Nintendo Wii U - sequel to the smash hit Wii | No trolling

heidi2521

Padawan
//MOD: This thread is for Nintendo Wii U only. For anything related to Xbox One, post here:
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/consoles/174229-definitive-xbox-one-thread-dont-troll.html. PS4 fans post here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/consoles/174371-sony-playstation-4-discussion-trolls-will-banned.html

By Nerevarine's request. I'll post a review later.

20130323_131929.jpg20130323_131944.jpg20130323_132236.jpg20130323_132248.jpg20130323_132410.jpg20130323_132438.jpg20130323_132448.jpg20130323_132501.jpg20130323_132507.jpg20130323_132532.jpg

pratyush997

Inactive
Can you please Enclose all the img link in
and edit it to the main post having all of them in spoiler (your choice)

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
The experience is quite good. The gameplay is good, the Gamepad has pretty much no lag(The image appears on the gamepad before the TV for me) and the UI itself is great. The Off-TV play is awesome and extremely useful,the Miiverse community is really nice with great, helpful people and awesome artists. You don't have any of the Xbox Live crap. The web browser simply blows other console browsers out of the water.One of the best parts is that you can play a video on the TV and continue browsing on the gamepad. Infact, now my Wii U has become my primary anime stream device.

The only thing i dislike is the long-ish load times, but as a Shogun 2 player, i'm pretty much used to waiting for the game to load :).

The Wii U has quite a few good games making the console worth the purchase. Nintendoland is surprisingly fun and addictive, especially when playing with friends/family. New Super Mario Brothers U looks stunning and has some of the best level design i've ever seen. The mechanics are more refined and smoother than the previous installments, making the game worth the purchase.

I'd recommend taking a look at some of the skill vids of NSMBU below:

Sonic All stars racing transformed is great and playing co-op where one person uses the gamepad screen and the other(s) use the TV is quite nice. It alleviates the age old problem of screen sharing to a great extent.

Overall I'm quite satisfied with my purchase and would recommend that non dudebro gamers buy it. The gamepad is extremely deceptive. It may not impress you when you initially see it, but when you use it you realize how awesome it is and begin to understand why Nintendo went with that design.

Even if it does not get much third party support, it has an entire array of awesome Nintendo games coming for it which make the purchase worthwhile.

The video which made me decide to go for a Wii U rather than just replace my ailing Wii:

EDIT: I forgot to mention, but waiting 7-12 days for the games to arrive is quite painful too. :(

EDIT 2: Since only one video got embedded, here is the playlist link: *www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL09w_clXh0S7GxFSqeu7yUqOH8IQU56BN

Last edited:
OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
8GB Wii U Basic Nixed?

The Wii U basic bundle is being recalled according to this. Price Drop/ New Bundles/ Ambassador Program 2.0 incoming?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nintendo Denies Recall of Wii U Basic Bundle

Dunno what the heck Nintendo is up to....:confused:

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Nintendo's Clarification About The 8GB Wii U Doesn't Clarify Much

GameCube controllers compatible with Wii U thanks to new adapter

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
Already read it before posting. I don't buy their comments actually.
Recalling 8gb units to balance stock doesn't sound like a genuine reason.

Recalling units that comprise less than 20% of the total sales but comprise about 50% of the stock doesn't make sense.

*gifrific.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

They are probably recalling some of it so that all the basic models are sold out at stores when they introduce the white premium model.

They'll probably convert the recalled models to 32gb ones and send them back.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Sadly, the clarification clarifies little and seems to still allow for the potential removal of the 8GB Basic on June 18.

GameStop doesn't appear to be "rebalancing" supply but instead intends to remove the lesser 8GB model. We've asked Nintendo for further clarification about whether the 8GB Basic is being discontinued. We'll let you know more, though it appears that the company's current priority is to disabuse anyone of the idea that the 8GB model was recalled, which is the language GameStop used in their notice to their stores—and which could imply malfunction rather than simply a decision not to sell the unit anymore.

There isn't any perfect reason behind this, but all are speculations. Nobody did things like this in the past, neither Sony nor Microsoft.
When did we last see the 120gb PS3 models getting called off to be converted into 320gb ones or 4gb slims(x-360) into 250gb ones? The reason is not full-proof. They could have publicly acknowledged the media or crowd, all by themselves instead of getting asked. They had to say something.

Nobody feels that gamestop is trying to re balance stock or something. They are simply getting rid of the 8gb model.
There can be a potential defect. Besides, an 8gb to 32 gb conversion isn't significant for the console which doesn't allow installation of games to its internal storage.
Besides, there's flash card reader and people can plug in external 32gb SD cards. This is why people are skeptical about this move.

Last edited:
OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
*i.minus.com/ibdDbvSXGP7600.gif

Nintendo is rebalancing the supply, not Gamestop. Sony didn't have to recall PS3s because they didn't have 1 mn+ consoles sitting in the pipeline not being sold at all. Nobody is buying them so if they didn't recall they would otherwise stay in stock for a long time. Recalling and refitting and repacking them as premium. I don't think either Nintendo or Gamestop would want a less profitable, lower selling version of a console sitting on shelves.

Once you cut through the PR flak their answer is very clear.

"We are reducing the amount of basics available in the market but we will still continue selling them for now".

Do you seriously expect them to tell us all their future plans due to what came up in a leak?

I'm not sure which console you are referring to with the line "console which doesn't allow installation of games to its internal storage". Please stay on topic in this thread and don't bring other consoles up without context.

If a defect came up in the hardware, as long as it was not in the storage, both models would be recalled, not just one. Consumer protection laws require that it be done for the consumers too so they would issue a recall for them and they would stop selling them.

How does having the ability to read flash memory make people skeptical of this move?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I'm not sure which console you are referring to with the line "console which doesn't allow installation of games to its internal storage". Please stay on topic in this thread and don't bring other consoles up without context.

If a defect came up in the hardware, as long as it was not in the storage, both models would be recalled, not just one. Consumer protection laws require that it be done for the consumers too so they would issue a recall for them and they would stop selling them.

How does having the ability to read flash memory make people skeptical of this move?

It would be a lot better if you stop using memes and animated gif's. It looks lowly.

Back to topic, i understand that the Wii-u OS takes 4.2gb of space out of 7.2gb available and i do understand that's quite less.
Even the SD cards won't support game installations. But afaik, external usb hdd's are supported including the capability of installing games.

The console isn't selling just because it has 8gb storage but there are lot other factors that we all know. Now this skepticism is not only from me but lot other reviewers too.
Gamestop is a very popular chain and is responsible for selling millions of consoles every year. So the course of actions taking place matters for most, who brought up this topic.

Now my question is - Will the move of upgrading to a 32gb flash really make a difference worth of recalling all 8gb units?
Doesn't this paint a bad picture? Whatever it is, i hope the real reason behind this motive is positive and not another act of desperation.

P.S- Are all wii-u games installable on its flash storage? You have a 32gb version right?
Does the installation makes difference in load times?

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
It would be a lot better if you stop using memes and animated gif's. It looks lowly.

Back to topic, i understand that the Wii-u OS takes 4.2gb of space out of 7.2gb available and i do understand that's quite less.
Even the SD cards won't support game installations. But afaik, external usb hdd's are supported including the capability of installing games.

The console isn't selling just because it has 8gb storage but there are lot other factors that we all know. Now this skepticism is not only from me but lot other reviewers too.
Gamestop is a very popular chain and is responsible for selling millions of consoles every year. So the course of actions taking place matters for most, who brought up this topic.

Now my question is - Will the move of upgrading to a 32gb flash really make a difference worth of recalling all 8gb units?
Doesn't this paint a bad picture? Whatever it is, i hope the real reason behind this motive is positive and not another act of desperation.

P.S- Are all wii-u games installable on its flash storage? You have a 32gb version right?
Does the installation makes difference in load times?

All the other factors are complete BS made by fanboys and Doom n Gloom Journalists
It is not selling because of one reason only
No much games.Face it.ppl got bored of ZombiU and *Mario game whose name i dont remember* and some other WII U launch games.They want more games.Games which Richtendo is taking time to release
"No Games" Is also the reason while Vita is failing so bad :lol:

Top Bottom