N97 LAUNCHED

dreamcatcher

Rockin g33k
Problem with the N97 is that its not working great. The widgets and transitions were touted to be the main sellers for nokia. But in order to run the phone properly, you have to turn them off. Rubbish.

Power UP

In the zone
See the 5800 was great for the price. But the N97 at more than double the price is clearly overpriced.
It neither has extreme features like 8 or 12mp cam with xenon or hd recording or omap processor and nor has a ui like iphone's filled with transitions (it still has single-double click stuff).

Its clearly 5800 + qwerty + minor upgrades = 2x price

The so called 32 gb is wasted feature for nearly "99.99%" people. Only a few eccentric people will fill up that entire thing. Instead they should have given 16gb and 256mb ram. This combination would had been good for most.

Almost the entire competition is using a powerful omap processors like Satio, Omnia HD, Palm pre and even the iphone. In turn u get phones which are quite capable of sustaining themselves even with all those transitions etc. and still perform smoothly.

At the moment its like 95 classic, a flawed flagship. But still 95-c was one of the most feature packed phone of its time, but N97 is more like stitching of old hardware.

^^ And N97 performs "great", i wonder what you will call the Nvidia Tegra ^^

This video shows what a good processor can do, and what u lose by getting satisfied with mediocrity especially when u are paying so much.

NVIDIA Tegra @ MWC 09

And for the omap, the iphone is the living example as what a ui can be when its properly optimized.

sujoyp

Grand Master
wow the video of tegra is real good....I hope it comes fast...it can handle a powerful UI easily

anyone wants to get hands on n97??

search for n on think digit has begun today.. see this *www.thinkdigit.com/carnival/nokia

the fastest and correct answer cud win a phone.. it;s on for 5 days apparently.. :lol:

Tamoghno

Padawan
Problem with the N97 is that its not working great. The widgets and transitions were touted to be the main sellers for nokia. But in order to run the phone properly, you have to turn them off. Rubbish.

obviously i am not comparing with tegra/snapdragon , but does these videos look slow to you ?

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN_LSKwnX10

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSEkm8ZTyKE

*www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJGiM1srh80

ziha786

Journeyman
@Follower of krazzy
Its Cool Thanks For Information But I have Missed 1 day so now can i play from today.

anyone wants to get hands on n97??

search for n on think digit has begun today.. see this *www.thinkdigit.com/carnival/nokia

the fastest and correct answer cud win a phone.. it;s on for 5 days apparently.. :lol:

sagar.best

Don't mess with me.
Well now there is no difference between a PSP and a mobile... (in size)... 2.5 inch screen a damn big for a mobile but it's looks cool..

talwar

Broken In
I think this Widget is the problem with Nokia N97, But Iphone is used more of a fashion oriented device, which is sleek , gives a premium look and also has loads of applications. If you are holding an Iphone, people know that its THE iPhone, but here Nokia N97 could make people confuse with HTC or a Sony Xperia.

Tamoghno

Padawan
I think this Widget is the problem with Nokia N97, But Iphone is used more of a fashion oriented device, which is sleek , gives a premium look and also has loads of applications. If you are holding an Iphone, people know that its THE iPhone, but here Nokia N97 could make people confuse with HTC or a Sony Xperia.

if you dont like the widgets , a simple swipe will hide those with a clean screen . or you can even turn widgets off.

i agree that all these phone looks quite similar . though i think white is kinda cool and stands apart

i played around with n97 for a while at a blogger event.. here's my take

speed and reactivity: its the most snappier nseries device that i hv seen so far.. was quite impressed with it... this was an early sales pack so had all widgets and content bunged into it
screen and touch: very compact, easy to hold, good for emails, gaming and gud browsing exp, very responsive
UI: this is the best... the home screen widgets and drag and drop r real good to use.. has some amazing short cuts and u can actually drag and move menu folders .. that was interesting
camera: is just fine, nothing that i haven't seen b4

i will gv it a 8.5 out of 10.. i just wished if the back cover was more premium and easy to handle.. slightly cumbersome. otherwise no real complaints .. its got its own league for sure 8)

here's a pic.. mind u it was dark in the room..

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0925/d9dc783b34b84725b53f087b37926980.jpg

Tamoghno

Padawan
Similar?? N97 is all plastic while Xperia is all metal. You need to be blind to not make them apart.

Yeah , sorry i was blind . Actually xperia is the greatest piece of phone in this world made from specially choosen material found in this universe. Also xperia was designed by some people who are actually not people but a improved species of god . Thats why Its so beautiful that you'd rather look at an xperia over some man made things like iphone or Sonam kapoor. Also since its made of specially choosen material , none of the xperia would ever have any built quality issues or subpar sliding mechanism . Only problem was that the people of a planet called earth was so stupid that they never realised how great this was because it was too good for those worldly people.

Happy ? Now STFU

talwar

Broken In
i played around with n97 for a while at a blogger event.. here's my take

speed and reactivity: its the most snappier nseries device that i hv seen so far.. was quite impressed with it... this was an early sales pack so had all widgets and content bunged into it
screen and touch: very compact, easy to hold, good for emails, gaming and gud browsing exp, very responsive
UI: this is the best... the home screen widgets and drag and drop r real good to use.. has some amazing short cuts and u can actually drag and move menu folders .. that was interesting
camera: is just fine, nothing that i haven't seen b4

i will gv it a 8.5 out of 10.. i just wished if the back cover was more premium and easy to handle.. slightly cumbersome. otherwise no real complaints .. its got its own league for sure 8)

here's a pic.. mind u it was dark in the room..

*media.share.ovi.com/m1/s/0925/d9dc783b34b84725b53f087b37926980.jpg

lucky u :shock:

i am betting if u win a n97 thru search for n @ digit :oops:
*www.thinkdigit.com/carnival/nokia

sujoyp

Grand Master
@Tamoghno...soo u got frustated:-D

But tell me when u praise that e71 build quality is great due to metallic finish...y not same with xperia....
if e63 has poor build quality due to plastic same goes with n97 too..

soo whats the problem here8)

Tamoghno

Padawan
@Tamoghno...soo u got frustated:-D

But tell me when u praise that e71 build quality is great due to metallic finish...y not same with xperia....
if e63 has poor build quality due to plastic same goes with n97 too..

soo whats the problem here8)

Yeah i am frustrated . E71 have better build quality than e63 which have better built quality than N85, with more metal than e63. Using metal alone does not warrant better built quality. Those chepo chinese phones probably uses more metal than all nokia and se combined and still breaks by just dropping once.

Btw , i never meant xperia had bad built quality . Infact , i still think its best looking windows mobile . (though i've heard about slider giving problem over time , but since none of my friend have that phone , i cant wont argue over it).
But N97 also have not seen ANY negetive review regarding its build and feel . Even the reviews that trashed n97 in all other points appreciated that n97's sliding mechanism and build.

vk123

Broken In
Hi Guys ,

I found the N97 interesting

chk out the n97 camera samples

n97 vs iphone 3g pics

and check out the hands on video

I don't agree with the BoyGenius review .

*www.fonearena.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/img_2550.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom