NEED Advice For Buying Graphics Card- GTX 780,770 or HD 7970 Vaporx

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDIF

Custom User Title
If you want to mine bitcoins, then AMD all the way. Besides, there are specialized FPGA miners which are built for mining only and have very high hash rates.
They will be ideal IMO. But adobe creative suite favors Nvidia as it supports CUDA. So you're going for a 780? :)

Wow you've already purchased the 780 ? Congrats man. :)
What about the 680? Won't you RMA it through some contacts?

Yup dude, I've ordered it and they have shipped it but due to $ fluctuation and low price of Indian Rupee I got it for almost 47k. And it is Zotac.
I think the card will arrive on Tuesday or Monday at the best, the I will see what all the fuss is about GTX 780.
I won't be RMAing my 680 but when I go to Delhi I will make sure to visit some GFX repair person. If they can make it work then I will use this as PhysX card, if not then it will decorate my computer junk.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
And buddy either way you wouldn't be mining bitcoins with just one 7970. That is low spec for mining.
Ya, Its really Low Spec and I would certainly not do that. I have planned to push Xfire within couple of months.

If you want to mine bitcoins, then AMD all the way. Besides, there are specialized FPGA miners which are built for mining only and have very high hash rates.
They will be ideal IMO. But adobe creative suite favors Nvidia as it supports CUDA. So you're going for a 780?

I am still not convinced enough to go for Nvidia mate. dont know why, there may be some feeling about amd that gets hold on my mind and replace nvidia. Please dont misunderstand me , its just a personal thing.

I need to think few more days and listen to some more suggestions.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ya, Its really Low Spec and I would certainly not do that. I have planned to push Xfire within couple of months.

I am still not convinced enough to go for Nvidia mate. dont know why, there may be some feeling about amd that gets hold on my mind and replace nvidia. Please dont misunderstand me , its just a personal thing.

if yuou want you can wait for the new AMDS drivers which is supposed to fix frame timing/latency ise and then go for 2x HD7950s ;-)

My old GTX 680 4GB was too good for Adobe LightRoom, you can see instant result in high quality raw images as soon as you apply any filter or change. So I think we can expect good performance boost with 780.
And just rest assured as soon as I get the card delivered to my doorsteps, I will test the main applications/games and post the result.

where from you ordered this and don't forget to register your card within 14 days of purchase to get the benefit of 5 years warranty.

DDIF

Custom User Title
As much as I hate to admit it, nVidia has better binary driver support for both Windows and Linux ATM. I had AMD 6850 also, I always struggled with their binary drivers in Linux to get full performance.
But then AMD did surprise me by releasing their GFX Datasheet and by helping devs make better open-source drivers for AMD cards but still it lacks much in Linux (which I use more than I use Windows).
After my card went kaput, I was really thinking of going back to AMD but then I thought about 3D gaming and my good friends here at TDF gave me good advise to change my mind. I still might buy some AMD GFX which they launch next, provided they fix their drivers also. So last chance before buying, get your priorities straight bro.
where from you ordered this and don't forget to register your card within 14 days of purchase to get the benefit of 5 years warranty.
I bought it from GolchhaIT, I will register as soon as I get it, thanks for this info.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
if yuou want you can wait for the new AMDS drivers which is supposed to fix frame timing/latency ise and then go for 2x HD7950s
I wouldnt go for HD 7950s, I will Have 2 HD 7970s Either of ASUS or Gigabyte.Do you think that would be a fair choice?
Or Should I go with GTX 780 ?

As much as I hate to admit it, nVidia has better binary driver support for both Windows and Linux ATM. I had AMD 6850 also, I always struggled with their binary drivers in Linux to get full performance.
But then AMD did surprise me by releasing their GFX Datasheet and by helping devs make better open-source drivers for AMD cards but still it lacks much in Linux (which I use more than I use Windows).
After my card went kaput, I was really thinking of going back to AMD but then I thought about 3D gaming and my good friends here at TDF gave me good advise to change my mind. I still might buy some AMD GFX which they launch next, provided they fix their drivers also. So last chance before buying, get your priorities straight bro.

Very True mate.
But I have a soft Corner for AMD so I think I will maintain that till I am at the brink , that would convinced me to have Nvdia and SLI rather than Xfiring HD 7970s.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
They will be ideal IMO. But adobe creative suite favors Nvidia as it supports CUDA. So you're going for a 780? :)
Adobe is going the neutral way with CS6 + future. Starting to phase out CUDA in some software. Mac OS X = most revenue for Adobe, even more than Windows. New Mac Pro = GCN.

*semiaccurate.com/2012/04/24/adobe-accellerates-cs6-with-opencl/

Adobe Creative Suite 6: Bye bye CUDA, Hello OpenCL! - 3D Tech News and Pixel Hacking - Geeks3D.com

Adobe Community: FAQ: What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues?

Mercury Graphics Engine

The Mercury Graphics Engine (MGE) represents features that use video card, or GPU, acceleration. In Photoshop CS6, this new engine delivers near-instant results when editing with key tools such as Liquify, Warp, Lighting Effects and the Oil Paint filter. The new MGE delivers unprecedented responsiveness for a fluid feel as you work.

MGE is new to Photoshop CS6, and uses both the OpenGL and OpenCL frameworks. It does not use the proprietary CUDA framework from nVidia.

In order to use MGE, you must have a supported video card and updated driver. If you do not have a supported card, performance will be degraded. In most cases the acceleration is lost and the feature runs in the normal CPU mode. However, there are some features that will not work without a supported video card.

I wouldnt go for HD 7950s, I will Have 2 HD 7970s Either of ASUS or Gigabyte.Do you think that would be a fair choice?
Or Should I go with GTX 780 ?
Avoid Crossfire. Pick up HD 7970 over GTX 680 or may be GTX 770. If you want to go all the way, then get GTX 780.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Avoid Crossfire. Pick up HD 7970 over GTX 680 or may be GTX 770. If you want to go all the way, then get GTX 780.

If AMD & bunch of sites are ri8(about so hyped new driver) then wouldn't be HD7970 CF better than single GTX780 (Arnab said HD7970CF) ??

BTW
Note: Adobe tested laptop and desktop versions of the following cards. Be sure to download the latest driver for your specific model. (Laptop and desktop versions have slightly different names.)

nVidia GeForce 8000, 9000, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 series

nVidia Quadro 400, 600, 2000, 4000 (Mac & Win), CX, 5000, 6000

AMD/ATI Radeon 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000 series

AMD/ATI FirePro 3800, 4800, 5800, 7800, 8800, 9800, 3900, 4900, 5900, 7900

Intel Intel HD Graphics, Intel HD Graphics P3000, Intel HD Graphics P4000

Note: ATI X1000 series and nVidia 7000 series cards are no longer being tested and are not officially supported in CS6 – some basic GL functionality may be available for both these cards.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Adobe is going the neutral way with CS6 + future. Starting to phase out CUDA in some software. Mac OS X = most revenue for Adobe, even more than Windows. New Mac Pro = GCN.

Adobe accelerates CS6 with OpenCL | SemiAccurate

Adobe Creative Suite 6: Bye bye CUDA, Hello OpenCL! - 3D Tech News and Pixel Hacking - Geeks3D.com

Adobe Community: FAQ: What features use the GPU and how do I troubleshoot GPU issues?

But As i heard about it , and now your link confims me too, Adobe is gonna use OpenCl structure Over CUDA. So Dont you think I shud stick with HD 7970?
Also, any news of Upcoming AMD GPUs?

Multi-GPU = always buggy.

Always single GPU for me.

Also, dont you think this Xfire Bug will be removed in upcoming driver updates?

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
But As i heard about it , and now your link confims me too, Adobe is gonna use OpenCl structure Over CUDA. So Dont you think I shud stick with HD 7970?
Also, any news of Upcoming AMD GPUs?

It won't use Open-cl over CUDA, but both. The mercury graphics engine is new in the CS6 suite and lacks CUDA. All other parts have CUDA support though.
Open-cl is new in adobe suite. Gotta see its performance over CUDA which was already tried and tested.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
It won't use Open-cl over CUDA, but both. The mercury graphics engine is new in the CS6 suite and lacks CUDA. All other parts have CUDA support though.
Open-cl is new in adobe suite. Gotta see its performance over CUDA which was already tried and tested.

hmm, pretty wired.Lets see what comes up.

DDIF

Custom User Title
Very True mate.
But I have a soft Corner for AMD so I think I will maintain that till I am at the brink , that would convinced me to have Nvdia and SLI rather than Xfiring HD 7970s.
I too have a soft corner for AMD and specially ASuS branded products of AMD ;) but sometimes you have to listen to your mind(price + Performance) rather than your heart(love) ;) .
What more, apart from some open compute applications and coin mining, nVidia and AMD both are almost as good as the other. So if you are price conscious, have no need of 3D games, don't want multi-gpu then definitely go with HD7970(was my first choice) otherwise look at nvidia.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
I too have a soft corner for AMD and specially ASuS branded products of AMD ;) but sometimes you have to listen to your mind(price + Performance) rather than your heart(love) ;) .
What more, apart from some open compute applications and coin mining, nVidia and AMD both are almost as good as the other. So if you are price conscious, have no need of 3D games, don't want multi-gpu then definitely go with HD7970(was my first choice) otherwise look at nvidia.
Thanks mate.
I do want a Multi GPU setup , and like to xfire HD 7970s .But as ico said, multi GPU is really always buggy .
So, i am a bit confused : should i spend a bit more and take on gtx 780 , provided it performs good in Adobe applications etc softwares....

vickybat

I am the night...I am...
Thanks mate.
I do want a Multi GPU setup , and like to xfire HD 7970s .But as ico said, multi GPU is really always buggy .
So, i am a bit confused : should i spend a bit more and take on gtx 780 , provided it performs good in Adobe applications etc softwares....

Actually, only crossfire is buggy at the moment and not SLI. Nvidia SLI has no frame pacing issues that crossfire has. Gameplay is butter smooth and FCAT tests have proved this.
AMD is releasing the driver at the end of this month and promises to fix these frame pacing issues.

If you want to game on a 1080p monitor, then i suggest a 760 SLI. Its cheaper than a single 780 and performs faster than a Titan, close to a 690 even at 2560x1600 resolutions.
It can handle everything you throw at it easily and has no such latency issues. Besides down the line, if you want to sell those gpu's, they'll fetch a higher resale value individually, than a single expensive card like 780.

varun004

Journeyman
multi gpu set ups run very hot. i had one and all components used to get extra hot with all that hot air exhausted from the gpus into the case. I used to keep the side panel off due to this and it ran cool. Noticed 4-5 degree drop in temps. Get a big case for multi gpu setups and several exhaust fans to pull out the hot air or buy blower fan type gpus.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Actually, only crossfire is buggy at the moment and not SLI. Nvidia SLI has no frame pacing issues that crossfire has. Gameplay is butter smooth and FCAT tests have proved this.
AMD is releasing the driver at the end of this month and promises to fix these frame pacing issues.

If you want to game on a 1080p monitor, then i suggest a 760 SLI. Its cheaper than a single 780 and performs faster than a Titan, close to a 690 even at 2560x1600 resolutions.
It can handle everything you throw at it easily and has no such latency issues. Besides down the line, if you want to sell those gpu's, they'll fetch a higher resale value individually, than a single expensive card like 780.

Thanks for Such a nice suggestion.
I can easily grab up one GTX 760 now and another within 3-4 months. But do you think it will be up in market for that time. Nvidia cards are prone to quick Off Set from Market that can waste my investment bro.So, confirm me with this and,

How about GTX 770?
I think i can manage to get 2 of them within 5-6 months , one after another...

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for Such a nice suggestion.
I can easily grab up one GTX 760 now and another within 3-4 months. But do you think it will be up in market for that time. Nvidia cards are prone to quick Off Set from Market that can waste my investment bro.So, confirm me with this and,

How about GTX 770?
I think i can manage to get 2 of them within 5-6 months , one after another...

no need to buy 1 card now and another 3-4 months after.
newer cards will be available then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom