Indians are better at #revenge than introspection #IndiasDaughter" –Ricky Kej
    [*=1]"A video, United Kingdom's Daughters in reply to BBC India's Daughter is posted.Humiliating the victims for the sake of revenge is disgusting"—Zain
    [*=1]"It's not about #IndiasDaughter or United Kingdom's Daughters ;this is a humanitarian problem.Shame on ppl who try to divide/objectify women" --Priya Mukherji
‘United Kingdom’s Daughter’ Video Seen As Retaliation For BBC ‘India’s Daughter’

Top Bottom