N97 LAUNCHED

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Quoted from phonearena.

Don’t think the N97 doesn’t have its shortcomings. The most important is mediocre in-call quality. Despite voices are loud on both ends of the line, they are also sharp and hard to catch onto at times. Turning volume down helps, yet we can´t say things are coming up roses here. We did expect this top of the range Nokia device would deliver better in-call quality. Add to the list of gripes the freezing of the operating system every now and then, the mediocre multimedia performance alongside of the 5800 XpressMusic and the lack of full office support. Now, these are some serious drawbacks for a high-end phone.

*www.phonearena.com/htmls/Nokia-N97-Review-review-r_2191.html

Power UP

In the zone
It's an Nseries device we are talking about and we can't complain about looks. How's that for a nice start? Now seriously, the Nseries are back on track and we don't mean that as a mere comparison to the misfiring N96. All-in-one is the game and the N97 is ready to take charge of the Nokia multimedia squad. It has an arsenal full of (almost) all contemporary high-end weapons and Symbian smartness securing its rear.

Nseries used to stand for the ultimate in mobile technology but evolution has seen to it that if you want all the top features you're not to find them in a single device. And as things are these days - not in the Nseries. The best touch interface is elsewhere, higher-res WVGA screens are found elsewhere as well, there are better places to look for HD videos, and for 12 megapixel snapshots - you get our drift...

There was a time when being top of the Nseries pretty much equaled top of the whole affair. Well, no more - and it definitely isn't simply the N97's fault. We guess the Nokia Nseries need to come to terms with the evolving market, much like the Series 60 5th still need some time to come to terms with touchscreen. That's not necessarily bad news though. The news is never good or bad, it's what you make of it.

But there's no need to be too smart. Here's what we mean. Remember Nokia N95 and its 8GB offshoot? Well then, no need to tell you it used to be the sum of all fears. That's some weight to carry for its successors! No wonder the N96 crumbled. Well, the N97 is not crumbling; it just inherits a changed world.

All right, if that's how things are on the mobile market, we guess the Nokia N97 needs to have a lot of guts to get to grips with its inheritance and do its thing on top. And, here's another newsflash: the N97 does that alright. If a device can stand its ground against potent rivals like HTC Touch Pro2 and Sony Ericsson XPERIA X1, it can hardly be wrong. Not to mention the bold newcomer Samsung B7610 OmniaPRO.

So, the latest Nseries flagship is not a royalty but a focused and capable handset with a firm foot in the segment of smart QWERTY touchscreen all-in-ones. The ultimate device as we knew it is dead, Nseries live on.

*www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n97-review-363.php

Well this pretty much sums it up nicely.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
As far as the build quality of the N97 is concerned, it is one of the most solid phones that I have ever used. In fact it was a smart decision by Nokia to avoid using metal on the phone as it could have only made the phone heavy. As it stands now the phone is solid as well as well as light. And believe me, it is not plasticky. The plastic is of a very high quality and feels anything but cheap. And the sliding mechanism is absolutely top notch. We have the phone here with us at Techtree. In fact we were the first ones in India to get the hands on an N97 and our review came well before anyone else.

Tamoghno

Padawan
@ krrazy

Although i hate techtree review (dont take it personally) can you please answer some of the the points below ,

1. about n97's voice quality . I cant believe that nokia could mess up up with call quality .

2. Is there actually any alloy used in the slider mechanism.

3. Sunlight legability compared to other touchscreen phone like omniahd or touch pro2.

Btw , didn't knew about your job in techtree. Congrats .Wish i had a job like you . I'm jealous !

ziha786

Journeyman
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Dude.. it will be unfair to compare a 5800 with n97 man… here’s why..[/FONT] [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5 mp vs. 3.2 mp[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]32 gb + 16 gb expandable vs. 16 gb[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Qwerty vs. no qwerty[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3.5 inches[/FONT][FONT=&quot] vs. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1500 mAh vs. 1320 mAh[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]n-gage vs. no n-gage support[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]music playback for 37 hrs vs. 35 hrs [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]customizable home screen for widgets vs. none [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]fm transmittor vs. none [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]maps 3.0 vs. 2.0[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]and dude it does support tv out[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I own a 5800 and the other day I tried my hand on n97.. I must tell ya that n97 is in a different league altogether… u got try it out to know wht I am talking.[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

See the 5800 was great for the price. But the N97 at more than double the price is clearly overpriced.
It neither has extreme features like 8 or 12mp cam with xenon or hd recording or omap processor and nor has a ui like iphone's filled with transitions (it still has single-double click stuff).

Its clearly 5800 + qwerty + minor upgrades = 2x price

The so called 32 gb is wasted feature for nearly "99.99%" people. Only a few eccentric people will fill up that entire thing. Instead they should have given 16gb and 256mb ram. This combination would had been good for most.

Almost the entire competition is using a powerful omap processors like Satio, Omnia HD, Palm pre and even the iphone. In turn u get phones which are quite capable of sustaining themselves even with all those transitions etc. and still perform smoothly.

At the moment its like 95 classic, a flawed flagship. But still 95-c was one of the most feature packed phone of its time, but N97 is more like stitching of old hardware.

^^ And N97 performs "great", i wonder what you will call the Nvidia Tegra ^^

This video shows what a good processor can do, and what u lose by getting satisfied with mediocrity especially when u are paying so much.

NVIDIA Tegra @ MWC 09

And for the omap, the iphone is the living example as what a ui can be when its properly optimized.

Power UP

In the zone
^^ yup sure there are tonnes & tonnes of new features
Here spot the differences

*cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/49/74/John_Travolta.0.0.0x0.300x400.jpeg

N97
*cm1.theinsider.com/media/0/69/19/john-travolta-mustache.0.0.0x0.300x359.jpeg

Anyway there is pretty much nothing left to say here. I have said enough about this brown phone and its all going in circles.

Numerous reviews out there read it, get a demo piece from showroom. feel it dismantle it and If u like it then buy it.

/ I'm outta here /

Tamoghno

Padawan
The problem with n97 not its hardware but its user interface.even at twice the price of 5800 , it feels the same once you turn it on . May be the widgeta are great but thats alone cant change the os . N97 is a great solid device with specs that most people actually care for but thats about it. Nothing game changing or out of this world

i finally got my N97 today .. phew! and well i have lots of things to tell u abt it. guys.. do bounce all ur queries... etc .. if u have any.. i will be testing the device thoroughly :) must say that i really like the widgets that r packed into it. one widget i really like is AccuWeather Widget

*img58.imageshack.us/img58/1117/weatherk.jpg

This widget allows you to forecast weather in a convenient format. This displays all the relevant information - temperature, cloudiness, precipitation. One of the best quality and functionality to view the weather at this time. (Especially for those who are lazy to look through the window.. its really bad in delhi.. 48 degrees and all.. anyway. it gives you an automatic update for next 1 hour or for next 4-5 days.. quite handy :)

amitabhishek

Bad to the bone
^^ yup sure there are tonnes & tonnes of new features
Here spot the differences

N97

Anyway there is pretty much nothing left to say here. I have said enough about this brown phone and its all going in circles.

Numerous reviews out there read it, get a demo piece from showroom. feel it dismantle it and If u like it then buy it.

/ I'm outta here /

Ho..Ho...:grin: too much...Can's stop loling...You have not only summed 5800 and N97 but also what Nokia does these days.

i finally got my N97 today .. phew! and well i have lots of things to tell u abt it. guys.. do bounce all ur queries... etc .. if u have any.. i will be testing the device thoroughly :) must say that i really like the widgets that r packed into it. one widget i really like is AccuWeather Widget

This widget allows you to forecast weather in a convenient format. This displays all the relevant information - temperature, cloudiness, precipitation. One of the best quality and functionality to view the weather at this time. (Especially for those who are lazy to look through the window.. its really bad in delhi.. 48 degrees and all.. anyway. it gives you an automatic update for next 1 hour or for next 4-5 days.. quite handy :)

Dude congrats on your new purchase and I find your forum name funny (am sure you will have a reason for that).

Here is my take on N97:

a)Overpriced (35k :shock:)
b)Bulky (Learn from Palm)
c)Inconsistent UI (Kabhi single tap kabhi double tap)
d)Symbian Operating System (The lesser I say the better)
e)Resistive screen (Hello Nokia, what were you thinking!)

Nokia should stay out of touch phone business. Simply not their cup of tea!!!

Tamoghno

Padawan
a)Overpriced (35k :shock:)

A little but not much . Compare to its competetor like touch pro2 or iphone and you'll understand . Remember its smartphone with 5mp , superb music and great built . Also prices is already ~$550 in us , so it should come 28-30k pretty soon.

b)Bulky (Learn from Palm)

No , take it in hand . Its quite slim and small for a side sliding qwerty with 3.5mm jack . Obviously its not smallest but its no way as bulky as it looks in photo.

c)Inconsistent UI (Kabhi single tap kabhi double tap)

Yeah , totally agree .

d)Symbian Operating System (The lesser I say the better)

Yeah , its not a proper touchscreen os . I think its like a stopgap os until symbian foundation comes out

e)Resistive screen (Hello Nokia, what were you thinking!)

Nokia should stay out of touch phone business. Simply not their cup of tea!!!

Resistive is not that bad . I actually like ot because it lets me use stylus . Also i've never heard anyone complaining about its screen sensitovity.

kwimp

Broken In
Nice phone, but certainly not worth 35k… 25-27k would be ok.. No revolutionary stuff in that phone.. considering the network/wifi connectivity in india, more than half of those widgets wont even work..
Also, general ppl in india will have a HARD time understanding the widget system *www.pluggd.in/wp-includes/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif
Articles reported the music capabilites of the 5800 is better than this phone..
Symbian 60 5th edition is STILL evolving,expect bugs in the phone!..
But ya, the hardware specs are good.. more ram,better processor, touch sensitivity is more than the 5800..

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^^ absolutely correct 27k-30k would be good price if its to be successful in india..

we have never heard of touch pro,omnia HD or innovate here...even xperia was unsuccessful coz of 30+ price

let the price be 20-30k it will surely get success here.

Nokia N97 Firmware Update available version 10.0.012 update into 11.0.021

-Widget UI improvement.
-Browser fixes to improve widgets stability.
-New version of Accueweather.
-Ovi store client now embedded in the core image

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0962/ea8eab3a809c481fa735bedfbfc93de2.jpg
Look This For Complete Firmware Update Information
*mobonoid.com/2009/06/new-n97-...-already-here/

jasroy

Right off the assembly line
Hey, your link isn't working in this thread as well! :) Nevermind, I'll put it down again.

*mobonoid.com/2009/06/new-n97-v11-firmware-is-coming-tomorrow-changelog-is-already-here/

The keyboard is pathetic. Check out the reviews. I have nothing against the phone. its just that their marketing is full of BS. A "computer" should be tops in both multimedia and internet services.

The Xperia is made of half metal, and comparing the build of the plasticky N97 is nothing short of stupidity.

Have you used the keyboard for even one day? I have and I can tell you that it is not bad at all. The spacebar positioning is actually pretty intutive as the thumb generally rests in that position!

As far as build quality goes, yet Nseries devices in the past have had their share of problems but the N97 is miles apart. The slide and the hinge is one of the most solid mechanisms I have come across. I'm just new to the forum and not new to the mobile world if you'r wondering.

In fact I read somewhere that Nokia's head of design even challenged anyone to make a hinge like that on the N97. The angle is of the screen is also very handy.

ziha786

Journeyman
Its Nice Video Thanks to share your Personal Review about Key Pad Typing in N97.
but i am thinking about different side space bar, is it working fine or its gives some difficulties. also share some more reviews about this phone.

@jasroy
Yes m agree and here i want to share a keypad typing demo video.

[youtube]igYPnv1XTHU[/youtube]

Keypad typing is easy and soft on N97.

If You are reading news paper on daily basic so choose your fav new paper and read in your mobile...... ya its right read news paper in your mobile, search News Hunt widget and download from ovi store in N97.... lets a explore you through some screen shot.

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/0117142259e24840b6db1b8937b04215.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/03c2b4f0624f4157b358b30461b6af85.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/7d5933d8b1e54db98b11d3029d26232d.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/7341011fdd994c92bc9c604849bda7c7.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/3717319bed0f4de59b72e4e5450c6725.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/67b619da5489460c96fd38bcaed4b23b.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/d3ed69c6f5514d27853e4af6f43d9470.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/c52cfbb1d8f54e62a3466971b5b03b1c.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/8021ac5637bb4535bfebe2516daaeb7e.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/b54a84a1edf543479f2bb247925bbedc.jpg

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/4b89da030c5b40a9a63e51ec88999631.jpg

There categories You can found in news paper section, read all types news watch photo Gallery,Also you can read news paper in many languages, so download news hunt widget from ovi store and enjoy you favorite news paper.

also if you have facing problem to understand widget system here i found a nokia site he provides you all information about widgets and personalization in N97.

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0986/7e11e012f5414f59a436b1395d51cf8d.jpg

*www.nokia.co.in/find-products...et-the-widgets

Top Bottom