[NEWS] Shipit for free (k)ubuntu cd's now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

mvishnu

Broken In
rohandhruva said:
Yep, deviating you are.. Anyway,

*wiki.kubuntu.org/XglHowto

should help. The instructions remain the same for ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu.

thanks a lot... I cant wait to try it out... thanks to all the digit guys for giving us xgl on this months dvd

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I have two ids, I ordered Ubuntu from one and Kubuntu from another
Not to worry, simply login and cancel the order with one id and then order again with the other id, so that both orders(ubuntu and kubuntu) are with the same id.

For those wondering which to order or new to linux, simply go for kubuntu, as kde is closer to windows (imo)

Note that kubuntu cd can be used both to install and as a live cd :D and the OS will be officially supported for 3 years :D

Last edited:

saurabh.sauron

Ambassador of Buzz
i ordered both today. i might try the live cd (which is in the installation itself) of KDE first. Then i'll choose between ubuntu and kubuntu. thnx for suggestions.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
btw u don't need a cd to view the gui : *shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=631&slide=1

Last edited:

adit_sen

In the zone
sorry rohan, but i meant that for the entire post. regarding ordering free ubuntu cd's, its already been posted before at *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9925&highlight=free+cd

peace..
aditya

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
I knew about edubuntu, but I did not post it here, since imo, no one here needs it.. Like, hey, who here runs a school ? Anyway, enjoy ;)

thnx buddy!
But what is this "edubuntu" ?

Edubuntu is a specially designed version of ubuntu, made for kids and to be deployed in schools. It has kiddie games and typing tutors and such ..

For those wondering which to order or new to linux, simply go for kubuntu, as kde is closer to windows (imo)

Heh, is this anything like windows ? (Those are my kde screenshots)
*dhruva.be/files/screenshots/priyank.png
*dhruva.be/files/screenshots/scr1.jpg

Point is, you can customize both gnome and kde to look the way you want .. its just that some people instantly "click" with gnome or kde.I find kde better suited to new users .. but kubuntu-kde polish is not half as nice as ubuntu-gnome polish .. So, you will have to decide for yourself :)

Last edited:

vignesh

Wise Old Owl
Nice screenshot... Are you in orkut ? If you are I have my screenshot in my album..

Ya true KDE is more easy to adjust to for those who come from windows background...

Use Karamba to make your Desktop more cool..

navneeth_snr

Journeyman
rohandhruva said:
EXTREMELY BAD MOVE navneeth. You will cause ubuntu to pay two times for postage .. and its not cheap ! You are expected to order both ubuntu and kubuntu using the same i.d. -- then under that one id you will be able to see both the ubuntu as well as kubuntu requests. I request you to cancel your order from one i.d. and use the other i.d. to order from both ubuntu and kubuntu. You will save them postage, and redundancy. Seriously, ubuntu guys are very streamlined .. trust them ;)

Hi,

I couldn't make an order of 2 CDs totally, so I made like that. I canceled both on the same day as techno_funky replied and ordered in one id. Yaar, I just haven't edited the post in Digit.

So don't worry, I too care and trust Ubuntu.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
Recieved anybody??

here i am waiting not so patiently for my kubuntu cd. So has anyone recieved a cd yet? The status on the shipit page tells me that the cds were sent to the shipping company on 24th may. So thats 2 weeks past.
Surely it shouldn't take more than 2 weeks for the shipping company to send a cd. SO whats up?

Desperately waiting for dapper.... :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
@chesss wait up it takes some time. They have many orders. You will receive soon. It took me 1 month that was when demand was low. Right now demand is high cos dapper has just been released.
@ gary4gar
Ubuntu is basically based on GNOME, Kubuntu on KDE and Xubuntu on XFCE.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
They have many orders. You will receive soon. It took me 1 month that was when demand was low. Right now demand is high cos dapper has just been released.
but wouldnt they be spending stuff in bulk, hence a higher demand == faster delivery?

hehe.... got my 10 Ubuntu CDs today.... ordered a long time back......
Are they dapper (version 6)?

mehulved

chesss said:
but wouldnt they be spending stuff in bulk, hence a higher demand == faster delivery?
More orders = more cd's to be made = more hassles.
Well I don't know the whole actual process. Maybe you might find it on ubuntu's or launchpad's website

chesss said:
Are they dapper (version 6)?
Yes they are only shipping dapper now.

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
tech_your_future said:
Yes they are only shipping dapper now.
But he ordered the cds a long time back, while dapper has only been launched 1 week ago.

btw the status page says that they had sent the cds on 24th, but how is this possible as ubuntu was launched only on 1st june?

mehulved

chesss said:
But he ordered the cds a long time back, while dapper has only been launched 1 week ago.

btw the status page says that they had sent the cds on 24th, but how is this possible as ubuntu was launched only on 1st june?
I don't know the exact date but Ubuntu started taking orders for dapper only since last month or two. The CD's could be sent as they would have been ready by 24th. It has to be in the very first few batches. It was released on 1st of July cos, 1st of the month seems a nice date for release rather than say 25th or 26th.
Again, it is lot more work to set up servers for downloading CD's. Remember the CD's you download are not just in one location. It is spread over several servers worldwide. So, lot of things has to be taken care of. Well, if you want something more specific, chances are you'll get it in ubuntu's forum or maybe on ubuntu's site too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom