NEED Advice For Buying Graphics Card- GTX 780,770 or HD 7970 Vaporx

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
GTX 780 is the second fastest single gpu - so if you can go with it without any second thought.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
In fact some of the Factory OC 780 surpress GTX Titan's performance.

Then i am going for the OC versions.

Ok Guys?

GTX 780 is the second fastest single gpu - so if you can go with it without any second thought.

Ok TOP

Ok, so I just called SMC international and they said ASUS DC2 version will not be available for around 2 months due to over demand.

Gigabyte OC version they have for 47K ,..... god Too much Pricey:eeksign:

What to do Guys????

rock2702

Padawan
Then i am going for the OC versions.

Ok Guys?

Ok TOP

Ok, so I just called SMC international and they said ASUS DC2 version will not be available for around 2 months due to over demand.

Gigabyte OC version they have for 47K ,..... god Too much Pricey:eeksign:

What to do Guys????

Do they have the asus dc2 version in stock?

If they are quoting 47k including tax for the gigabyte windforce oc version of the 780, you can go ahead and buy it.

Else if you don't get any non-reference 780, go for a reference 780,the titan cooler looks better than any non reference cooler and also keeps the temps down.A single 780 is enough for your needs.

Look for upgrading next when maxwell or volcanic island gpu's come out in q3 or q4 2014.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum

If they are quoting 47k including tax for the gigabyte windforce oc version of the 780, you can go ahead and buy it.

Else if you don't get any non-reference 780, go for a reference 780,the titan cooler looks better than any non reference cooler and also keeps the temps down.A single 780 is enough for your needs.

Look for upgrading next when maxwell or volcanic island gpu's come out in q3 or q4 2014.

Thanks Rock,
I will go for a oc Version or sure.
I have planned to do a High Resolution set up in coming days.

I am still waiting for Cilus Advice....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member

leap of faith ;-) SMC is good at providing after sales support .. so no issue on this but still I prefer DC2 most but if you like stock coler primeabgb has the sus GTX 780 with stock cooler at 49.5k though call/mail them to know about the exact price .....

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
I think Gigabyte GTX 780 OC @ 47K is a real good choice. Most of the reviews have shown that when overclocked properly, GTX 780 can suppress the gaming performance of GTX Titan in mot of games. Now Arnab, tell me one thing; are you planning to SLI to GTX 780 in future and getting the 1st one for now? If not then you can get two GTX 760 which is priced similarly lile a GTX 660 (around 20 to 21K) and SLI them. Their performance is way over single GTX 780 and comes almost 8K cheaper. Nvidia also has better driver support for SLI

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
I would suggest to wait for AMD's Curacao and Hainan cards. Curacao is supposed to be a competitor of 780. If AMD can price them competitively as well as perform above expectations, then bagging one of them will be a very good idea. I suggest to wait a while. 47k is indeed a big amount and will hurt a lot if curacao will perform like 780 costing 35k.

Btw check the latest 780 sli review

*hardocp.com/article/2013/08/06/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_sli_video_card_review#.UgH4o5JTAzI

They give a much better experience than 3 7970 ghz tri-fire. Radeons are indeed a disaster currently at eyefinity resolutions.
No wonder our forum member d3p was troubled so much.

Last edited:
OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
I think Gigabyte GTX 780 OC @ 47K is a real good choice. Most of the reviews have shown that when overclocked properly, GTX 780 can suppress the gaming performance of GTX Titan in mot of games. Now Arnab, tell me one thing; are you planning to SLI to GTX 780 in future and getting the 1st one for now? If not then you can get two GTX 760 which is priced similarly lile a GTX 660 (around 20 to 21K) and SLI them. Their performance is way over single GTX 780 and comes almost 8K cheaper. Nvidia also has better driver support for SLI

Yes Cilus, I am quite sure to SLI in coming days.Within-5-6 months may be. I just need some advance architecture that will keep me in front a bit.
Now you say What should I do.
Also, will it fruitful to wait for AMD Cards coming in? How sure they will hit the market in OCTOBER?

I would suggest to wait for AMD's Curacao and Hainan cards. Curacao is supposed to be a competitor of 780. If AMD can price them competitively as well as perform above expectations, then bagging one of them will be a very good idea. I suggest to wait a while. 47k is indeed a big amount and will hurt a lot if curacao will perform like 780 costing 35k.

Btw check the latest 780 sli review

*hardocp.com/article/2013/08/06/nvidia_geforce_gtx_780_sli_video_card_review#.UgH4o5JTAzI

They give a much better experience than 3 7970 ghz tri-fire. Radeons are indeed a disaster currently at eyefinity resolutions.
No wonder our forum member d3p was troubled so much.

I know HD 7970 Is good but the problem is its already been quite a few days since it released and new GPUs will hit the market soon .

But it will be too late to wait for AMD Gpus as you cant be sure they will hit the market in October, Can you?

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
In GCN architecture, AMD has designed their memory modules not for just higher bandwidth but for superior computing power too. They are designed in such a manner that programmers will find it easy to program with GPU computing based languages. In fact wider memory bus does have higher performance impact when coupled with wider memory bus. In GCN, AMD actually brought best of the both world, not just gaming performance or Compute performance.If you look at it closely, you will find it is more like a CPU buss of a many core CPU architecture where multiple cluster of memory bus can access Video Ram simultaneously and assign threads more efficiently to the different compute engines fo better efficiency and resource utilization. Also the design is suitable for X86 type memory management techniques which helps the programmers greatly to optimize the code blocks.
In Kepler design, nVidia almost completely omits the GPU computing part and focused on pre gaming performance. Their memory bus is more like fetching as much data as possible in every clock cycle to feed the CUDA cores. Now in gaming, the design is the best case as here GPU needs to perform very limited number of operations over millions of pixels and coordinates. But in case of general programming, not all the time, you have a huge chunk of data available for a single operation. Here the data needs be divided into smaller groups based on the type of instructions which are needed to be operated over them. in that case, more number of memory bus clusters (384 bit bus is divided into 6 chunks of memory controller of 64 bit width, each handling 512 MB of memory Block), can independently fetch data from their respective memory locations simultaneously and assign them to different memory compute engines. It also makes Thread scheduling more easier.

After reading this I might get inclined to waiting for the Upcoming AMD GPUs .
As far as I know , AMD wont do much of Price hike if its bringing in R9 D970 with 25% Performance increase to that of HD 7970 Ghz Edi.
*videocardz.com/45324/possible-specs-of-the-amd-volcanic-islands-hawaii-gpu

It needs to compete with Gtx 700 Series so I am hoping the price will be well enough within 40K .

What ALL of you say now??? Am I doing Right ?

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
waiting for the Upcoming AMD GPUs .

May make sense but cannot say how long you have to wait(this kind of wait may prolong forever)
Cause the current driver has brought hell of difference also since you are gaming @ 1440p AMD seems sensible...

*www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_770_Lightning/6.html

I found these benchmarks very interesting.
AMD cards perform relatively better above 1080p.

*www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_770_Lightning/6.html

I found these benchmarks very interesting.
AMD cards perform relatively better above 1080p.

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Armab, you can go for this instead. Makes much sense:

Radeon HD 7990 Price Cut to $799 After Catalyst 13.8 Release

Last edited:
OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Armab, you acn go for this instead. Makes much:

Radeon HD 7990 Price Cut to $799 After Catalyst 13.8 Release

Hey Man surely i can. and latter either i will xfire or not that doesn't even matter.
For how much do you think i will gt this? within 50k ?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
^^ Arnab i think 7990 isn't available in online shops in India now. The stocks must have exhausted.
Wait for the new prices to reflect here in India. Contact your nearest dealer like MD computers or Vedant.

Contact Cilus if possible. :)

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
^^ Arnab i think 7990 isn't available in online shops in India now. The stocks must have exhausted.
Wait for the new prices to reflect here in India. Contact your nearest dealer like MD computers or Vedant.

Contact Cilus if possible. :)

Thanks, I am waiting. You please update if you see anything...
Cilus is already looking into the thread , let see what he says.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Here is something Inspiring i saw,

AMD to Announce GPU Codenamed Hawaii in Hawaii Sept 25 - Bright Side Of News*

Please folks, update me on this.

Thanks

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
the upcoming flagship gpu from AMD is supposed to give better performance than Titan - now if this happens the price of Titan is going to fall. Now HD7990 with reduced price looks like a better option but still AMD needs to fix the short comings of FPF [ frame pacing fix ] driver very quickly to make HD7990 more attractive. Now with all these chnages with team red nvidia won't sit silently and may release some new products too after that.

Anyway, so now you have three options :

1. Get the flagship AMD gpu after it's release on this year and CF later by adding one more later.
2. Get 2x Titan or GTX 780 if the prices comes down after the release of of the above.
3. Get a HD7990 with updated price but this may cost you 55-60k and wait for better driver.

BTW, I've a little question : 2x HD7970 GHz in CF or one HD7990 which one is better in terms of heat generation [ runs coolers ], consumes less power and is more durable [ read gpu lasts long ] ??

S.S gadgets

Broken In
Of Course, a single HD 7990 is better in terms of low heat generation , consumes less power than 2* 7970 GHZ edition and low noise too...

Single 7990 is the best option rather than opting 2* 7970 with stuttering issues in CF.

AMD needs to be more conscious about the new upcoming drivers :twisted:

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
the upcoming flagship gpu from AMD is supposed to give better performance than Titan - now if this happens the price of Titan is going to fall. Now HD7990 with reduced price looks like a better option but still AMD needs to fix the short comings of FPF [ frame pacing fix ] driver very quickly to make HD7990 more attractive. Now with all these chnages with team red nvidia won't sit silently and may release some new products too after that.

Anyway, so now you have three options :

1. Get the flagship AMD gpu after it's release on this year and CF later by adding one more later.
2. Get 2x Titan or GTX 780 if the prices comes down after the release of of the above.
3. Get a HD7990 with updated price but this may cost you 55-60k and wait for better driver.

BTW, I've a little question : 2x HD7970 GHz in CF or one HD7990 which one is better in terms of heat generation [ runs coolers ], consumes less power and is more durable [ read gpu lasts long ] ??

Hm, I am much interested to go in for HD 7990 but .

Does the price cut has yet been active in India? I saw amazon selling at just $699 so how much would you expect it to be here?
And, what would be the Cost of Hawaii do you think ?

rock2702

Padawan
If you have waited this long, I would advice you to w8 for the amd next gen gpu's to see how they stack up against the titan and 780 and also the pricing.If they are priced well and outperform a 780, you can go for a 9950, as I am almost sure that it will be 5-7% slower than a 9970 while being 20-25% cheaper.Then later you can add another 9950 in cfx for unmatched performance :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom