Need Advice - R9 290x or R9 290

ASHISH65

Technomancer
850 W is totally enough for the complete config and hence, no need of connecting it with a separate PSU.

Why rofl, it is totally possible. Many overclockers do that.

Instead of posting emoticons, answer the question.

Apologies:oops: i took that statement in wrong way.

@op

A second PSU will not power on properly without the 24pin main connector attached. It is possible by use of a signal wire to start it, but it will not be necessary.After installing 2 psu the second PSU will not power off when you shut down your pc.Yes ALL these can be Solved by using connector though, but just think of the extra heat your going to generate, plus your going to have to rig the secondary psu's switch to the main psu so it comes on at the same time, lots of hassle and engineering to consider.

Better get A single 850w psu instead of all those Troubles

Yes Harsil you are right,
I dont have enough money to buy a psu now so was thinking to buy anything around 400 watt and connect with GPU.
My current PSU is CM 600 watt do you think it would be enough for single GPU?

> It's Harshil, not Harsil :)

> Please mention the exact model of the PSU.

Is the corsair TX 850 enough to run 2 of these in crossfire?

Yes, with an Intel CPU but nit with AMD CPU like FX 8320 or FX 8350. It would need ~800 W which is very close to the PSU's max wattage so it isn't recommended. Plus, you cannot overclock the CPU after doing that as it would exceed the PSU's max rated Wattage.

You can use this online tool to get recommended PSU wattage for a config; eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
depending on the model of the CM PSU this may or may not be enough to handle a single R9 290 [x] Post the model no. of the CM PSU.

BTW, what's that Corsair 650 in your siggy ? If it's TX 650 then it's enough to handle the new gpu ;)

Sorry Top, I only have a Coolermaster 600 Watt and not CORSAIR- SIG CHNAGED

do you think it can handle single r9 290?

> It's Harshil, not Harsil :)

> Please mention the exact model of the PSU.

I have Cooler MAster 600 watt .
and I want to connect the GPU with Corsair CX400W .

Will it work just for few months? I will get a good single PSU once I get money to crossfire.

Sorry Top, I only have a Coolermaster 600 Watt and not CORSAIR- SIG CHNAGED

do you think it can handle single r9 290?

I have Cooler MAster 600 watt .
and I want to connect the GPU with Corsair CX400W .

Will it work just for few months? I will get a good single PSU once I get money to crossfire.

It isn't recommended with low-end PSU's. Better sell both the current PSU's and get a single good PSU.

Techguy

In the zone
None of the cards run at 94 degree C, that is the max temp they can handle.

Umm.. actualy they do run at 94C.

The new powertune software allows them to max out at 94C before throttling them, so althought both the cards are throttling A LOT, they are actually running at 94C. This is because as they warm up, they run at their max clock speeds (i.e. 1ghz for the R9 290X). Since the stock cooler is'int good enough, as soon as the GPU crosses 95C, it is throttled to around 700 mhz. As soon as it falls below 90C, the clocks speed increase once again.. However after sometime, the clocks normalize at around 700-900Mhz, depending on your fan speed.

So what AMD is trying to do is they aloow you to hit 94C, but once you throttle, the clcoks drop, so you can increase the fan speed and sacrifice silence, so indirectly, the fan speed affects the clocks of the GPU, as faster fan speed pushes more air = more cooling = more heat can be produced cause its dissipated faster = GPU can clock higher.

Cilus

laborare est orare
What does it mean bro? It means that the PWM logic never letting the cards run at temperature such high like 94 degree. Whenever, they are closer to that, the logic is downclocking it to reduce the tekmperature. They run at 95 degree means they are running at it for some times, not just touching it and then get reduced. However, now the R9 290 Fan runs at 45% and the PWM logic bug hyas been updated in the Catalyst Driver. So heating issue is not coouring any more.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
It isn't recommended with low-end PSU's. Better sell both the current PSU's and get a single good PSU.

Alright, but if I only connect the GPU only with 400 CX Corsair, will that be of any problem other that heat generation and cabinet getting junky?

Techguy

In the zone
What does it mean bro? It means that the PWM logic never letting the cards run at temperature such high like 94 degree. Whenever, they are closer to that, the logic is downclocking it to reduce the tekmperature. They run at 95 degree means they are running at it for some times, not just touching it and then get reduced. However, now the R9 290 Fan runs at 45% and the PWM logic bug hyas been updated in the Catalyst Driver. So heating issue is not coouring any more.

Yes.. the drivers have infact been updated to increase fan speed, but this does not reduce temperatures because the card continues to run at 94C. However, the increase in fan speed has improved cooling, which allows the card to higher frequencies... but it's still running at 94C

As i have repeatedly said, AMD allows the cards to run upto 94C. However, once this temp has been reached, the fan speed is increased (till the max depending on the BIOS.. ). However I think for the R9 290 cards, the max fan speed is around 2200 rpm (or 2500), im not sure. After this it will throttle be by downclocking in decrements.

This means FAN SPEED ~ frequency attain = performance.

Faster your fans... more cooling.. higher clocks...

Consider a custom card.. the cooler is very good.. so as the card warms up to say 80C, the card runs at it's max 1Ghz clock.. now as it heats up even more.. the fan speed increases.. and temps decrease.. and stabilize..

But the problem is the stock cooler is not good enough, because of which the card runs at it's max allowed 94C to try at attain it's max frequency.... however it is throttlign a bit.. which is why it runs at ~900Mhz.

It prioritizes frequencies first.. then fan speed.. and controls all of this according to temperature.

So it tries to run at 1ghz.. as soon as it hits it's temp limit i.e. 94C.. it increase fan speeds..
So if the cooler was good it would run at 1ghz at all times with lower fan speeds with a temp a bit lower than 90C

This is because the temperature here is limiting performance of the R9 290.. There simply isint enoguh thermal headroom to allow the card to run at its max frequency.. which is why it's down clocking and reducing performance..

AMD's update increases fan speeds to improve cooling. This could lead to 2 things:

Same frequency but with lower temps.. Or same temps with higher frequency.. AMD went with the 2nd option..

Multiple power supplies shouldnt be an issue.. All you need for a power supply to start is to connect those 2 pins on the 20+4 pin header.. So you could always add a switch to the outside of your cabinet and use it to control your secondary PSU.

Or you could even connect the wires to the same cable of the other PSU.. like you know.. in parallel.. But that'll be more messy..

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
I'm no expert on this. Take a look at this article: Multiple Power supply Guide

Look , I am just trying to know if there is possibility i can supply power directly to gpu with a 400 watt psu of Corsair.

Please let me know this much else I would buy TX 850 corsair

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Look , I am just trying to know if there is possibility i can supply power directly to gpu with a 400 watt psu of Corsair.

Please let me know this much else I would buy TX 850 corsair

i suggest to get a single good psu.

Top Bottom