N97 or Omnia or Xperia X1 Suggestion Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmarbee

Journeyman
N97 or Omnia or Xperia X1 or 5800 XM Suggestion Required

Hi geeks,
I've been looking for a great mobile for few months (quite long period) . . .
But I'm not able to make a decision. Thought you guys at Digit will help me make a better choice as you did for Z5500 & Dell SP2208WFP.

My requirements:

-->Touchscreen ( I'm not sure abt the responsiveness, as of now the only touch phone I've handled is P1i and I feel its quite responsive and good).

-->Music Player(I need something like SE Walkman phones as they are the best, but neither they come with touchscreen nor with a good camera with flash).

-->Camera (I can't be specific here, as I don't know much about cameras - but I need the best camera phone like Nokia N95)

--> WiFi, EDGE, 3G (I'm not sure abt this), Long Battery Hours (atleast for music),

No limit on budget.

The models that I've shortlisted so far,

Samsung Omnia i900 (I like every bit of this phone except for its from Samsung (not so popular in India) and some sites say its performance is not so good, even touch sensitivity is low - Digit slammed this model in this month's issue)

Sony Ericsson Xperia X1 (Gr8 - but 3.2 MP camera, I've seen some videos and I feel the touch is somewhat slow, but I'm not sure)

Nokia N97 (Discovered it few days back, GR88 but Symbian not Windows Mobile)

Which one shall I choose? If you have a better option let me know ( Like that of HTC touchHD and HTC touch diamond - but are they as good as Nokia's and Sony Ericsson's ???)

Thanks in advance.

EDIT 1: Nokia 5800 Xpress Music included. - I dunno why I left out this model. It has everything that I require. If only the camera quality is on par with Omnia.

Last edited:

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Do you really need a QWERTY keypad? If you think you're gonna be banging out messages all day, get the Touch Pro (HTC Raphael).
If you need a sleek touch based music player that also doubles up a phone, check out the Nokia 5800XM.
However, if the budget is not a limitation, get the Touch HD. It's the best phone the market right now, bar none. The 3.8" screen is a joy to use and it's HTC's first 5MP sharp shooter.
Of the three that you've listed: Omnia > X1 > N97 simply because the X1 is essentially a Touch Pro in disguise while the N97 suffers from critical design flaws.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Of your choices.i suggest you go for the XPERIA.The XPERIA is much faster than the Touch Pro, has 128 mb of dedicated graphics memory and has a better implementation of software and cam than what the Touch Pro has to offer.Also, the build quality and looks are way better in the X1.

The Omnia has serious software issues and is slow as hell, also support for WM in Samsung is far from top notch.
The N97 is a viable choice, but it will be available in May. Now, if you want to wait for that do so.

Also there are Android devices from HTC and SE to be announced in February and SF devices and also Win 6.5 devices coming up.

Also bear in mind that the cameras in the HTC models are below par and the 5 mp ones are worse than what the X1 has to offer. Also, sound quality in the X1 is top notch, you wont find a better sounding WM phone in the market.

krates

Be CoOl rAp RuLeZ !!!
N97 no doubt but you won't be getting it that's the prob better off with xperia it is better than omnia......

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Of your choices.i suggest you go for the XPERIA.The XPERIA is much faster than the Touch Pro, has 128 mb of dedicated graphics memory and has a better implementation of software and cam than what the Touch Pro has to offer.Also, the build quality and looks are way better in the X1.
Have you ever used the X1? The initial build quality was absolutely terrible and the device is as laggy as my P1i. And I'd like to know how you could ever type faster on the X1's 4-row QWERTY than on the better designed 5-row keyboard of the Touch Pro. It has hopeless tactility, the buttons are too far wide apart and it lacks basic buttons like the arrow keys.

FWIW, the Touch Pro outguns the X1 in usable RAM for apps (288megs vs 256megs). The 128MB of RAM for the graphics is almost entirely wasted as OpenGL is not accessible to applications, it has to be hard coded. Can you give me an example of the "better implementation" of software on the X1 when compared with the Touch Pro? Heck FWIW, 99.99% of the X1 owners on XDAdevs are absolutely fed up of the craptastic panels and have switched to TF3D/Manila from the Touch HD and Diamond. Until 3rd party developers create some useful panels, it's just a farce. I'd also like you to prove that the camera implementation on the X1 is better than on the Touch Pro.
Also bear in mind that the cameras in the HTC models are below par and the 5 mp ones are worse than what the X1 has to offer. Also, sound quality in the X1 is top notch, you wont find a better sounding WM phone in the market.
Wow! When GSMArena and a multitude of other review web sites have praised the 5MP cam in the Touch HD, here is someone on ThinkDigit who claims otherwise. From GSMArena: "Still, the camera performance of the Touch HD is a huge leap forward for the HTC. We are quite positive that this is the best camera on a Windows Mobile PocketPC we have seen so far. The Touch HD has confidently closed the gap between the very best in business. " (referring to the N82)
The same goes for SQ. Having a 3.5mm jack is good, but do you have any stats for THD, crossover, pink noise etc. to back up your claim?

I'd be happy to be proven wrong but but this is just blind fanboyism on your part. I'm not bashing the X1 by any measure (heck, I've been using SE phones since the first T68i) but having lived with it for a couple of days, it just seems like a run off the mill handset with an average feature set but good looks and a very good (but small-ish for its res) screen.

Last edited:
OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
Here I go again - 3 replies - 3 different opinions.

But No Omnia in any of them - the only thing I regret about Omnia is - its from Samsung - Is that a problem? Or its poor sunlight legibility/touch sensitivity will pose any problem? Please shed some light on this.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
I would recommend waiting for HTC Touch HD. I have seen some of the camera samples and they are excellent.

Quad Core

Broken In
Here I go again - 3 replies - 3 different opinions.

But No Omnia in any of them - the only thing I regret about Omnia is - its from Samsung - Is that a problem? Or its poor sunlight legibility/touch sensitivity will pose any problem? Please shed some light on this.

Omnia is somewat costly i guess n its not worth 4 money..
hey emmarbee read d review about omria n xperia in tis months DIGIT..
i dont have any idea abt n97..

pulkit_aga

Journeyman
n97 is nowhere in sight it will be only released after 5-6 months from now and at that point nobody knows how the market will be as new phones keep coming every week.

so if you really want to buy you have choices from xperia(too costly you can get a dell in that price),
omina(overall nice package,bit costly)
5800(good balance of price and feature)
htc touch various models

so if you want to buy, buy one as phone price will now decrease in dec or keep waiting for couple of months....

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
How about Blackberry Storm???

among the three that you picked, I would vote for Omnia.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
As found on newer SE phone, the music player interface is clean and of a similar layout philosophy as an iPod; anyone who has used the PS3 or Sony TV menus will recognize it. With our own headphones Sony earbuds the sound was excellent; highs were crisp and the bass was rich. It recognized all of our ID3 tags just fine, though only one of the six albums properly displayed the art. The now playing screen has all the essential information, though is a bit crowded for our tastes. These are all minor gripes, however, and what really matters is that the player is easy to use and the audio sounded great.

*www.phonearena.com/htmls/Sony-Ericsson-Xperia-X1-Review-review-r_2072-p_5.html

Well, couldnt find any graphs to root my claim though. But, I have used the X1 and it really sounds and looks great.Its a differenct story that its totally out of my budget.

As for panels, I am sure, with the SDKs released and people acclamatizing themselves to the Panel system, there will be more panels on the run. Btw, if you in for a bigger screen get the Touch HD, else the XPERIA is the way to go.Will find multiple references in youtube that hold the Touch Pro slower than the XPERIA.

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
Good to see you back Desii Ji - your opinion on DellSP2208WFP and Z5500 was worth it !

But blackberry is way out of my choice. And I'm happy that you've voted for omnia.

But could you be more elaborate - i mean, what are the negatives in Omnia.
I have to see wehther I can getr over with that.

QuadCore & Dreamcatcher,
If you are going to consider the reviews from phonearena - then Samsung Omnia Rulez (along with Xperia X1).
If you are going to consider Digit's review - Omnia sucks!
But why am I starting a thread in this gr8 forum - to get the links for other web site's reviews ? - NO, To get public opinion.

I do know that Digit has mortified Omnia in this month's issue - but the reviews from Digit and phonesarena are contrary - I can't come to a conclusion.

Thanks for your suggestions though - I'm in really need of it.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
If you really are you WM, forget OMNIA.Its not bad though, has a good enough cam and is one of the better looking devices in the market.But its very gimmicky when it comes to the software front.Samsung is not known for its WM implementationa and that clearly shows here.

You should either go for an HTC or an SE(HTC as its ODM) if you consider getting any positive support.I also suggest you take a trip down to the XDA forums and then shot your claim. I personally found the Xperia good on the music front with nifty softwares provided by SE, with the Walkman player 3 and other stuff ported from its Axxx siblings.

So if its between the Touch Pro and the XPERIA, i suggest you go for the XPERIA, or wait till FEB 09 and check out the devices that SE and HTC have to offer.

Also in india, HTC's after sales support is not that great. SE has service centres all over ad you will rarely face a problem with either of them.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
There are quite a few Touch HD camera samples here. As I said the camera pics are excellent.

Last edited:
OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
dreamcatcher, I saw sevaral videos of Xperia X1 and in all videos the performance seems to be slow -I'm not talking about the touch sensitivity but the process speed.
But samsung Omnia looks pretty fast when compared to that of both HTC Touch Diamond(not sure about touchHD and touchPRO) and Xperia.
And when I say videos, they are video reviews from site like - "phonedog", "mobilereview","pocketnow".
The reason why I considered reviews from other sites is that they are VIDEO REVIEWS - I can actually see what's happening - I don't think that these reviews are biased on any means . . .
Actually there was only one thing that was bugging about Xperia earlier and it was the camera - but now I highly doubt on the interface speed.
There was only one advantage in HTC - its awesome TouchFLO3D interface - but later I came to know something called "SPB" similar to that of touchflo3d which can be installed on Omnia and in Xperia the touchflo3d itself can be installed.
So I don't think I should consider HTC as an option anymore, unless there is any unique strength.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
dreamcatcher, I saw sevaral videos of Xperia X1 and in all videos the performance seems to be slow -I'm not talking about the touch sensitivity but the process speed.
The Xperia's panel interface is quite slow, I can vouch for that after having borrowed one from a friend for 3-4 days. You could probably head down to the nearest cell phone store and check it out yourself.
The panels as a whole is a great concept but it still needs a lot of tweaking if its to stand up to the benchmark shell in the WinMo world. Anyhow, the crazy guys at XDADev have already ported almost all aspects of Manila/TF3D from the Diamond and Touch HD to Xperia. It replaces the default Xperia today panel.

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
Saw some neat reviews on a site - copy pasting the content.

Omnia

Pros
  • All-in-one
  • DivX/XviD support
  • 5-megapixel camera and good image quality
  • Excellent music sound quality
  • Nice earphones with a 3.5 mm adapter
  • Very good Internet browser

Cons
  • Cannot be used in direct sunlight
  • Not very useful Widgets
  • Limited accelerometer use
  • Not very user-friendly and personalized interface

Design 8.5
Build Quality
Look

Display 9
Quality
Resolution
Size

Camera 10
Resolution
Quality
Features, Comfort

Sound Quality 8
Incoming
Outgoing
Ringing

Battery 8.5
Talk time
Stand-by time

Connectivity 9
Local
Internet
Data

Multimedia 9
Interface Comfort, Options
Quality
Supported formats
Connectors (3.5/A2DP)

Organizer 10
PIM
Phonebook
Messaging

Excellent 9 out of 10

XPERIA X1

Pros
  • Sexy design, solid construction
  • Large, high resolution display
  • Panel interface is useful
  • We liked the keyboard, but those with big fingers may disagree
  • Snappy performance within Windows environment

Cons
  • Some might find it a bit heavy, but others will like the weight
  • We would have liked to see a dedicated Back key
  • Video player needs a bit of work

Design 9
Keyboard
Build Quality
Look

Display 10
Quality
Resolution
Size

Camera 7
Resolution
Quality
Features, Comfort

Sound Quality 9
Incoming
Outgoing
Ringing
Signal Reception

Battery 10
Talk time
Stand-by time

Connectivity 9.5
Local
Internet
Data

Multimedia 8
Quality
Supported formats
Connectors (3.5/A2DP)

Organizer 10
PIM
Phonebook
Messaging

Excellent 9 out of 10

HTC TouchHD

Pros
  • 3.8” WVGA display
  • Very good size and construction
  • This is the phone for document viewing
Cons
  • Currently, it cannot play quality videos
  • Weak display performance in direct sunlight
  • More lag in the menu compared to Touch Diamond

Design 9
Build Quality
Look

Display 9
Quality
Resolution
Size

Camera 5.5
Resolution
Quality

Sound Quality 8
Incoming
Outgoing

Battery 8
Talk time
Stand-by time

Connectivity 10
Local
Internet
Data

Multimedia 8
Quality
Supported formats
Connectors (3.5/A2DP)

Organizer 10
PIM
Phonebook
Messaging

Excellent 8.5 out of 10

Does anyone find the above information contrary with your opinion? If so, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom