Need Advice - R9 290x or R9 290

rock2702

Padawan
If you are contemplating crossfire in future,you need to get an 800-850 watt power supply.Unless you are overvolting your cpu and gpu a lot,850 watt psu would be sufficient. Since you got the reference 290, which runs hot and loud when overclocked, when you add your second 290 which should be reference as well, you don't need to overclock them as the performance in crossfire @stock clocks would be more than enough to get you 60+ fps @1440p in almost all the games.

Also you should look at getting 1440p 120hz single display like the qnix 2710 instead of going multi monitor.Get an 850 w psu like corsair hx 850 or antec hcg 850 psu for now and add your second 290 down the road.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
If you are contemplating crossfire in future,you need to get an 800-850 watt power supply.Unless you are overvolting your cpu and gpu a lot,850 watt psu would be sufficient. Since you got the reference 290, which runs hot and loud when overclocked, when you add your second 290 which should be reference as well, you don't need to overclock them as the performance in crossfire @stock clocks would be more than enough to get you 60+ fps @1440p in almost all the games.

Also you should look at getting 1440p 120hz single display like the qnix 2710 instead of going multi monitor.Get an 850 w psu like corsair hx 850 or antec hcg 850 psu for now and add your second 290 down the road.

Hey Mate,
Many thanks for the suggestion. I am also thinking of buying a single 1440p Monitor rather using 2 displays.

Anyway, since I'm now having some monetary problems I am buying a 750 Seasonic. Will give it to my brother few months later if I contemplate to buy anther r9 290.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
^ For Single gpu you won't need 750w psu. Stick with 650w

I would suggest Seasonic M12II-650 650 @ 6.8k

Cilus

laborare est orare
How about a little cheaper alternative, Seasonic SS-750JS 80+ PSU @ 5.6K in theitwares.com? BTW, FX-8150 needs to be overclocked a little for avoiding bottlenck of the GPU. Try 3.7 to 4GHz with a cooler like Hyper 212 EVO or DeepCool Ice Blade Pro.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Hello,

I have attached the card and connected it to my monitor through HDMI but in my monitor it's showing ' STANDARD VGA ADAPTER' and also no such information related to my card in the CATALYST CONTROL CENTER or in DEVICE MANAGER

PLEASE HELP

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
did you remove the previous vga card driver. If not do it from safe mode and run driver fusion next to remove any potential driver files, registry entries. Install new driver.

If the issue still is not solved connect the monitor using dvi, install driver and then connect monitor using hdmi.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
did you remove the previous vga card driver. If not do it from safe mode and run driver fusion next to remove any potential driver files, registry entries. Install new driver.

If the issue still is not solved connect the monitor using dvi, install driver and then connect monitor using hdmi.

Ok I have installed new driver and its detecting the card now.
But my monitor have VGA port and i have to use the Vga port to connect with Card as the HDMI output on the card will be used to transmit audio for my ampliflier for true audio.

Now, this card have 2 DVI-D dual Link ports and whenever I am using a DV-D dual link(24+1 pin) adapter I bought from market for 150 INR the monitor is getting no signal and showing message.

Can anyone tell whether this Dvi-D dual link port can be converted to vga or not as I have read its not possible for Dual link is Digital only.

Please enlighten me a bit

Ok I have installed new driver and its detecting the card now.
But my monitor have VGA port and i have to use the Vga port to connect with Card as the HDMI output on the card will be used to transmit audio for my ampliflier for true audio.

Now, this card have 2 DVI-D dual Link ports and whenever I am using a DV-D dual link(24+1 pin) adapter I bought from market for 150 INR the monitor is getting no signal and showing message.

Can anyone tell whether this Dvi-D dual link port can be converted to vga or not as I have read its not possible for Dual link is Digital only.

Please enlighten me a bit

Must be a problem with the adapter. Even I used a DVI to VGA adapter previously. Check the pins on DVI side of adapter and the DVI port on graphic card where you are attaching it.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Must be a problem with the adapter. Even I used a DVI to VGA adapter previously. Check the pins on DVI side of adapter and the DVI port on graphic card where you are attaching it.

I have purchased to different adapters from 2 well recognized shop in kolkata. Both are having same issues.
Can it be the fault of the Card itself , I really fear it ?

My DVI is - 24 pins +1 long pin and using this adapter

Amazon.com: CE Compass DVI DVI-D Dual Link Male To VGA Adapter For HDTV LCD: Electronics

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
DVI-D to VGA will not work. You'll need to buy a fairly expensive active adapter for it which these dukaan waalas will not have. It will involve digital to analog conversion.

DVI-I to VGA works because DVI-I has analog pins as well. Simply discards the digital signal and forwards the analog. DVI-D does not have analog pins.

R9 290 have only digital outputs. Really good to not have 25 year old signal.

Time for a new monitor for you or buy Display Port to VGA adapter. These are again expensive.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if possible get this :
Amazon.com : StarTech.com DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter - 1920x1200 - Display Port / DP Adapter M/F : Dvi Video Cables : Electronics

BTW, what's the manufacturer and model of the monitor you have ?

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
DVI-D to VGA will not work. You'll need to buy a fairly expensive active adapter for it which these dukaan waalas will not have. It will involve digital to analog conversion.

DVI-I to VGA works because DVI-I has analog pins as well. Simply discards the digital signal and forwards the analog. DVI-D does not have analog pins.

R9 290 have only digital outputs. Really good to not have 25 year old signal.

Time for a new monitor for you or buy Display Port to VGA adapter. These are again expensive.

I Agree, but I am a bit shortage in money can I possibly connect to VGA ? Is this above cable available in india?

This R90 is really SOmething Huge in all way, the True audio think has really having strong impact in my Speakers.

What monitor can i buy at lowest ?

if possible get this :
Amazon.com : StarTech.com DisplayPort to VGA Video Adapter Converter - 1920x1200 - Display Port / DP Adapter M/F : Dvi Video Cables : Electronics

BTW, what's the manufacturer and model of the monitor you have ?

I am having LG 21.5 inch LED that only have VGA

here are the Pics

*i42.tinypic.com/33bny1x.jpg

*i40.tinypic.com/357ocpe.jpg

*i40.tinypic.com/mkjas7.jpg

Attachments

• XM0J4235.jpg
    XM0J4235.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 81
  • XM0J4236 cop22y.jpg
    XM0J4236 cop22y.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 82
  • XM0J4354 copy.jpg
    XM0J4354 copy.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Just Purchased a Monitor- I am now fine with the DVI cable.

BENQ GAMING MONITOR 24" RL2450H (RL2450H - - - 13,100.00)

Would like to Get Reviews on this please -

Batman - AK Origins is giving 100 Fps on average

Thanks

Thanks

At everything max (Except PhysX)? Then it's awesome. Try Crysis 3 in hardcore.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

Thanks

Congrats and read on ;) :D

BenQ RL2450H monitor Review - Monitors - none - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia
BenQ RL2450H RTS Gaming Monitor Review | TheGamersPad
Hardware Review: BenQ RL2450H RTS Monitor | games.on.net

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

Thanks

congrats on the purchase ;)

Top Bottom