[NEWS] Shipit for free (k)ubuntu cd's now open

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohandhruva

Broken In
Hi,

The ShipIt store is now open. Free CD's of ubuntu and kubuntu can be ordered. Please limit yourself and order only a reasonable amount of CD's - you can always order one and burn many more, from it, for your friends :) Guys, they dont have an infinite wallet as some people tend to think :)

Anyway, enough of my lecture .. here we go.

Shipit for free Ubuntu CD's
Shipit for free KUbuntu CD's
Shipit for free edUbuntu CD's

Enjoy!

EDIT : I have to add this --

THIS IS FOR ALL USERS WHO WOULD LIKE TO HAVE BOTH UBUNTU AND KUBUNTU CD'S:

You can order both ubuntu and kubuntu cd's using the same id.
Now, heres what to do :

1) Go to *shipit.kubuntu.org and login using your id. Click on 1 Kubuntu CD, or how many ever you want. Enter your details below, and click on "Request CD".
2) Next, go to *shipit.ubuntu.com and again login using your id. Now, it will already show your request for 1 Kubuntu cd. Below, you can choose to change your order and request more ubuntu cds.

Done. Dont open 2 accounts -- they will need to pay double for shipping !

Rohan.

Edit2: Added edubuntu cd's.

Last edited:
B

Brat-Man

saurabh.sauron said:
i want to order but am confused about which one. pls help me? my system is ancient. running ubuntu right now.

Order Both!!

From Now On Ubuntu Only Ships what they call "Desktop CD"

Its Essentially a Live CD with a Installer that Powerfull..
More Like a Live GUI Installer..

No.. They Wont Ship Seperate Install CD's, You Gotta Download it Yourself..

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
saurabh.sauron said:
i want to order but am confused about which one. pls help me? my system is ancient. running ubuntu right now.

Get both, 1cd each, and try them out. I am a kde fan since minutes after using linux, so I cannot offer any views .. But they say the gnome polish that ubuntu gives far exceeds the kde polish.

Again, I'd advice you to order one of each, and stick to what you like. I am a KDE lover for live :)

navneeth_snr

Journeyman
saurabh.sauron said:

I have two ids, I ordered Ubuntu from one and Kubuntu from another

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
navneeth_snr said:
I have two ids, I ordered Ubuntu from one and Kubuntu from another

EXTREMELY BAD MOVE navneeth. You will cause ubuntu to pay two times for postage .. and its not cheap ! You are expected to order both ubuntu and kubuntu using the same i.d. -- then under that one id you will be able to see both the ubuntu as well as kubuntu requests. I request you to cancel your order from one i.d. and use the other i.d. to order from both ubuntu and kubuntu. You will save them postage, and redundancy. Seriously, ubuntu guys are very streamlined .. trust them ;)

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
hmm i wanted to try Kubuntu
have used ubuntu
wish they had a option 1 ubuntu cd 1 kubuntu cd
anyways since iam using ubuntu ordered ubuntu
thanks for the heads up
:)

Official Techie

In the zone
Kubuntu CDs are made specifically for various types of computers. The available architectures for Kubuntu are:
The PC Edition will run on almost all PCs. This includes Intel x86-based systems like Intel Pentium and AMD Athlon. Choose this if you are unsure.
The 64-bit PC Edition will run on computers based on the AMD64 or EM64T architecture (e.g., Athlon64, Opteron, EM64T Xeon).

1 Kubuntu CD (1 PC Edition)
1 Kubuntu CD (1 64-bit PC Edition)
5 Kubuntu CDs (5 PC Edition)
5 Kubuntu CDs (5 64-bit PC Edition)
10 Kubuntu CDs (8 PC Edition, 2 64-bit PC Edition)

what to choose i dont know

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
techno_funky said:
hmm i wanted to try Kubuntu
have used ubuntu
wish they had a option 1 ubuntu cd 1 kubuntu cd
anyways since iam using ubuntu ordered ubuntu
thanks for the heads up
:)

THIS IS TO ALL USERS WHO WOULD LIKE TO HAVE BOTH UBUNTU AND KUBUNTU CD'S:

You can order both ubuntu and kubuntu cd's using the same id. This is not a freemail account that you need to open 10 id's -- they use Launchpad account to keep track of bugs, wishlists, user statistics and so on.

Now, heres what to do :

1) Go to *shipit.kubuntu.org and login using your id. Click on 1 Kubuntu CD, or how many ever you want. Enter your details below, and click on "Request CD".
2) Next, go to *shipit.ubuntu.com and again login using your id. Now, it will already show your request for 1 Kubuntu cd. Below, you can choose to change your order and request more ubuntu cds.

Done. Dont open 2 accounts and such ! I am surprised no one here figured it out.

Rohan.

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
Official Techie said:
Kubuntu CDs are made specifically for various types of computers. The available architectures for Kubuntu are:
.. snip ..
what to choose i dont know

Choose 1 kubuntu cd, unless you have a 64 bit pc. Though I would recomend that you order one kubuntu and one ubuntu 32 bit cd, so you can make your decision between kde and gnome.

adit_sen said:
this has already been posted about before. pls search before you post..

peace..
aditya

If you mean that for me, show me where has this been posted before, for dapper drake, as a separate neat thread, with NEWS added in topic for better clarity ?

Official Techie said:
i m not a very much of linux user but i m using mandriva should i switch to kubuntu is it a better option

If you are not a linux fan, and you have perfetly working mandrive with which you are satisfied, then dont switch. It will only cause more tediousness and work. Even though ubuntu is superior to mandriva in the package management system - mandriva uses .rpm which, in my opinion, is old and obsolete.

In general, to those who cant decide, order one cd of both ubuntu and kubuntu. Then you can choose.

Cheers,
Rohan.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
If I am right Dapper Drake cd's given out will perform as live cd's as well as installer. Right? Then, what's the problem in ordering one even if you're not gonna install it. You can always use it as a live cd.
BTW, I am gonna upgrade my current Ubuntu installation instead of ordering cd's this time. My 256kbps connection is good enough, hope things go well.

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
mvishnu said:
Excuse me if i am deviating, but what will i need if I want to run XGL?

Yep, deviating you are.. Anyway,

*wiki.kubuntu.org/XglHowto

should help. The instructions remain the same for ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu.

B

Brat-Man

A Nice Processor..
512 MB Ram..
and a Good and cheap 3D Card like 5200 or Above (nVIDIA rocks! with XGL).
And Lots of Patience.. You May Screw up X Server sometimes..

Otherwise you're good to Go..

(I Had Posted some XGL Pics on the _other_ forum ^_^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom