Need Advice - R9 290x or R9 290

I am having FX 8150 , 8 GB Ram . What else you you need to know?

graphic card, any lightning you'll be using and how much you'll overclock the CPU and GPU.

Also, you may use this online tool to calculate minimum and recommended PSU wattage for a config: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
graphic card, any lightning you'll be using and how much you'll overclock the CPU and GPU.

Also, you may use this online tool to calculate minimum and recommended PSU wattage for a config: eXtreme Power Supply Calculator

Many Thanks man for the Calculator, its recommending 830W for 290x Xfire

So I think 850 is more than enough.

Ya I may tweak my CPU a bit but nor much.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Keep 75-80 W minimum headroom. 850w psu is not recommended for the config you're planning.

Go above 900W and that too from a good make.

Refer this:

HARDOCP - Introduction - 4 Weeks with Radeon R9 290X CrossFire

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Make sure you have your ac on, and a very proper side fanned (200mm/230mm) top exhaust (200mm/230mm) cabinet when playing games on a 290x crossfire, all the time from march onwards (India),or be ready for Rmas on a half yearly basis. Get a 1Kw PSU.

Now the best suggestion skip Crossfire if at all dual cards go SLi.

My personal opinion others might differ and have their own views on this.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Make sure you have your ac on, and a very proper side fanned (200mm/230mm) top exhaust (200mm/230mm) cabinet when playing games on a 290x crossfire, all the time from march onwards (India),or be ready for Rmas on a half yearly basis. Get a 1Kw PSU.

Now the best suggestion skip Crossfire if at all dual cards go SLi.

My personal opinion others might differ and have their own views on this.

I will Xfire 290 and not 290X.
But if there is so problem in Xfire then I would like to know why as I will buy a stock model so that it helps me to create Xfire with out any hassel.

^^ Keep 75-80 W minimum headroom. 850w psu is not recommended for the config you're planning.

Go above 900W and that too from a good make.

Refer this:

HARDOCP - Introduction - 4 Weeks with Radeon R9 290X CrossFire

So, which one should I buy for 900+ watt mark?

First, just realize whether you really need multi-gpu setup or not. Single 290 is perfectly enough for single monitor up-to 1440p. 290 XFire will be required when using 2-4 such monitors.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Be very careful to tackle the heat the two 290 will produce. A Corsair 400R/CM690 are not at all the cabinets for it. Look at a NZXT Phantom or a CM Storm Trooper. Though the Phantom is an ideal candidate for better cooling air and water.The Phantom has that monstrous 166 CFM side intake fan with two 88CFM 200mm on top as exhaust along with three other intakes 120/140mm on the side and front! If you skimp cooling with those two cards one of the card is bound to fail because of heat generated by the other,since they will be stuck to each other.

Next is the Accoustics,these cards are noisy.And two of them are very noisy.But for the performance it doles out ,I really dont care about the noise.

When its two cards,Sli has an edge in terms of driver support. Its a proven fact time and again. But for a single card get the R9 290 eyes closed

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
The cheapest 1 kW PSU available on fipkart if Seasonic SS1050-XM priced at 15.8k. Corsair HX1000 W is the best though.

So are you suggesting I should opt a 1k W psu rather than Seasonic 850W?
If that's the case then I think its better to keep the money for now and buy a GS 700 watt to suffice my need and later buy a 1kW psu

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why do you need a R9 290 or X crossfire?

You going multi monitor? or playing at 4K?

If you're gaming @ 1080p, single card is more than enough. Crossfire is overkill.

When its two cards,Sli has an edge in terms of driver support. Its a proven fact time and again. But for a single card get the R9 290 eyes closed
HARDOCP - Conclusion - AMD Radeon R9 290X CrossFire Video Card Review

The new CrossFire technology has improved upon the CrossFire experience in a vastly positive way. Playing games on the Radeon R9 290X CrossFire configuration was a smooth experience. In fact, it was smoother than SLI in some games. It was also smoother on the 4K display at 3840x2160 gaming, and it was noticeably smoother in Eyefinity at 5760x1200.

Times have changed. R9 290* series handle Crossfire way differently.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Why do you need a R9 290 or X crossfire?

You going multi monitor? or playing at 4K?

If you're gaming @ 1080p, single card is more than enough. Crossfire is overkill.

HARDOCP - Conclusion - AMD Radeon R9 290X CrossFire Video Card Review

Times have changed. R9 290* series handle Crossfire way differently.

Yes Ico, I may have multi-monitor set up few months later.

Ok , now tell me plz Can I get Antech 700W psu for now and later change to a good 1kw psu?

Really , after bringing in the Mantle Amd has gained a huge Hike regarding Xfire .

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes Ico, I may have multi-monitor set up few months later.

Ok , now tell me plz Can I get Antech 700W psu for now and later change to a good 1kw psu?

Really , after bringing in the Mantle Amd has gained a huge Hike regarding Xfire .
May is not the answer.

Then buy the second card when you have a multi-monitor setup. By then the non-reference R9 series cards with custom cooling will be out. At least one card will run cooler.

Buy single for now. Two are not needed.

May is not the answer.

Then buy the second card when you have a multi-monitor setup. By then the non-reference R9 series cards with custom cooling will be out. At least one card will run cooler.

The main question is still unanswered: should OP get a 1 kW PSU now or upgrade later?

You should first make it absolutely clear if you'll be going multi-monitor later cause if you didn't, the PSU would be a waste.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
May is not the answer.

Ya Bought single r9 290 of ASUS . Costed around 34k . Adding the Pics soon.

Please tell should I go for antech 750 w psu for now?

Ya Bought single r9 290 of ASUS . Costed around 34k . Adding the Pics soon.

Please tell should I go for antech 750 w psu for now?

Buddy, you don't look sure with a multi-monitor setup. If you go with it later, then buying a 700 W PSU now and 1 kW PSU later will make you end up spending more. If you have any doubts on multi-monitor setup, I suggest to skip the idea and enjoy the games in 1080p with all eye candies with single 290.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Your present Corsair is good enough for the R9 290,its only when,if at all you go for a dual card set up then you would require a beefier PSU.

Top Bottom