New Scam on the Rise - Beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
We used to get so many mails with the heading ” You won the lottery … ” , ” Confidential : I have xxx,xxx,xxx,xxx $ …. ” , ” You have be chosen .. ” , Etc . When they first came into action , many innocent people fell into their trap and lost thousands. Today i wanted everyone to know that there is new scam rising in the world of SMS.!
It all started a few days back when my mom asked me to check her sms about a message she received that her mobile number has been chosen for a prize money. when i searched for the message and found it , i am surprised , simply because this has been there in Internet for years , Now in mobile ? WTH ? Hers was a BSNL number , so i thought some As$hole is sending some stupid message.
Today , I got a similar message. Take a look.
*farm3.static.flickr.com/2425/3940764212_78116b6201.jpg​
If you have ever come across or still haven’t , please inform your parents , relatives that these things are on prowl and to be careful. Many people , especially Indians are susceptible for these kind of scams. They think its from the Airtel / Bsnl / Idea , just like some other alert , they fail to see the difference between the spam and real alerts from the Mobile companies.
Please be free to comment and please do share this article if you think you want to spread the news and alert people.

Source : *urssiva.com/2009/09/21/a-new-scam-on-the-rise-beware/

Last edited:

swatkat

Technomancer
They are SMS versions of 419 scams a.k.a Nigerian scams. Some info can be found here:
*www.f-secure.com/weblog/archives/00001455.html
*www.resellersms.in/blog/the-mobile-version-of-the-famous-419-nigerian-scam/129
*teck.in/nigerian-email-419-scam-nigerian-national-arrested-in-kerala.html
*teck.in/nigerian-scam-nigerian-arrested-in-mumbai-for-conning-internet-users-in-india.html

Davidboon

In the zone
i too got one of the messages and that was form a number TA-CONGRATS , but from where are they getting our numbers ?

swatkat

Technomancer
i too got one of the messages and that was form a number TA-CONGRATS , but from where are they getting our numbers ?

There are *vendors* who sell mobile phone numbers to telemarketing, sms marketing companies and scammers. A quick Google search lead to these results:
*www.adoos.in/post/8217592/bangalore_mobile_number_database_
*www.adoos.in/post/6989735/mobile_number_database_is_for_saleupdated2009
*for-sale-buy.vivastreet.co.in/othe...e-number-database-of-all-over-india-/16998162

Now, how these "vendors" get/build database of mobile numbers in the first place? I suspect mobile service providers and private banks! I may be wrong, not sure.

Krow

Crowman
Keep getting such messages once every month or two. Always delete all my messages which have TA-**** in the senders name along with the stupid advertising messages by the Service Provider.

max_demon

IM AS MAD AS HELL!!
TA-*** numbers are sometimes from online services like SMS gupshup or google voice , it is sometimes from Reliance

clmlbx

Technomancer
my friend got this type of sms 3-4 months back , he was very happy and was going to call but (as the number was international means ISD call ) so he decided have talk with me & when I said to him it is a fraud, he was very disappointed ....

so guys be carefull

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Hmm, we ignore it but there are people out there who don't. It happened with some people I know. They received sms or email and were asked to send like Rs.30k in order to receive 3 crore or something and their financial condition being not awesome, they had 90% decided that they will send the money. My cousin told them that its not true but they fought with him that 'yea, you didn't receive and stuff so you won't let us send'. He kept quite. I kept quite. There is no update on that matter; nor we need one.

Krow

Crowman
^Yeah, a similar case took place here in Mumbai when a vada pav wala sold his shop and started a business for people where they had to pay some 20-30k in order to receive 3cr after a year. After a year and half, he was charged for swindling more that 52cr of people's money. How do people fall to such stuff? Maybe there are not enough earning opportunities for the middle class and the poor or maybe everybody is plain greedy. :(

OP
naveen_reloaded

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
^Yeah, a similar case took place here in Mumbai when a vada pav wala sold his shop and started a business for people where they had to pay some 20-30k in order to receive 3cr after a year. After a year and half, he was charged for swindling more that 52cr of people's money. How do people fall to such stuff? Maybe there are not enough earning opportunities for the middle class and the poor or maybe everybody is plain greedy. :(

indians are greedy.......:evil:

Krow

Crowman
^Hope they are in the right places, like greedy in terms of achievement. Every Indian should want to perform better and strive for a better lifestyle through hard work and not by swindling fellow Indians!!! :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom