NEED Advice For Buying Graphics Card- GTX 780,770 or HD 7970 Vaporx

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.S gadgets

Broken In
OP should go for the Gigabyte OC version card, budget wise it will be the best VFM.
I don't think that spending 5-6k extra on ASUS matrix platinum 7970 will give any huge benefit except some extra tweaking clock speed and quality components.

:p

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
^^ I would say HD 7970 Matrix .. one year extra warranty and much better After Sales support worth the extra.

Considering OP is covered by SMC gigabyte seems to be btr option cause
*www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1328588884f5KPiYuIly_8_2.gif
the stock GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970's temperature was 34 degrees Celsius while the fans were running at 20%, and extremely quiet. Under full load the temperature increased to 67c, however fan speed only increased to 34%. We did not have any issue with the fans at this speed. On the overclocked GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 we had fan speeds set to 80%, which was not as loud as most video cards, and helped remove a ton of excess heat. At idle, the video cards temperature was 25 degrees Celsius. Under full load with fans still at 80% temperature only reached 56c.

*www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1350337975kpLWqATHq4_9_2.gif
We tested the temp at the highest possible frequency we could to see if it could maintain a cool temperature, and it definitely can. Noise-wise, the video card is quiet when you don't use the Turbo Fan. However, once you push that button there is a noticeable sound increase, but it isn't an annoying sound. There is no whine, or buzzing, or high pitched frequencies, it's just a constant low rush of air sound. ASUS has done a good job on the acoustics with this video card. Inside a case, it would be hard to hear even at 100% fan speed with gaming going on.
Looks like gigabyte card has lot more cooling potential in it's arsenal..

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it seems to be that you are one of the unlucky people out there who had some cumbersome experience with rma process. First monitor,then mobo and now graphic card;-)
@op, smc is,no doubt, a trusted e-tailer. The only thing you have to do is to make sure the availability before transfering the money.

well may be but I've sold my luck and soul ;-) anyway, looking at all the options I think Op should go with GB but may be I'm a little biased to ROG series products after looking at all the world records :p

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Ya, Truly The Gigabyte card provide a lot of Cooling and I should move on with it.

It will take few days for SMC to bring in the stock so thy said to make my call after 10 days to confirm...

well may be but I've sold my luck and soul ;-) anyway, looking at all the options I think Op should go with GB but may be I'm a little biased to ROG series products after looking at all the world records :p
+1, I cant deny this for myself also.
But as far as the pricing is concerned I think I can use that in other PC components like Getting a NZXT caby

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
GTX 770 Amp should be faster by ~10% compared to HD7970 but the main con here is the 2GB vram which shows it's weakness in some game titles.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
GTX 770 Amp should be faster by ~10% compared to HD7970 but the main con here is the 2GB vram which shows it's weakness in some game titles.

Quite true about the VRAM case, I was expecting that and stopped myself from being swayed away ...

DDIF

Custom User Title
Sorry for hijacking the thread but I though it'd be better to post here than create a new thread. I recently friend my Inno3d iChill GTX680 Accelero Hybrid 4 GB due to bad drivers, so I am in dire need of a gfx card because I don't have any onboard gfx.
I play game at max settings on 1920x1080 res and mostly with 3D on. I don't plan on buying another card for next 20 months at least.
My full specs are here. My budget is 40k, give or take 2k. So what are my options.
I was thinking about Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4 GB or ASuS HD7970 3GB DDR5 MATRIX PLATINUM.
No nVidia card pls.

Last edited:
OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Spec looks very nice.
Just like me, you too can go for HD 7970 . If you like to have the Multi-Monitor setup better go for Sapphire Toxic 6GB version. Else stick with the Gigabyte and keep your money for future Xfire setup.

Sorry for hijacking the thread but I though it'd be better to post here than create a new thread. I recently friend my Inno3d iChill GTX680 Accelero Hybrid 4 GB due to bad drivers, so I am in dire need of a gfx card because I don't have any onboard gfx.
I play game at max settings on 1920x1080 res and mostly with 3D on. I don't plan on buying another card for next 20 months at least.
My full specs are here. My budget is 40k, give or take 2k. So what are my options.
I was thinking about Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 4 GB or ASuS HD7970 3GB DDR5 MATRIX PLATINUM.
No nVidia card pls.

mohit9206

Ambassador of Buzz
What am suggesting is a little different. Why spend so much on a graphics card ? I rather suggest you get a mid range graphics like 7850/7870 and save up the money for the PS4. There are a lot of great games coming for PS4 and you might regret if you spend all of your money on one thing when instead you could have both by making some sacrifices.PS4 is going to be a killer.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No nVidia card pls.

just a question : how are you planning to RMA the Inno3d iChill GTX680 Accelero Hybrid 4 GB ?? Do they have any distri/Sc here ??

DDIF

Custom User Title
Spec looks very nice.
Just like me, you too can go for HD 7970 . If you like to have the Multi-Monitor setup better go for Sapphire Toxic 6GB version. Else stick with the Gigabyte and keep your money for future Xfire setup.
Thanks, I am thinking about ASuS HD7970 3GB MATRIX PLATINUM ROG Edition but it isn't available online as of right now. Rather then spend lots of money on 7990 or GNC 2.0 cards when they come, I will add another 7970 in crossfire next year. Now the problem is just deciding which 7970 to go.
What am suggesting is a little different. Why spend so much on a graphics card ? I rather suggest you get a mid range graphics like 7850/7870 and save up the money for the PS4. There are a lot of great games coming for PS4 and you might regret if you spend all of your money on one thing when instead you could have both by making some sacrifices.PS4 is going to be a killer.
I am not much into console gaming, so PS4 is out of question. Thanks for the suggestion though.
just a question : how are you planning to RMA the Inno3d iChill GTX680 Accelero Hybrid 4 GB ?? Do they have any distri/Sc here ??
Nope, they don't. So it is going to get dust here. no RMA or anything. So what do you think about my options?

Last edited:
OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Did you see What i stated?
Don't spend that much, like me go for Gigabyte 3 GB Version. Its the best in every possible way.

DDIF

Custom User Title
Did you see What i stated?
Don't spend that much, like me go for Gigabyte 3 GB Version. Its the best in every possible way.
How much is the GigaByte one?It was around 30,555/- on Flipkart sometime ago. You are talking about the OC version with three fans, right? I can only buy from e-retailers or if there is a huge price difference then I can ask one of my friends in Delhi to buy from Nehru Place.

Nope, they don't. So it is going to get dust here. no RMA or anything. So what do you think about my options?

Why dont you try with local computer service chains like global computers etc.. it might just be issue with capacitors or other parts being burned.. and the GPU may be fine..
The service chain I mentioned had helped me with my two AGP cards.. you should try first before shelling that kind of money.
BTW.. where are you from?

DDIF

Custom User Title
Why dont you try with local computer service chains like global computers etc.. it might just be issue with capacitors or other parts being burned.. and the GPU may be fine..
The service chain I mentioned had helped me with my two AGP cards.. you should try first before shelling that kind of money.
BTW.. where are you from?

Punjab

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
How much is the GigaByte one?It was around 30,555/- on Flipkart sometime ago. You are talking about the OC version with three fans, right? I can only buy from e-retailers or if there is a huge price difference then I can ask one of my friends in Delhi to buy from Nehru Place.

Ya, That one.
Its 27.5k in SMC international. I called them up sometimes back and the new stock will arrive soon. So you can ask your friend to buy and send you from there....

DDIF

Custom User Title
Ya, That one.
Its 27.5k in SMC international. I called them up sometimes back and the new stock will arrive soon. So you can ask your friend to buy and send you from there....
Actually I am thinking of selling my System and build a new rig from scratch. So now I will wait for some days, until then you can post how your card is faring.

OP
Arnab

Arnab

Scattered in Quantum
Actually I am thinking of selling my System and build a new rig from scratch. So now I will wait for some days, until then you can post how your card is faring.

HMM. Ok .
I Will post here. Stay tuned.
Whatever you may do, if you buy this card its totally VFM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom