N97 or Omnia or Xperia X1 Suggestion Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
The lack of apps custom built to take advantage of the S60v5 platform that powers the 5800XM is a sore point at the moment. Not all apps that were built for S60v3 are compatible with it right now. Anyhow, I'm expecting my package to arrive later this week. Stay tuned for a review.

The N97 is still a few months away. Keep an eye out for MWC '09 if you intend on waiting until spring/summer. I'm sure Nokia are preparing a non-QWERTY touchscreen equipped flagship.

Don't get the Blackberry if you intend to use your phone as a multimedia and gaming device. I can literally count the # of apps available on the BB OS platform. The Bold and Curve have the best keyboards but that's where the fun of a BB ends. Customization is quite limited. The availability of cracked apps is another issue, depending on how you view it. :p

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Go with HTC TOUCH HD.
Has an excellent battery life of 2 days under intensive usage. Has good music + good 5 MP AF camera which fares closely with N82.

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
Has anybody here actually used these devices - Omnia / HTC Touch HD / HTC TOuch Diamond / 5800 Xpress Music??

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Of the devices, XPERIA has the best Battery life. By your requirements, i suggest you wait for MWC coz SE will be coming up with some really great phones. Name SF60 touch devices and their next WM.Also, SE's first Android is due.

Btw, Have you considered the Renoir??8 mp cam with xenon flash and a 3.2 inch screen.think about it.It will be the best choice going by your specifications.

As for the C905, I am waiting for a few modded drivers.The pics are good enough, a better cam driver will better it.

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
No L.G.
C905 not a touch phone - so not needed.
As for as as the waiting is concerned, I don't see any good mobiles coming soon except for N97.

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Samsung Pixon???

It doesnt have Wifi tho.But is a good touch Phone.Btw, LG is not that bad.Sure, it has its gripes, but its the 5th largest cellphone manufacturer.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Check this link : *www.mobile-review.com/review/nokia-n97-en.shtml

Xperia and touch HD looks tiny before the N97. Am surprised!!!

After looking at this review, I now think it's worthy to wait for this phone to enter Indian market.

And am also surprised by this:

GPS-navigation – 5 hours
Video playback – 4 hours 15 minutes
WEB-surfing (EDGE) – 4.5 hours
Music (in earphones) – 32 hours
WiFi – the N97 is rated for 166 hours of standby, and 6 hours of data upload

Last edited:

rohan_mhtr

Most wanted
Wow n97 looks good but a little bulky. I personally think that xperia is not a good value for money phone , if the price falls to atleast about 30k then it is ok otherwise touch hd is the way to go if you cant wait for the n97 . Of all the above phones mentioned above i have personally experienced only nokia 5800 and the xperia . In multimedia department the 5800 xm is better then xperia . Checked the xperia and the responce time was not that good even when there were no applications running in the background , and also it does not look as good as it is shown in the ads (my personal opinion) . Screen resolution in experia is excellent but due to slightly smaller screen watching videos is not that fun , also videos do not use full screen , i mean 2 say that some black boundary lines remain on both sides .

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
Desii ji,
The given link is not a review for N97 - its just "hands on" - much will differ after the original release I guess. Something will get better and because of that it might change some of the advantages . . . (like for example battery hours . . .)

In that review, it has been mentioned that it will be released no sooner than May '09. Is that so? If it so, then I won't be getting it... Cause I'll buy before April(Max),I guess . . .

And is there any possibility that Omnia's price will come down soon? Like around 22-23k(16gb) before April?

And when is Nokia XpressMusic 5800 is being released in India??? I saw it's price in univercell (not only for that, but also for N97 (this is crazy)). And I guess, the price of Nokia remains stagnate as it had happened in N95 (it was STILL)

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
Desii ji,
And when is Nokia XpressMusic 5800 is being released in India??? I saw it's price in univercell (not only for that, but also for N97 (this is crazy)). And I guess, the price of Nokia remains stagnate as it had happened in N95 (it was STILL)
It has been out in other markets for months now, so its arrival in India is imminent.

Has anybody here actually used these devices - Omnia / HTC Touch HD / HTC TOuch Diamond / 5800 Xpress Music??
I used to own a tricked out Diamond and just got the tracking # for my 5800XM. Whaddya wanna know?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Yes. it will be out in first half of 2009 and it's not mentioned when. After looking at that hands-on, I am tempted. My motorokr will be out of warranty in 5 months from now and I might go for N97. You might ask why I didn't prefer Omnia. I prefer symbian over windows mobile.

Yes. You will definitely see a price drop for Omnia or it might even go out of picture like many samsung and LG mobile do. They shine in windows for few weeks and then poof, they disappear.

Anyways, better wait till April. CES is about to start and we will find what's next for the brands.

rohanisbusy

for e-waste use SHIFT+DEL
why dont u go in for
samsung i8510 innov8 here's the link its gor 8mp camera with auto focus at zioom level looks awesom.........

*www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8510_innov8-2471.php

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
GForce23, What do you mean by tracking number? You've order for it and waiting for it to be delivered??

Desiiji, even my friend told the same thing - "Omnia or other samsung mobiles will go out of picture in a few months" - But what's wrong in that? Is there any disadvantage of the model going out of focus? And thanks for replying to rohanisbusy.

Latest Update:

I saw 5800 Xpressmusic video review by Mobileburn - 4 parts. The phone looks gr8, works gr8 and I guess it even sounds gr8. Also the price will be gr8, I hope.
But I took around 33 camera samples from mobilereview, if it was a year ago, I'd said the camera samples looks stunning. But after seeing the camera quality of Omnia - I'm stunned.

If anyone wants to see some stunning (really stunning) camera samples of Omnia. I can upload it for them or can give the gsmarena link of it. Desiibond have you seen the camera samples available in the Omnia Review at GSMArena(especially the one in macro mdoes)??

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
hey, there is nothing wrong when the model phases out. But, when it comes to aftersales support, it can hurt sometimes when the support does not have spare parts or knowledge on the phone.

if you take phones like Nokia N series, they are widely used, distributed and stay in the market for really long time. best example is N73.

Of course, it's the least thing to thing while buying a phone as you won't go to the support center often. But still.....

Do you mean that sunflower and the orchid macro photos? They look really good, lot lot better than many cameras in phones.

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
Ya, The sunflower,white flower(with violet veins - File name gsmarena_010), Violet flower(File name - gsmarena_011) and Rose flower(with green leaves backround File name gsmarena_012) I'm not sure about the flower names..
The reason why I'm insisting on those specific files is that - the PQ of the file makes me go crazy as K790i photos made me once. ( when it was released years back).

For this one reason we can buy this phone. Not that I use camera a lot - but PQ like these makes me engage in camera full time. Like COD4 makes anyone not interested in FPS to fall in love with the same. :)

gforce23

Rapacious eBayer
GForce23, What do you mean by tracking number? You've order for it and waiting for it to be delivered??
Yep. Ordered one through eBay a week ago but they couldn't fulfill my order since they had exhausted their stock of blue & black 5800s. I think luck was on my side since I scored a 5800 from the UAE where Nokia have it on sale.

pathik said:
gforce, how much did it cost you? in INR?
AED1459+AED155 = Rs. 21,014 (@13.02) for phone and shipping.

Since production is ramping up, the prices have crashed from $900 to a low of $489 on eBay at the moment. Anyhow, Dubai is the cheapest place on the planet right now and the current price (verified today) is $380 (or Rs. 17,830).

OP
E

emmarbee

Journeyman
I can't get you GForce23. Where do you reside?
And from wher you are getting it? Ebay.XX? Dubai/UAE/US??
And is it possible for one to get shipment from U.S/Dubai/UAE to India (no matter whatever the shipment costs - I just want the possbility)
Waiting eagerly for your reply . . .

Update: Guys, what do you think about HTC MAX 4G - If this thread can talk about something(N97) that's gonna be released only during the 2Q of '09, then I guess there is nothing wrong in having a discussion about 4Q of '09 I guess.
Of course, I'm not considering my self here (cause I wont be waiting more than april) - but it may be useful for those who visits this thread few months later . . .

Some of you had mentioned that, Installing a touchFLO3D in a WinMo wont be a problem. Are you sure? If not is SPBShell just like TouchFLO3D?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom